Clintons Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 January 2019

2.1
Dominique Schurman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "decent pay, good staff discount, good hours" (in 26 reviews)

• "40% discount however this is restricted to certain items" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, no work / family balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Upper management have some flaws in some of their ideas for stores that really do not work in practise" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Clintons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company moving in the right direction regarding its people, Health & Safety within stores, can now plan ahead with over a months notice of planned moves/store changes & deliveries etc.

Great discounts

Great employees

Cons

No overtime pay for Managers.

Advice to Management

Carry on looking after your people and your people will look after you making the new business a success.

2. "Great place to work at!"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Clintons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scope for growth in the retail business. Lots of training provided, great performers get to train newcomers as well. Quick response and support from management regarding any issues. (Glassdoor doesn't have the option, I worked here till 2009)

Cons

Experienced sales associates are not promoted by biased store managers many a times, that leaves a lot of performers frustrated until middle or top management can interfere. Some store managers are way too biased towards complexion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, try to get impartial news about employees who are performing well throughout a quarter and make them management trainees, and if possible store managers.

3. "Part-time Review"

Pros

Discount is great and there is always something happening in terms of preparing for various holidays. It can help to take away the boredom of everyday retail.

Cons

All the health and safety..but i suppose that is understanable. Also, the deliveries that came into our store were too much sometimes, especially the time of day they would come in, creating stress where there shouldnt have been any.

Advice to Management

Sort out when the deliveries come in, and also, they were too much preparing for Christmas...I was all burnt out on Christmas week because of all the massive deliveries that needed to be processed during December.

4. "Seasonal team member"

I worked at Clintons part-time

Pros

good discount and staff are friendly

Cons

not enough hours always available

"Major management and company issues"

Former Employee - Retail Consultant in Burton upon Trent, England
    Former Employee - Retail Consultant in Burton upon Trent, England

I worked at Clintons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None now but used to be good staff discount until they changed it

Cons

The list goes on in my case on what’s wrong with the company but I will summarise and try not to be bias with my opinions.

1) Bad management

I started working for the company back in late 2016 part time when studying at college full time. One of the first things I noticed when I started working for the company and from other colleagues that the management there was very poor. My own manager was very condescending, rude and had an all round disgusting attitude toward me and other staff. She once called me a “simpleton” and many other names in front of a floor full of customers when I struggled with tasks relating to my dsylexia. Tasks were not distributed evenly, she would stay upstairs all day in the office leaving only one member of staff on the shop floor to serve do tasks and all look after the shop. Myself and other memebers of staff knew that the time she spent up there was not used for company or even productive reasons and was just a cop out to escape the shop floor and duties. To summarise as I could go on, management have no respect for their staff and are seen more like slaves and a payroll number than as a team.

2) Targets and sales

As a former student I am very aware of the minimum wage when it comes to part time retail work. However with Clinton’s this was pushed to the absolute limit, the job itself was definitely too demanding and challenging especially for minimum wage pay. We had unrealistic sales targets which we did not earn any commission or any incentives for doing so and if we didn’t hit these I know stores who made employees buy products they didn’t sell with their own money to make up for losses. If we didn’t sell products or achieve our daily targets which would be well into the hundreds to make the company in a week or a few days when only doing various 4 hour shifts over the week. As well as this most of my shop would either have to send emails or call the head of the region to explain why we didn’t hit our sales targets and be put on review.

3) Final point overall summary

Management have no respect for employees and in my case the days I could and couldn’t work due to college. Which is fair enough however when most of the staff that work there are student you would hope that they would try and work around your college hours and days but again this did not happen and I would be forced to work on these days or face losing my job. Management is very corrupt there and no complaints are taken seriously or any further due to all the managers being friends. Secondly other aspects like holidays, overtime and your pay day fluctuated and was never on time, considered or even taken seriously if you work here you will have no benefits!

Advice to Management

Like said before the whole issue with the company is the management they employee terrible attitude and no respect for others and their employees. Training is shocking and definitely not worth the hassle and stress for minimum wage and to be coming home every night upset and deflated.

6. "Solid first job with lovely people, but plenty of drawbacks"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Carlisle, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Carlisle, England

I worked at Clintons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Staff discount was 40%
    - Everyone I worked with was friendly
    - Managers had reasonable workload expectations
    - Managers were usually understanding about time off or swapping shifts
    - Progression to assistant manager within a reasonably short space of time was feasible

Cons

- Outdated till software was slow, a bit clunky, and still hadn't updated to accept contactless payment
    - Christmas hours could be intense - starting at 6am or finishing at 10pm which you wouldn't expect in a shop job. With no overtime, I might add
    - Really quite aggressive targets for upsells and getting new loyalty scheme members - this, as you'd expect, annoyed customers
    - Minimum wage payment and not a penny more. Pay was also calculated in 15 minute slots, so if you clocked into your shift even a minute late you would begin to be docked.
    - Clinton's require staff to wear all black - no Clinton's logo, which means you're obliged to pay for your own work clothes
    - Stock room was sometimes poorly organised and lit, which gave me eye strain for a time
    - The number of hours you would get on a part time contract were very unreliable. Over Christmas I could be working 20+ hours per week, over summer it could be 8-12.

Advice to Management

Managers in branch were great - keep it up.
    For the company in general:
    - Please consider paying above minimum wage, especially when staff are expected to work unusual hours for retail
    - Update till software so payments are processed faster (really felt uncomfortable with enormous Christmas queues!) and discounts are simpler to apply
    - Ensure stock rooms are safe and well-maintained in all stores!

"Don’t"

I have been working at Clintons full-time

Pros

Good staff - everyone pulls together
    Constant headaches will at least remind you you’re alive
    Company will be gone within a year

Cons

You WILL NOT be paid for the work you do
    Everyday starts with a demotivating email that spoils the day.
    No manager enjoys working for Clintons so the atmosphere is grim.
    No matter how hard you try you will be condescended to like a child for things out of your control.
    No autonomy. You will see loads of ways to make money but the systems in place will kill those chances.
    After repeatedly being dragged down you will lose steam for the role and the products.

Advice to Management

Don’t advertise your “values” as experiencing life when you don’t care about your staff having one.

Maybe listen to them

8. "Sales Assistant"

Good fun
    Nice customer base

Cons

Management
    Rotas being written too late

9. "Shop assistant"

I worked at Clintons part-time

Pros

Flexible rota, work is manageable

Cons

not easy to get toilet breaks

10. "hard work but rewarding"

I have been working at Clintons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people you work with make the job some of the best people, in it together mentality .

Cons

Dms so busy no time for for the store managers they are very stressed and forget the basis of people management you need to get people to want to work for you.

Advice to Management

A culture of threats to achieve results really is counter productive in the long run.