Pret A Manger - Horrible experience | Glassdoor.co.uk
Pros
Cons
  • "I'm often on shifts where team members are talking to each other in front of me in polish" (in 26 reviews)

• "Sometimes working extra long hours and extra days in the week" (in 23 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Floor Member in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Floor Member in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Pret A Manger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The place offers free food to their workers and the pay is decent. I love the location of the restaurant.

Cons

- Lack of communication b/t managers and staff.
- Immature workers
- Slave-like environment
- Biased behavior
- Too strict on simple task

Advice to Management

Work on communication and stop treating co-workers like robots.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Unfairness"

Current Employee - Kitchen Team Member in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Team Member in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pret A Manger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to move up in the company in less than a year hiring

Cons

Too much employees don't care

Advice to Management

Hire people that wants to be there and want to have a future in the company. Competitive pay should be implemented based on work ethic. Don't like the hard workers getting paid the same as the slackers

"Team Member"

Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Pret A Manger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After 90 days, you can move up, as does your pay, by a good two dollars from the few people who were generous enough to tell me that without me prying.

Cons

Rotating schedule, you need an app to check your schedule, my location had a rude manager who cleaned up her act after I tried relocating. There is no HR, just a recruitment team who will give you phone numbers to where you wanna go. Overworked for sure; management expects perfection for their weekly shopper. You'll be running from the basement to the first floor, between tons of customers, and up to the second floor. Workers wear timers for hand washing and for checking other dining areas. Also, I worked 8.5-9.5 hours a day my first week, and since I wasn't able to manually input my time, my manager put less hours during my first week's worth of pay, since she was too busy in her office during meetings and practically shooing away anyone who knocked on the door. I get that it's busy, but I wasn't welcome until I spoke up about relocating, and the people who spoke to me about relocating didn't get back to me after the first 2 calls. Not the best experience! Also, if you're in NY, expect to have an unlimited metro card, as workers and management will send you to another store to pick up boxes kitchen goods. Lastly, the uniform is ridiculous. The belt is almost unable to be removed if fastened too tight, there were limited team member long sleeved shirts where I worked, (I had to fit into women's shirts the first two days there), your clothes are on the floor in the dressing area, and you're not allowed to have your phone and wallet on you whatsoever. Did I mention that the recruitment team gave me an issue about my shoes, when I bought the non-slip shoe that was recommended? Very very mediocre business for high demands!! Get ready to sweat.

Advice to Management

Welcome your employees, request a bigger staff, be more upfront with punch-ins and schedules. Also, managers shouldn't be rude. If someone knocks on your door, answer politely and return the courtesy. Don't leave your new team member working extra hours since the schedule wasn't fully explained to them.

Discover more reviews about Pret A Manger.