Countrywide plc Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Countrywide plc Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 267 reviews

3.4
Countrywide plc CEO Paul Creffield (no image)
Paul Creffield
Cons
  1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff, salary, training and work environment

Cons

Nothing comes to mind to be honest

Countrywide plc2019-08-14
  2. "Branch Manager role"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great career progression opportunities. Incentives always on offer.

Cons

More work than reward for the effort that is put in. Low Basic salaries

Countrywide plc2019-09-17

"Glorified call centre"

Former Employee - Administrative in Nottingham, England

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All team leaders I had genuinely cared about their staff when they were given the time to do so. I say this as they are there to support their teams but hardly get to spend time with them as they are constantly in meetings or managing recruitment. Other admin all get along very well as they are all in a "same boat" mentality. Some times we can earn a can of pop or a packet of crisps.

Cons

Work culture is non existent. Call center levels of stress for minimum wage. ZERO chance of progression. Targets for commission are constantly changed, once targets are met they are increased. No feedback on audits so if you fail your audit and don't get commission you aren't told why and can't improve. Not enough space for staff in break out areas. Car park is absolute chaos, no where near enough space... for staff. No support as seniors moved to another team and team leaders constantly busy in meetings with upper management or handling complaints. No one to ones or team meetings, team meetings get pushed back due to work volumes and never get rearranged. System constantly freezes or has issues. Management constantly walking around office shouting about targets which people on the phones can hear. Team leaders made redundant as we don't need that many and then replaced months later. Teams constantly being moved around.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the staff feedback meeting to work on improving staff morale which is at an all time low. Instead of giving people crisps and pop as a reward give them something worthwhile, if you cannot afford a pay rise give them early finishes or paid holiday. Don't treat your staff like children. You need to really consider paying your employees more or you will lose more of them. The job is now a call... center as much as you hate the CC word you should pay your staff enough to reflect how much pressure you are putting on them. Give the teams back their seniors or let the team leaders spend more time with them as there is no support. Don't rearrange team meetings and one to ones these give staff an actual chance to give feedback and when they are cancelled and forgotten about it just reiterates the fact that their opinions aren't cared about. Invest more in your employees or you are going to lose even more of them.

Countrywide plc2019-09-04
  4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Property Lawyer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of support within a volume based Conveyancing firm. Decent pay and bonuses when achievable

Cons

Highly stressfully due to group estate agents and clients. Poor IT systems (due to change)

Advice to Management

Improve IT systems

Countrywide plc2019-08-21
  5. "Countrywide mortgages"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Mortgage and Protection Consultant in Brighton, England

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great training, well paid, very supportive

Cons

No particular cons to mention

Countrywide plc2019-08-20
  6. "Told me I had a job then retracted this and had me running in circles for over a month!"

I worked at Countrywide plc

Pros

First area manager that offered me the job, was lovely and very supportive.

Cons

New area manager told me that it didn’t matter I had left my job, had a start date and was hired by the area manager and a branch manager that was off sick Reluctant to communicate with me

Advice to Management

Don’t confirm someone has a job then offer them one day a week voluntary work!

Countrywide plc2019-09-16
  7. "The business is in a mess, middle management are woeful"

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large company covering multiple areas in property.

Cons

They are in financial trouble and closing stores all over the place. The management is a mess, I chose to leave after 20 years because there is no direction, just unprofessional, bullying mis-management.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees with a little more respect.

Countrywide plc2019-09-15
  8. "Countrywide has a bad rep for a reason"

Former Employee - Sales & Lettings Negotiator in Leeds, England

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

I could walk to work

Cons

Less than minimum wage 6 day weeks Negative emails daily from Area Managers, etc One of the most expensive estate agents in the country, and yet clients had to pay for professional photography, no longer ordered brochures, have an outdated CMS that crashed Targeted and monitored for everything- including number of phone calls made.

Advice to Management

Treat people as people not numbers. Pay a fair wage. Look at the reasons why so many people are resigning. Trust your staff.

Countrywide plc2019-09-10
  9. "Poor management and bullying"

Former Employee - Sales in Bournemouth, England

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

great clients, fast pace busy days

Cons

Management, never satisfied, bullying culture, old school mentality. stab you in the back

Countrywide plc2019-09-02
  10. "Great place to start out, but quickly move away from!"

Former Employee - Senior Lettings Negotiator in Crewe, England

I worked at Countrywide plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is second to none

Cons

Long hours, over time expected, but not rewarded. Management who don't have the authority to make decisions, more decorative then informative. Members of staff who are NOT fit to do the job they are employed to do. Heathwise are medically unfit to work the hours and use the equipment they need to use to complete their day to day. We aware, whatever basic salary you agreed to at the start, will be what it is for... eternity. No 'real' promotions or progression unless you are willing to move out of area. Managers and senior rolls, are rocking around in private company vehicles, not for pool use. Yet the entire company is on a hiring/wage increasing freeze....

Advice to Management

Be fairer. Reward good members of staff. Don't run them into the ground, and be sat there scratching your head on why they are unhappy or seeking employment elsewhere.

Countrywide plc2019-09-01