Castlight Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 Feb 2020

3.7
Castlight Chief Executive Officer Maeve OMeara
Maeve OMeara
Pros
  • "Great flexibility for work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• "The best culture I've ever experienced with passionate, smart people, no egos, and an excellent product that is changing healthcare(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are some growing pains due to the recent merger and the fact that the product is still changing(in 22 reviews)

• "Work life balance is worst I have ever seen(in 15 reviews)

"Good place to start an engineering career but executive team is unable to execute"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Great work life balance and remote culture. Able to work from home 1 day a week * Great place to start your career; lots of mentorship and senior engineers to help develop your skills * Higher amount of experienced and senior engineers who bring maturity to engineering culture

Cons

* Company is unable to execute and growth the business. Every year leadership would present a new vision which would fall largely flat in terms of revenue growth. Leadership would make excuses for the stock price performance, but any fundamental stock investor could see that the stock price has crashed because business performance is very weak. Don't let any executive fool you, the stock price is fair. * Company went through 2 layoffs during my tenure * Engineering culture is weak on deployment and monitoring; features can fail for weeks without someone knowing. The plus side is that no team has on call (but really it shouldn't be this way) * Engineering shipping culture is similar to consulting company rather than a product company; engineers get staffed on a high impact project and once done get put on another project. Very little iteration and refinement on product features once they are launched (onto to the next big thing). Most of these big projects don't move the needle on the business * Engineering SVP was focused on building a culture of shipping many things, rather than shipping impactful things. I was staffed on many “high impact” projects that once launched were quickly forgotten and had little impact on bottom line. * To go with above point, we are not good at testing product market fit. PM team (while pulling long hours) does not do enough to actually ensure the features they build actually have impact on revenue, retention, and preventing churn. * Company has an unhealthy culture of using Java for everything. There is a "Java" mindset in how we tackle all our problems and because of that we miss easy solutions that involved technologies outside of the Java ecosystem. All things being equal, polyglot engineers are stronger than single language engineers and unfortunately the Castlight culture pushes away polyglots

Castlight2020-02-13

"I have never experienced a better company or team of colleagues"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Castlight full-time for less than a year

Pros

My Management truly cares about fostering a trust based relationship with all of us. The entire company cares about creating a fabulous position, with our peers as a true secondary family. I have never had more open and accepting coworkers. One of our trainers started off with "Bring yourself to work." It is an environment that is changing me on the deepest of levels and for the best. I have never had leaders that wanted me to succeed. Never had a leader do anything other than threaten me to get the results that they wanted from me. Here, they truly promote growing together and not looking too harshly upon mistakes. This job has changed my confidence levels. I can truly feel myself transforming as a person here. Great pay and wonderfully rare benefits. Parental leave is equal for the genders and fabulously rare for the US as a whole. Free tampons in the restrooms for the Ladies. Work sponsored Happy Hours. I truly love my job, without reservations. For the first time in my life.

Cons

Technical issues, mostly. Those come with time. The San Francisco office is also very... privileged...and it can be a bit hard to swallow sometimes. I come from a poverty level upbringing, and they are definitely used to and expect a level of luxury from their extra perks that isn't seen in the Utah office (trips to Disneyland, Galas, etc.), let alone most businesses, and then when the company starts making more money they expect more luxurious perks. To provide some context, we are also still essentially a startup and it can sometimes seem a bit superfluous to someone like me for a company to already provide free lunch, once an week and then have someone from a particular office then ask that their specific office receive free lunch twice a week. Simply because the company is making more money. That isn't necessarily a problem with Castlight but the general mentality of it has been causing some contention in the Utah office.

Castlight2020-01-25

Castlight Response

January 27, 2020

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Castlight in Utah. Culture is extremely important to us, and we want our employees to feel confident about themselves so they can do their best work . Castlight sponsors weekly Friday lunches at site locations. We did have a request for 2 lunches per week, but it was not in our budget to do so. Additional lunches and going on group trips are at the discretion of department budget and are not company-wide sponsored events. Castlight recently held a SF local Gala event and all were invited. I recommend discussing these types of requests with your team leader or your HR representative. Thanks again for your review, and we truly hope you continue to enjoy working at Castlight.

Continue reading
  3. "Great promise but poor execution"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the best people you will ever work with: smart, driven, kind.

Cons

We just didn't ship product and would future sell deals that would hurt our roadmap and ability to execute.

Castlight2019-12-30

"Great start... but went downhill after that."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays well. Liked the product before Jiff.

Cons

Terrible management. Don't really care about employees. Don't reward loyalty. Really had an identity crisis, especially when Jiff added to the mix. Jiff leaders took over and it went down from there.

Castlight2020-01-07
  5. "Partiality and favoritism affecting employee morale"

Former Employee - Full Time Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Good location . • Talented Engineers. • Periodical All hand meetings /Hackathon

Cons

• Partiality and favoritism. It is very fundamental management concept to treat all employees equally and motivate them. This simple concept is ignored here affecting employee morale and causing turnover.

Castlight2019-12-25

"Supportive and flexible"

Current Employee - Senior Engagement Strategy Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible schedule and good work/life balance (can work from home at times, schedule doctor appoints during work hours, etc. Note: work/life balance varies by department; this review is for Engagement Strategy) - Great pay and benefits - Supportive staff and management that wants you to do the work that excites and motivates you - Good long term company vision and adaptability

Cons

- We're going through some company changes in 2019, including change of CEO earlier this year. I think it's a great change for the long run, but understand change is hard for some people. That combined with our current low stock price may affect some people's drive to continue working here but not everyone's

Castlight2019-12-03

"Company going through transformation with INCREDIBLE culture"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Castlight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Castlight certainly has its challenges, but is really trying to turn things around. There are growing pains of a company going through a transformation, but significant progress has been made since turning the company around in the middle of 2019. Leadership: Maeve has been making an effort to turn around a company that had frankly lost its way under the last CEO. There are a lot of new leaders who are energized and have hit the ground running, and past, ineffective leaders have all but left the company. It feels like morale has been higher overall, and faith is being restored by new leadership. Culture: It's really special here. In the past three months, there has been an active emphasis on prioritizing company culture. The company put together a team of over 40 employees from around the company and has been focused on the employee experience. I've never been at a company that celebrates diversity and inclusion the way Castlight does. Work-life balance: I can only speak for the SF office and my personal experience, but wow is work-life balance great! Teams have dedicated days to work from home. There is general trust an autonomy to get things done on your own time -- you are treated like an adult that can manage their own schedule and find their own balance. Growth / promotional opportunity: in my experience and on my team, we have seen promotions based on merit (not tenure) which is very different from the previous world I came from. Career growth is encouraged and supported!

Cons

Previous leadership left holes in the company: From 2018 to mid-2019, leadership was ineffective/unqualified, and promotions (primarily because of the politics after the Jiff acquisition) were unwarranted. For example, the former President promoted one of his own to a VERY senior and critical position with nearly zero experience -- a product/R&D person was charged with leading all of customer experience with no prior related experience! Another prominent example of bad leadership was the previous CEO before Maeve. Phrases like "absentee CEO" were thrown around as no one had seen or heard from him for months. Without a word or goodbye, he exited the company. The company had lost direction and had emotional scars in the wake of poor leadership. Since then, morale has felt higher and it's clear how much Maeve and new leadership are working to be transparent and connected to the employee base, but there is still work to do (in some parts of the organization more than others).

Castlight2019-11-27

"Clear leader in health tech, great team"

I have been working at Castlight

Pros

Great place to grow professionally while having a significant impact in healthcare - few other health tech companies have reach and influence that Castlight has with insurance and employers. That means tons of opportunity for growth. New CEO was original product visionary and has assembled an all-star team of executors. Fully transparent decision making is motivating and inspiring.

Cons

Company is operating in a dynamic market, meaning it’s very fast-paced. Jiff merger back in 2017 took company away from focus on innovation, but with new leadership, focus is once again on building industry leading products.

Castlight2019-11-25

"Lots of room to learn and grow professionally!"

Current Employee - Business Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of work to be done at this company which results in many opportunities for professional growth and development. The work is meaningful and important.

Cons

The company is in an adjustment phase with new leadership, which has resulted in some minor changes internally.

Castlight2019-11-22

"Sinking company with poor leadership"

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great front line folks, nice office location, snacks.

Cons

General favoritism is rampant across all functions. Just look at all the promotions even at executive and senior leadership level. It is funny and sad to see how people who have tanked this company are getting promoted to executive leadership positions. Poor quality code and tech stack. Severe morale issue with front line engineers. Heard even product managers are bailing ship given how poor leaders are making decisions. High attrition all around.

Castlight2019-11-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 327 reviews