Employee Review

Current Employee

The good and the bad

Mar 7, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have arrived in the UK to study last fall, and so far it's the best paid job I had (if you count the mystery sh bonus). Everything is extremelly clean, and the food is indeed as they say, fresh and healthy. The paid 30 mins break with free lunch is also a great nice perk. You also get 50% off on all Pret food, anywhere.

Cons

Pret seems perfect if you throw it a quick look. Great pay, great food, great team mates, everyone's so happy and friendly all the time... did you know that we have to? The "perfect Pret" standards state that the Pret employee is happy all the time, never drepressed. Not kidding, it's printed in our locker. Sometimes it can be challenging maintaining a natural smile on my face for 8 hours straight. Now, I should mention I'm only two months old in this job, so my views are limited. However, I have noticed some things that I can assure you they are true. Pret will do anything not to pay you. They will bend the law and the contract in any way they can, and there is nothing you can do about it (unless smile). 1. I recently had to call in sick, and it led to 2 days off work. When I logged in online on the website, it showed me someone put two different illnesses for those 2 days, and most oddly, both very wrong. I have already spoken to the managers about it, so how could they have gotten it wrong, as they wrote it down on the form in front of me? Intrigued, I looked into it a bit more (I have also realized, there is no one colleague of mine that bothered going into such depth researching). There is a very small subsection of a subsection on the website that states, in summary, you get paid, as a part-time worker, from the second day of illness, and as a full-time worker, from the third. I am part-time. I should have been paid for my second day. But what did Pret do? They put two different illnesses, so they don't have to pay me (it counts as the first day of illness, for both days). I have talked to some colleagues, they never got paid, no matter how long they have been working there for (the little subsection also states that if you're more than 12 months older in the company, you'll get wellness pay. For more information, please visit this website - followed by a broken link. That's a lot of weird coincidences, isn't it? 2. Holiday pay. I'm new, and as most things around here at Pret, holiday pay was never explained to me. At the beginning of March, a noted was posted in the locker, that you have to apply 6 weeks before the date for the holiday. After this, I quickly found out the holiday year ends on the 31st of March... in less than 4 weeks after the note appeared. How funny - this note now denied anyone in my huge team to get holiday for the remaining time, and if you don't use the days you get, they are erased on the 31st, and you never get paid for them. Funnily enough, I am extremely behind with uni work, and exams are fast approaching. Why am I behind, if my contract is only part-time? Mostly because for my entire employment, I hve worked many extra shifts, after my manager insisted - sometimes confirmed me for a shift during lecture time without even asking me before. Yesterday I got up at 4.30 to start my 6 am shift. After 8 hours, I was asked to stay 2 more, because the shop is, as always, not able to cope with the number of clients. After barely being able to get back home, I found my requested holiday was denied (there's also no alarm for that, if you want to check if it's still pending or denied, you have to constantly check). I want to be as loud as possible here - PRET DOESN'T CARE. If you show up 1 minute late ready to work, you lose the mystery sh bonus. The 50% discount on all food? Been here for 2 months and still haven't received my card for it, althought legally I am entitled to it from day 1. I was also told by the actually trainer that the managers hate it when you use the discount, so I should be careful using it (if I ever get it, that is). I once asked the manager if I can quickly go to the toilet, when the shop was quite empty - she stared in shock at me for a few long seconds before agreeing. Not everyone is like that though, there are some nice people, who don't deserve to be associated with what I wrote. I am not discontinuing my contract with them because of these things either (mostly because I just need to make rent). I just feel very strongly that the general public view of this company is very far off from the truth, and I believe in using my voice.

15 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place high standards

Dec 4, 2021 - General Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great growth opportunities! Great tools given to do the job.

Cons

Inconsistent with standard updates Information always changing Head office isn’t as good

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Started Good

Dec 5, 2021 - Graphic Design Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travel and good benefits. Free lunch!

Cons

Too many opinions that delayed anything in the creative process.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Pret A Manger.