Discover Reviews

3.7
Discover CEO Roger Hochschild
Roger Hochschild
Pros
Cons
  • "As with any call center, it can be stressful to avoid burnout from repetition(in 64 reviews)

• "no regard for work/life balance(in 50 reviews)

1. "Review"

I have been working at Discover full-time

Pros

Good Wage, Helpful people, Decent Benefits

Cons

Use many outdated softwares on their workstations

Discover2018-07-29
  2. "Good company"

Current Employee - SRE

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, professionals, work ethic, passion

Cons

Politics, nothing else to mention.

Discover2019-11-28

"Good Employer, very ambitious plans for the future. UK based team is very collaborative and a great team to work with."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Discover full-time

Pros

Global company but with the advantages of small company where most people know each other in the UK.

Cons

Senior leadership (based in Chicago) can be very US centric. Also, in a period of transformation so employees must be comfortable with such.

Continue reading
    Discover2019-03-02
  4. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for. Many opportunities for growth and earn incentives.

Cons

Isn't in my field of work as I have a degree in a different field.

Discover2020-06-02
  5. "Great"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discover full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loved it, it was super involved and a healthy place to grow

Cons

Communication was not as present as necessary for company that large.

Discover2020-05-26
  6. "Eh, the job was okay..."

Former Employee - Cardmember Assistance Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This review is for the credit card collections aspect of the company -- as I'm not sure how the other departments operate. I worked at Discover from 2014-2017 (3 years) as an account manager doing credit card collections at the Phoenix, Arizona location. I think working at this company looks great on a resume and I think working at this company is really good for college students and young adults that need experience. I would suggest applying here, staying for a couple of years to get your foot in the door, and then moving on to another company for better opportunities. Some pros: - The training you receive is pretty extensive. I had no experience at a call center when I joined the company, and I was able to catch on pretty quickly. - Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits are really great - Casual work dress code. You can essentially whatever you'd like - PTO is available right away after training and the beginning of the year -Attendance policy is lenient compared to other companies - Nice gym and a decent cafeteria

Cons

- The biggest reason as to why I left was due to the low pay. When I started in 2014, the starting pay was $12. When I left in 2017, my pay was $15. Now, in 2020, I believe the pay now for this same position is $16. -Everything you do is monitored down to the minute. (They track if you're a few minutes over your lunch break, how often you're getting up from your desk, etc.) - Schedules aren't really flexible. Whatever schedule you have when you get hired, is usually the schedule that you'll get stuck with. - Relatively easy to get promoted to different departments as a phone agent, but drastically harder to get promoted into management. Leadership shows a ton of favoritism, especially when it comes to being promoted to a Team Leader or a Coach. Leadership often promoted individuals that they liked, rather than who was qualified. It was a popularity contest. - If you're a phone agent, realize that the call volume is going to be insanely high. It was extremely stressful, especially dealing with rude and disrespectful customers - Nearly impossible to get a pay raise once you are hired. Even if you are promoted, it's often just a lateral move or the pay raise is usually about 10%, so people who have worked there for 10 plus years are often making less than people who are new hires - When I worked there between 2014-2017 there was a ton of gossiping between the cubicles and it was very highschool-ish and clique-y. I would suggest not feeding into the gossip, stay to yourself, stay out of people's business, don't get caught up in office romances, etc -- just go to work, do your job, and head home. I think the company itself is great, and I enjoy the culture, but my specific department wasn't the best.

Continue reading
    Discover2020-06-05
  7. "Top Chicago Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We treat you like you treat you.

Cons

Long commute from Chicago to suburbs.

Discover2020-05-20
  8. "Great place to get experience"

Former Employee - Attorney in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover full-time

Pros

Well-established and provides good connections and experience

Cons

Salary is below the Chicago market

Discover2020-05-20
  9. "Great for Certain People!"

Former Employee - Balance Transfer Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Discover part-time for less than a year

Pros

AMAZING supervisors! Fun coworkers. Overall a very social workplace. Regular opportunities for a raise on your paycheck. You as an employee are ACTUALLY cared about! Constant appreciation for the job you do. At work festivals are common. If you need time away from the job for a few minutes, your supervisors will work with you so you get the time you need!

Cons

It is a call center. If you can't or don't feel comfortable with phone calls like me, this job will be unnecessarily difficult.

Discover2020-05-19
  10. "Good"

Former Employee - Risk Management in Phoenix, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Discover full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very helpful and have great managers.

Cons

They need to be more transparent about job tasks when initially hired.

Discover2020-05-14