Cherwell Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Sam Gilliland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains seem to be getting worse, good people are leaving" (in 13 reviews)

• "They will preach about how we care about our employees and work life balance yet you are shunned if you dont answer emails on days off or the evenings" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cherwell is a Rising Star"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Cherwell Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cherwell has a great culture of putting customers first. This sounds cliche, but this is what our customers tell us day in and day out. The Cherwell product is also great and moving in the right direction.

Cons

Cherwell has gone through a lot of change over the last 2 years...all the recent executive hires including the CEO have been very good adds to the company.

1 Nov 2018 – Associate Communications Specialist

We’re happy you love it here at Cherwell. Thank you for taking the time to share your love of the Cherwell family with everyone!

"Senior Marketing Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Operations Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Operations Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Cherwell Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really like my boss. Very honest, supportive and easy to work with. I know that this point is not actually company specific , but it is the biggest reason why I'm currently so happy at Cherwell.

- Lovely offices both in Reading, UK (where I am based) and at the company HQ in Colorado Springs, US

- A lot of tools (also see cons) for Marketers to use, which is good from the point of view of career development

- A lot of young and bright people who are a pleasure to work with

- Marketing is considered important in this organisation and as a result we have decent budgets and good standing in the company. This is not the case in many other organisations I've worked with.

- Flexible working as long as you do your hours and your work

- Competitive Salary

Cons

- Tools require management, which makes this a busy job. Sometimes I feel we almost have too many tools and don't have the time/resources to leverage them all fully.

- As I report into the US and have global scope, I do end up going on quite a few late evening calls. Alas, that is par for the course of working at a multi-national organisation.

- 40 hours per week is quite long in terms of contractual hours in the UK. I know that we all likely do more than that, but all other companies I've worked for have either done 35 or 37.5 contractual hours

- Missing some benefits that a company of this size in UK should have such as Childcare vouchers. That said, due to the competitive remuneration, this is a small con point.

Advice to Management

Avoid making processes too complex and using too many systems

Keep the friendly start-up feel going

"Poisonous toxic company"

I worked at Cherwell Software full-time

Pros

Local leadership were very professional and fantastic to work for.

Cons

Toxic and poisonous environment. Product needs enormous investment. Don't believe the MQ!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of ALL of the nasty small minded and unambitious old school Cherwell people

30 Dec 2018 – Associate Communications Specialist

Thank you for the time you took to provide feedback. Your concerns have been read and we encourage you to reach our to hr@cherwell.com so that we can improve on specifics.

"Look at how many of the leadership team have left over the last year....and ask yourself Why?"

Former Employee - Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive in London, England

I worked at Cherwell Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market opportunity is huge but ServiceNow are so far ahead

Cons

Not fair to share in this forum but I am sure any of the recently departed execs would be happy to share their experiences. - reach out to them.

Advice to Management

The company will never reach its full potential while the original founders remain involved

6 Dec 2018 – Associate Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As a growing software company, it is our goal to build a team that is adaptable to the changes necessary to keep in stride with our markets and... More

"Change of Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at Cherwell Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cherwell value's people that can make a difference to the business and I think the changes within engineering, where I work have been positive. They offer competitive salaries, which again enables Cherwell to attract talented people to the business.

The work is really challenging, which gives you a chance to sharpen your skills particularly in debugging and understanding complex relationships in code.

They're also fairly flexible when it comes to meeting your needs as an individual.

The product potential is huge once you get your head around it.

Cons

Our work is a little fragmented in terms of the projects we work on.

The complexity I mentioned as a positive can also be our Achilles heel. Folks are very nervous about changes in the product and sometimes will baulk at the prospect of changing code. It feels like a fear thing and makes it difficult to move forward.

Advice to Management

I need to see a vision. I think we're over thinking stuff and what we need is a proverbial 'lick of paint' on the interface and some new content and features.

Show me a vision and OWN IT!

Oh and if you have time sort out sales...

"And so it came to pass"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Cherwell Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people used to work there

Cons

Without a doubt some of the worst people I have had the displeasure to work with.
    Sadly the main culprits have "resigned" or been moved on with no impact on themselves. However, during their tenure (can't call it management) a significant number of people had their lives affected really badly and they have had to pick up the pieces, whereas the people responsible walk away.

Advice to Management

When will you hold HR accountable for the role they have played in all of this? You may have taken out some of the rotten apples but the damage has been immense and I am sure that it won't be long before the company is rolled into the larger competitor that KKR has acquired too.

"Toxic working environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I worked at Cherwell Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Trips to Colorado Springs
    Salary is above average

Cons

The company vision - Cherwell used to pride itself on being non-private equity funded and that would never happen... now it's majority owned by a private equity firm.

CEO let go for ripping the culture out of the business, what remains is a divide and conquer mentality and no employee is valuable.

I wouldn't recommend Cherwell to anyone.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be inclusive and employ senior managers who can push this through the business, otherwise you'll continue to have this revolving door..

"Going places!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at Cherwell Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of positive moves to take this company up a gear, drive rapid growth and build a successful and sustainable company. Very honest, open executive management style.

Very nice environment to work in and whilst change and growth means everything is not perfect (is it anywhere?) the willingness to work together to fix things and move towards perfection is here.

Cons

If you don't want to commit and work hard, not for you

Advice to Management

Liking what I hear and the culture you are driving

"Toxic EMEA business and coercive management"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Cherwell Software full-time

Pros

Great product and value proposition.

Cons

Coercive management
    Out of touch
    Do not value staff
    Do not adhere to US company values
    High staff churn rate
    HR too closely aligned with the interests of business and not the employee

Advice to Management

Ask the question why so many good people have left the business and get a reality check. In my entire career, I have never experienced anybody at any level be so disrespectful, rude, unprofessional and back-stabbing.

"Can this place get any worse?"

I have been working at Cherwell Software full-time

Pros

Its local to my house.

Cons

Very much a them and us situation. We very rarely see the side of the business that resides in Reading and that includes our leader who I think I've met a handful of times max since he took over from the last guy who was exactly the same.
    Away from the people, our product is really struggling. We receive calls every day about failed upgrades, systems down and this is what we push as some of our USP's. Its unfortunate but our software seems badly out of date now and very old fashioned. Our customers are having a hard time putting up with this too.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff more. The focus seems to be on sales and self gratification and looking after no 1. It used to be more about our customers and our staff,