Connells Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Connells CEO David Livesey
David Livesey
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours (however this is part of the job and not really a con if you can hack it)(in 34 reviews)

• "Long hours for a job where you essentially earn minimum wage(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Board of Management Partner in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Connells full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hard work pays off. Great promotion opppertunities. Good incentives for top achievers.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to manage.

Connells2019-03-17
  2. "Be cautious."

Former Employee - Senior Mortgage Consultant in London, England

I worked at Connells full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are in the right office, the financial rewards are brilliant but you must remember it’s largely commission based so you work for that money. For me the only benefit was the money.

Cons

It really comes down to the manager you come under I believe and how much you wish to feel valued. I was always one of the top performers but never felt good enough. Sales are the number 1 focus above good customer outcome. It doesn’t matter how much you do, more is always expected of you. Expect to work 50-60 hours per week and prepare from pressure from not only your manager but the negotiators and branch managers... too as they have targets to hit, as well as pressures from clients.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible, reward people with what they would work harder for (eg - for me a day off or half day would motivate me a hell of a lot more than a meal out with the team) and remember if you can keep a good advisor long term, they are not just a financial asset to you but also help your team in your absence, etc.

Connells2019-10-15
  3. "New Opportunity"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Leighton Buzzard, England

I have been working at Connells full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great vision around customer and staff alike Friendly committed teams Large company but retains small company feel Great values and determination to deliver change

Cons

Some more freedom around home working when needed to deliver outputs

Connells2019-10-01
  4. "Excellent opportunities m"

Current Employee - Lister in Exeter, England

I have been working at Connells full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great staff, rewards and potential to advance career.

Cons

Heavily targeted, which will not suit all individuals.

Connells2019-09-19
  5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Negotiator in Christchurch, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Connells full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good management style and good work ethic

Cons

Long hours and sometimes micro management

Connells2019-08-20
  6. "Disgraceful"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Negotiator in High Wycombe, England

I worked at Connells full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros at working at connells are really good, the pay structure and the perks you receive are fantastic if you work hard.

Cons

For as far as estate agency goes I’ve never known a branch or company to lie to their clients as much as connells do. They also will encourage you to conditionally sell mortgages which automatically puts people off liking you as an estate agent. They also have the most run down computer systems and do not invest enough in there IT department which I believe is a massive part of estate agency in the 21st... century......(try and use their Website and see how badly presented it is for yourself) Connells also lie on every occasion possible to make you feel like your questions and questions are being listened too, but the truth is they only care about money and numbers rather than their staff that genuinely make a conscious effort to make it happen every day. Stay clear of this company.

Advice to Management

invest more heavily in IT departments and be more humble to members of staff, my experience has been far from pleasant and cannot not stress enough the fact that all directors and manegers come across as being very hostile. Change everything is my advise.

Connells2019-09-19

"A safe company to choose in a market that is crumbling"

Current Employee - Lister

I have been working at Connells full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on the office the team are great potential to control your own income career progression established brand

Cons

very low basics compared to other companies in the same sector. high targets that are often not realistic based on the branches budget long hours where you are made to feel bad for taking an hour lunch break contracted weekends 6 days one week 5 days the next

Advice to Management

offer flexi time, dont talk to the staff like crap at meetings and perhaps pay competetive basics if you want to keep staff.

Connells2019-08-22
  8. "Great team here but small slice of commission"

Current Employee - Sales Negotiator in Thame, England

I have been working at Connells full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Team in Thame Very Professional Great Competitiveness

Cons

Minimal Commission from Sales from as low as 3% of company’s fee Long hours (however this is part of the job and not really a con if you can hack it)

Advice to Management

Increase commission, especially you are making the company good money and reward good salesmanship at all levels.

Connells2019-08-05
  9. "Horrific experience"

Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in Bristol, England

I worked at Connells full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some nice people to have a laugh with in the office and to go to the pub (to drown your sorrows) after work

Cons

Literally everything. Pathetic pay, awful management, ridiculous working hours, bullying and scaremongering tactics, awful commission (which they will steal off you when you leave anyway), all liars, stupid targets. Horrible horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Remember your staff are PEOPLE not numbers. They need to earn enough money to enjoy life, not just to live. Forcing people into mortgage appointments is just bad practice. People like to have their own advisors. The VENDORS are your actual clients, not the buyers. Focus on them before you focus on whatever the buyer needs from you - the buyer isn’t going to pay you a percentage of the sale of the house. Senior... Management: man up and address the big issues in your area (like the market and the office dynamics) before coming for individual, junior members of staff. Calling the managers at 9pm when they are at home with their kids is beyond unprofessional, and refusing to speak to me for FIVE MONTHS because I was lied to about the job is infantile.

Connells2019-08-27
  10. "Good people, poor management"

Former Employee - Premises Maintenance Coordinator in Leighton Buzzard, England

I worked at Connells full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly team atmosphere, hour long lunch break.

Cons

Unfair treatment of staff across different levels of the business, low salaries, inflexible, culture of mistrust, cramped office spaces.

Advice to Management

Introduce a more flexible approach to work, trust employees more, make an effort to develop and bolster employees.

Connells2019-07-22