Coupa Software Inc Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Coupa Software Inc CEO Rob Bernshteyn
Rob Bernshteyn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Interesting work challenges, good work life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "Company is growing rapidly in terms of headcount and client base and also the feature set they deliver out" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-Life balance varies from department to department" (in 9 reviews)

• "Nothing outside of normal thresholds for growing pains associated with a company that is scaling at this rate" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Regional Vice President - Sales"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President - Sales

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Coupa is growing 40% a year.
    * Great culture ... "we are all in it together" mentality.
    * The whole company rallies around new customer acquisition while also ensuring our current customers achieve value (you don't have to cringe when mentioning who you work for at parties).
    * Strong executive leadership team, including a passionate, driven CEO with a vision to lead Coupa from the David to the Goliath in the spend management industry
    * Industry leading products as validated by Gartner, Forrester and IDC. As the leader, you get invited to the dance on nearly every spend management evaluation.
    * An increasing number of net-new leads -- including from marketing (inbound) and inside sales (outbound). It's the best lead generation engine I've seen in all my 20+ years in the software business.
    * Growing stock price results in significant upside in total compensation.
    * Sales incentive plans rival the top software companies in the industry
    * Plenty of accounts for account executives ... the pie has not been divided to the point where your income potential is limited.
    * Our demos rock! You will not lose a demo bakeoff.
    * If you love to hunt the big deal, this is the place for you. You have the opportunity to make your annual quota on one deal and also have an opportunity to blow out quota.
    * Implementation partners, including the Tier 1s, are building strong Coupa practices and will support you during and after the sales cycle.
    * Strong business value engineering team to minimize the chance of losing to do nothing or losing out to other software projects competing for budget.
    * The opportunity to take it to the ERP vendors ... this is especially fun for those who have worked for them in the past.

Cons

After sharing all those positives above ... I'm going to do my best to identify what prospective salespeople might consider cons to Coupa.
    * You must have a lot of energy to work at Coupa. It is a fast-paced environment and filled with passionate employees who expect each team member to carry their weight. If you don't fit this description, do not join Coupa. We are not a large company so it is next to impossible to hide underperformance.
    * For account executives, you must get a thrill out of the hunt. This is not a role where you can sit back and ask "where are the Glengarry leads?" You need to be adept at prospecting, leveraging multiple methods to open doors (in many cases they don't own any Coupa products yet), working with inside sales & marketing, networking etc. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have that fire in the belly for building pipeline. If so, you will be successful at Coupa.
    * SAP is walking their Ariba counterpart in the door and they outnumber us. However, if we get in the door, we can win. If the CIO is willing to align with what the business stakeholders want - and doesn't force an SAP agenda - we win a large percentage of these deals.
    * Some of the big deals take a long time to close ... sometimes all the way up to 1.5 to 2 years. However, there are also cases where they move more quickly where a company has a formal initiative, you create a compelling financial case for change and/or an executive drives a top-down initiative, Great deal execution can accelerate the deal but sometimes companies just move slow.
    * The most successful salespeople at Coupa are assertive and willing to push back where the prospect is not approaching an engagement in a spirit of mutual respect and partnering. If you are a "nice person" who feels your main reason for being successful is relationship selling and following your client's process, then you may not be cut out for a sales role at Coupa.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in marketing and inside sales to grow pipeline (Chandar is making a huge impact). Continue to believe in your sales organization and respect that some sales cycles take a long time, with the potential for starts/stops, due to issues outside of sales control. Avoid giving backhanded compliments in front of broad audiences saying "finally, this has come in ... it's about time" on the win announcements. Also consider that a new rep's ramp-up varies depending on the maturity of the region they will be working in (e.g. previous sales coverage) and their account list. Consider working with the RVPs and VPs to estimate the ramp and get creative to financially take care of those reps who may take a bit longer to get on the board. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing. I'm proud to work for Coupa and would highly recommend working at this company to any of my friends.

11 Apr 2018 – Vice President of Global Talent

First off – wow! Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I’ve already shared your feedback with Management and the entire Talent Team. You’ve captured our go-getter mentality and how it’s... More

"Coupa is the best culture I have worked in"

Current Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in London, England

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yes its all about performance and customer satisfaction - but then shouldnt every company be that way? Great culture, benefits and attitude to hard work, if you want to cruise, find somewhere else to work!

Cons

None that I have found, remote working can sometimes be tiresome, but so can a 9-5 grind in an office.

Advice to Management

Keep going, keep building, keep driving customer success, but apsue every now and then to admire the view

5 Apr 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for your review! Great to see this coming through from London, keep up the success over there!

3. "Architect"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time

Pros

Young company with great potential for growth

Cons

High growth equates to lack of career progression currently

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your employees because they have built this company

8 Nov 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for your review! I encourage you to have a discussion with your manager about your career path and setting goals. If you still feel this way after that conversation, please reach out to me... More

"Director Business Strategy"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

small agile organisation and industry leading platform

Cons

normal growing pains of any newly IPO'd company

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the culture

3 Apr 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for your feedback! Very positive to see you’ve been here more than a year and still recognize our focus on culture.

"Working for Coupa in EMEA"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

Pros

- Strong focus on teamwork
    - Coupa culture is at the top of everyone's agenda - feels like you are part of a close knit team
    - Everyone strives to keep ensure our customers are successful and can save $$$s
    - Exciting cloud platform that allows us to approach IT is new and ground breaking ways
    - People are respected and can thrive

Cons

- Can be hard work work to deadlines and pushing customers forward
    - US company that is growing into Europe has some pain, but the US is listening and turning things around
    - Remote working can be a challenge

Advice to Management

Culture isn't just "Coupa Culture" - US Management needs to understand local and country specific cultures need to be considered. US, French, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, British, German, etc - we are all different and approach issues differently and do not like to be told to do things the US way!

27 Jan 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, we really appreciate it! Our Coupa Culture is very unique. We have an open and collaborative environment to support everyone in working at their... More

"Moving Unsurpassed from Strength to Strength"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous work experience. Rapid growth and pure innovation exposues you to exciting and visible changes on a regular basis. While the work will often push you out of your comfort zone (which I regard as a positive), you really feel that you are leading in defining and extending the boundaries of a market. It feels purposeful.

Cons

You need to be able to work independently and you need to be a great communicator. This job is not for everyone, particularly those that want to hang back and 'coast' in a comfortable role without being stretched.

Advice to Management

Don't take your eye off the ball and get caught up in what the competition is doing - keep taking the high road and lead by example.

27 Jan 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for your feedback! You’re right that Coupa employees need to be great communicators. Communication is the key to our success!

"Great culture"

Current Employee - Vice President Professional Services in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Vice President Professional Services in Reading, England

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture
    Freedom to do a great job
    Focus on customer and value

Cons

No office in UK so work at home a lot of the time
    Company in growth mode so some challenges in processes

27 Jan 2017 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition and Enablement

Thanks for writing this review! “Freedom to do a great job” is a very strong and true statement!

"Coupa is THE savings-as-a-service company"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coupa is such an innovate and inspiring company to work for, a true leader in the field. With the back up from Gartner and Forrester and cash in the bank, it really makes it easier for companies to choose Coupa over any other competitor. At Coupa you feel part of the entire team, everyone works towards the same goals, which makes this company very unique in its own right. I love the culture! The team in EMEA specifically is a great team to work in!

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say... since everyone works really hard sometimes you find yourself in a position where you have to slow down and take some "me" time. Then the foot goes back onto that pedal!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people, reward them, help your employees to improve their careers.

"Smoke and Mirrors.."

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great basic and commission structure
    Forrester & Gartner backed as leader in the market
    Very simple concept to position in the early stages of communication with prospects
    Remote working, ideal for work/life balance
    CRM has plenty of data to work with

Cons

Personally, I found the team very antagonistic with far too much focus on internal politics and social relationships rather than productivity and success.

Advice to Management

Beware of ever-growing discrimination and losing focus on the core values of Coupa.

"Unbelievable product that is truly going to change the spend under management space!"

I have been working at Coupa Software Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supports innovation
    Everybody has a voice
    Great growth prospects
    CEO values his employees and listens
    Great sales culture
    Hugely talented and senior people who have come to change this space

Cons

Hard work and long hours but this is by choice and not demanded by management
    Not a company for people who want to be told what to do. You are encouraged to drive your own path and direction to support the fast growing innovation which can be tough for some people

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same