Credit Karma Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Credit Karma CEO Kenneth Lin
Kenneth Lin
Pros
Cons
  • "As with any startup, there are always growing pains(in 15 reviews)

• "Not a big deal, but the company is growing fast so space is an issue(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Software Engineers"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

- great perks - great culture - awesome technology - great work hours - management is receptive and focuses on growth

Cons

- sometimes communication between teams can be cumbersome due to rapid growth - some teams are spread thin and could use a larger head count

Advice to Management

I feel that equity grants could be more competitive with what's out there

Credit Karma2018-10-30

"More Wall Street than Silicon Valley"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Credit Karma full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Brilliant and nice people -Decent perks -Rising Star in the Fin-Tech sector

Cons

-Politics -Focus on short term profits and exit -Cutthroat nature

Advice to Management

I have mixed feelings about Credit Karma. Brought on during a time of rapid growth and transition, from what I could deduce, Credit Karma had all the positive hallmarks and epitomized all the great things about startup culture in the Valley. Namely: Camaraderie, Teamwork, No-Red Tape, A Fail Fast/Learn Fast culture. As success brought the ever expanding growth of the company, I believe Credit Karma tried... very hard to keep these traits alive and well. Unfortunately, all the trappings of success hit Credit Karma hard in my sincere opinion. People became more political, more cautious, less inclined to take risks, and I believe the company is ultimately suffering for it. Recent top management changes I believe doubled down on this rapid decent in culture. There was a paradigm change in that that personal performance (often politically or short termed focused) was given top priority. Many people that made coming in every day a delight and I enjoyed working with were let go for what appeared to me as spurious* reasons. I saw more scapegoating and a disturbing 'hard-core' approach to talent management. The startup ethos of passion over short term profits is no longer a proposition. In the end, the only thing that mattered was the short-term bottom line. As to why this change occurred, I believe that investors are looking more and more to an exit. Thus - anything and anybody in that path of that must is deemed: 'disposable.' I often ask myself if I can blame management at a 'personal' level for taking this position? When you are 'borrowing' millions from others, can one take any other position? Thus, for this truth - do not make any personal judgement calls. Furthermore, I don't believe that Credit Karma is all bad, I think for more junior roles, it offers a chance to build you a career at a successful tech-finance company. I think the overwhelming majority of people there are great and are still great. For mid-level and senior roles, I urge caution - Credit Karma is now as cutthroat as any Wall Street bank. I admit this new culture could play well with certain personalities. Some people may relish a more aggressive work environment and thrive. No doubt, much of my sentiments come from falling on the wrong side of this divide. For those seeking a place where inter-personal integrity, loyalty, and focus on employees and the company mission is the greater the focus vs. short-term profits; I recommend one look elsewhere. If you're seeking a place where you strap on to a rocket and are comfortable with taking on all the career risks, pitfalls, and instability associated with that - Credit Karma is the place for you. *Many employees were 'let go' from what I can conclude due to vesting of equity.

Credit Karma2015-08-07

Credit Karma Response

August 18, 2015VP of Talent Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful and candid feedback. Credit Karma's culture has naturally evolved throughout our growth. Our employees are working very hard at preserving the values that we have always embodied and that continue to define our success. They do it on their own accord because they sincerely care. That's compelling and deters the red tape and politics you mentioned above. We have very little turnover, especially in our early employees, which lends to a strong foundation. Nonetheless, we acknowledge and empathize that what you have described was your employee experience and perception of us. We regret that you did not have a positive journey. Wishing you all the best!

"Best place to work in FinTech space"

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, comp and perks

Cons

I cannot think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Credit Karma2019-09-21

"Interesting growth but Chaotic and inflexible"

I have been working at Credit Karma

Pros

Nice location in the city Amazing coffee bar Solid compensation Great leadership

Cons

Business is 1 dimensional Lots of value on face time and no wfh flexibility Chaotic

Advice to Management

It’s 2019. Face to face is great but employees want flexibility- with the move to Oakland if wfh is not made an option, people will leave in droves

Credit Karma2019-09-18

"A happy place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship)

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

People are really willing to help!

Cons

Sometimes the documentation is disorganized.

Credit Karma2019-08-20

"Fake nice"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office in San Francisco is nice. People are trying to do the right things, from a technical perspective. There are a lot of nice, well intentioned ideas at work here.

Cons

Career growth, HR is cruel, and the culture at the company is fake nice. This is not a meritocracy. I don't even know how to begin to explain, other than starting with the simple fact that people do not get promoted on the basis of doing good work. In fact, people don't really get promoted at all. What's really happening is managers playing politics with each other all day. If you want to get a promotion you have... to have the right manager, and chances are if *that*'s the kind of manager you have then you have to be extremely obedient, for lack of a better word. Also, most of the good engineers have started to leave. HR is straight up scary. It's rare that you'd ever have to deal with them, but if you do they can be so mean and insensitive. Basically, it's a kafkaesque, bureaucratic nightmare, with a little hint of a sadistic streak. I know that sound dramatic, but it's honestly how I feel. You know that feeling you get when someone enjoys having power over you and causing pain? That's how you feel when talking to HR, at Credit Karma. The last thing is that the company has really exploded in size and ambition lately, and it really feels a lot different. This used to actually be a nice place. Now it's fake nice. There's the managers playing politics, and you start to see the beginning of a lot of double speak. There are a lot of big projects, which has created a really cut throat, nasty attitude under the surface. This is not the kind of place where you can be yourself, unless that person is a robot and useful to their manager. Also, work speak is the absolute worse when it gets used as a tool to hide meanness.

Advice to Management

I know things are changing and it's hard. Here's what I want you to know and what I think could be done better about it. 1. Problem: there are some serious snakes in the garden. Open your eyes. There is some serious lying happening, and you should try to figure out who's behind it, because I can promise you it's contributing to a really nasty culture and poisoning the well. 1. Suggestion: find a way to form a... relationship with people who work in the trenches, I.e. not managers. So many of the engineers though are truly, just absurdly nice, well-meaning people. Find some way to get a read on what's happening, through them, because I promise you no one is listening. 2. Problem: good engineers are leaving because it's just not worth it, and the thing is they're leaving precisely in spite of staying for so long. Some people really stick around because they care, not that they're idiots and don't know their market value - they do, until they've just had enough. 2. Suggestion: when there's a huge re-org, which happens on basically a quarterly basis, the people who can recognize your work either leave or that recognition gets scattered. Then the new organization comes in and all of that recognition is gone. This should seriously change. You should try to preserve recognition before announcing a reorg, and after announcing explain a transition strategy. 3. Problem: it feels that HR can often be contemptuous or vindictive in their personal dealings, and they hide behind a lot of work speak, which only adds insult to injury. They can be cold and impersonal, but also, honestly, just plain mean, in a way I can't describe other than it feels like they enjoy it. The perfect example of the feeling I mean would be the nurse from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". 3. Suggestion: first, I'd recommend that someone from the c-level seek out feedback in this matter. Second, I would somehow try to incorporate empathy or some other human trait as part of their job. I'm not saying I know how to do that, maybe training? I feel like it really just comes down to the people or the HR org itself, honestly. Look, most of the stuff they have to do involves following protocol, which is fine and I understand it's part of the job. So introduce some humanity to it. By that I mean, try to employ common sense. To try to be sympathetic. Maybe make them feel empowered to exercise judgement rather than focusing on forms. Marry the two. One huge thing is try to explain to employees what the world looks like from your perspective, because honestly nobody knows or understands. It's unfamiliar and often terrifying.

Credit Karma2019-08-15

"Mission driven company with nice and competent colleagues"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very smart people in the data science team - Friendly and cooperative culture - At least to me, it felt like the executive staff actually cared about the mission of the company - Generally good compensation and perks

Cons

- Not a con for everybody but for me the range of products that the company offers is very narrow. It's a bit difficult to be interested in advertising credit cards.

Credit Karma2019-07-31

"Best tech company in the Bay"

Current Employee - Core Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for less than a year

Pros

- So much opportunity for growth. - Transparency is alive and well. - Everyone here is genuine and kind. That's a true rarity in tech!

Cons

Growing pains exist, but these are good challenges to overcome.

Advice to Management

Have remote/ WFH flexibility.

Credit Karma2019-07-22

"Nice company to work!"

Current Employee - Visual Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Credit Karma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice company, the CEO is amazing.

Cons

The management in marketing is not great. The filter to join the company is very easy, the don't have a high standard of Design

Credit Karma2019-07-22

"Great mission"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Credit Karma full-time

Pros

- Great mission - Opportunity to work on products that will help millions of people

Cons

- Standard hyper-growth pains - Company needs to focus more on speed

Advice to Management

- Make sure to think big and make big bets - Focus on speed

Credit Karma2019-06-19