Channel Five Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Channel Five Reviews

Updated 4 Jun 2019

3.1
Channel Five CEO Stan Myerson & Martin Ellice (no image)
Stan Myerson & Martin Ellice
  1. "Senior Graphic Designer"

I have been working at Channel Five full-time

Pros

Great friendly and experienced team

Cons

We don't have an unlimited budget

Channel Five2018-06-20
  2. "Great company"

I worked at Channel Five full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good bunch of people

Cons

Poor flexible working opportunities

Channel Five2019-06-04
  3. "No pros but a lot of fox!"

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in London, England

I worked at Channel Five for more than a year

Pros

Some great people in the design house and production and there is a banging barista in the foyer.

Cons

Unfortunately the people who make the creative decision are not qualified and should just concentrate on managing.

Advice to Management

Hire one proper art/creative director to save the show!

Channel Five2019-04-02
  4. "Fun place to work that's going from strength to strength"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Channel Five full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at C5 for 7 years, and at almost every point in that time, the company was ambitiously chasing industry leaders. It feels good working for an underdog that was fighting for it's place in the industry. As a result, there are talented and ambitious people at every level, in every department. This cultivates a really energy and aspirational work environment. The were plenty of opportunities to get stuck... into to a large variety of work. I was always encouraged to throw my ideas into the ring, and often they were followed by the support and resources needed to actually bring them to fruition, even if it wasn't technically part of my normal job. No one took themselves or their jobs too seriously, at least not all the time. Everyone was aware of the importance of a work/life balance, and rarely did projects become unhealthy. The highest levels of management are completely approachable, and actively encourage people to engage with them. The quality of work has, on the whole, improved vastly. When left alone, colleges become real families, there is a great sense of belonging on a team level. It seems to attract a really high quality calibre of people. You will meet some friends for life.

Cons

Progression is tough, as teams are small and people stay in their jobs for a long time. Viacom are keen on touting their schemes for training and progression, but it rarely comes to fruition. Expect a good job with good people, but it's not a place to stay for a long time.

Advice to Management

Channel 5 has never been more relevant amongst it's audience, and is winning awards for everything it does at every level - yet the teams making this happen are slowly falling apart due to attrition. I've seen so many talented people go off to other places, when they wanted nothing more than to continue doing good at C5. People *want* to work there, they just need the money and titles they deserve. Don't be scared... to give these people what they want, they will reward your believe in them 100x over.

Channel Five2018-09-06
  5. "More the name"

I have been working at Channel Five full-time

Pros

Strong Brand Chance to work across channels Open plan office

Cons

Poor development Poor Salary Lost in the big business

Advice to Management

Increase Career development opportunities.

Channel Five2018-05-04
  6. "Sales manager"

I worked at Channel Five

Pros

Loved every minute of it! Great team, great leadership and was overall a great place to work with a fantastic culture.

Cons

They sold channel 5 to sky, it was a shame to lose such an awesome group of people

Channel Five2017-01-31
  7. "Good place - nowhere to go up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Channel Five full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked there before Viacom took over but ... The people who worked there were very hardworking and good at what they do Good work ethic Good location

Cons

Progression options pretty limited Can be clique-y

Channel Five2016-10-19
  8. "Not sure"

I worked at Channel Five

Pros

people, pay, lots of lunches

Cons

Can't think of any cons to the company

Channel Five2016-06-27

"Awful place! Wish I had read the 1st review."

I worked at Channel Five

Pros

Viacom incentives, Good central location.

Cons

The environment harkens to the 1950's. Very backward in relation to what the rest of the world is aware of and what the industry as a whole is doing. With a self professed 'UKIPPY' image it isn't uncommon to be privy to offensive and racist comments or discriminatory behaviour which I found shocking. Many employees have talents which aren't being utilised in accordance with their roles, which is why many left during... my time there. The revolving door of employees speaks volumes. After having heard and seen the suspect actions of management and HR if you decide to join this company, join a union!!!!! Good Luck!

Channel Five2016-05-31
  10. "Retrospective Review"

Acquisitions Executive in London, England

I worked at Channel Five

Pros

Hired great people: the people are the business. Good management and open dialogues. Encouraged fun and social interaction. Organised away days, Christmas parties etc

Cons

Not enough access to development courses, talks, training. No internal opportunities to learn for development and no mentoring

Advice to Management

Could have encouraged internal promotion and development instead of looking externally.

Channel Five2016-03-31