Finlay James Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Finlay James Reviews

Updated 16 Nov 2019

4.6
Finlay James CEO John Gaughan (no image)
John Gaughan
Pros
  • "FJ provides a great foundation for ANY career in sales/recruitment(in 10 reviews)

• "Finlay James really does have that(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Nothing of any note - my impression is that if you hold up your end with plenty of effort that the support you will get at FJ is second to none(in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours (generally in recruitment) but employees encouraged to leave on time for a good life-work balance(in 4 reviews)

"Fun Company - More like a family than a workplace"

Current Employee - Executive Search Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun environment - Mixed level of ages from 18 -50 - Football on Wednesday lunchtimes - Progression - Forward thinking - Global offices

Cons

- I am sure I will not be the 1st person to write recruitment has long hours - Long sales cycles you will not be rolling in money after 2-3 weeks in the job, stick with it and the rewards do follow.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff and evolving, the industry we recruit in changes yearly and we need to as well.

Finlay James2019-10-08
  2. "Rocky times"

Former Employee - Executive Search Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time for more than a year

Pros

The current pros are somewhat flexible hours, good structures in place to manage development, some individuals in the business who very much care about your progression and the progression of the company.

Cons

Overall, the company has struggled with a massive loss in staff over the last 6 or so months due to a negative culture that has developed. A year ago, the company had a great culture, very unique to other recruitment agencies. This has quickly changed, as the company has become increasingly KPI driven, data driven and has adopted an old-school boiler room mentality. Because of this shift in the culture, many of the... top performers and key individuals left, causing a decrease in the revenue output of the company. Despite losing almost a third of our staff however, revenue targets were maintained and consultants were actually blamed for the decreased revenue numbers. The leadership's response to these testing times were to remove more pros such as incentives and fun activities in the workplace, further worsening the state of the culture at Finlay James. In response to this continued decline in atmosphere, more people have left the company, which has resulted in even worse performance numbers and in turn further restrictions being placed upon the consultants. Thus continues the cycle Finlay James are currently spinning out of control within, and really need to take a hold of if they have any desire of keeping the company going. One key issue needing attention in the company is their communication and trust building. A popular technique of 'trust' building used by the leadership is to share negative details, private details, about other colleagues in the office. Their rationale is that by sharing secrets with individuals, they create trust, whereas in reality everyone is very much on edge about what details they share with their colleagues as it is common knowledge that gossip runs rampant. But a more important issue in the culture today is the unfortunate air of bitterness. Stemming from the leadership again, it is very common to talk ill of competition even if it is internal, but mostly of people who have left Finlay James. There are many great individuals who have had a positive career at Finlay James and moved on to have continued success which Finlay James should be proud of. Instead, the CEO prefers to talk publicly, in a negative manner, of anyone who has left the business regardless of their tenure or impact on the company. This creates an awkward environment in which many people have complained of being almost ashamed of the juvenile behaviours they are exposed to. If you must behave this way, at least do so behind closed doors!

Advice to Management

Recognise why the company has started struggling, what the key reasons behind that are and take action. It has been highlighted by many individuals. There is one key individual in your executive team who certainly has the ability to make a real positive impact - utilise your talents.

Finlay James2019-11-16

"Bringing Visions to Life!"

Current Employee - CCO in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and collection of people on a mission. Having consulted with the business for a few months the opportunity to join permanently proved too tempting once I understood the values and the potential for further growth. The vision of the business is to be renowned for bring visions to life. This means we are placing the sales teams that help entrepreneurs thrive in the Tech Ecosystem - an exciting,... fast paced and meaningful space. The business is non hierarchical and is owned by people who are not just in it for the money but genuinely care about the staff and are very approachable and hands on. Entrepreneurial but also ethical. Potential big rewards to be had for all involved. Delivering solutions that benefit candidates, clients, staff and the business - A Quadruple Win!

Cons

Nothing of any note - my impression is that if you hold up your end with plenty of effort that the support you will get at FJ is second to none.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing and keep doing what you are doing as the future is bright.

Finlay James2019-08-08

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FJ has a great culture, good values and a top management team. The support is there for anyone and everyone is on the same page with looking to improve and better each other.

Cons

Long working hours, however you get what you put in so it is worth it!

Finlay James2019-04-25

"Approach with caution"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good incentives are available (Miami, Marbella, Race Days etc.) Friendly employees Gave me a good platform to kick off my recruitment career They have a global reach, which was good for variation and exposure to clients and candidates

Cons

Occasionally, it felt transactional and that a lot of people were there to make a quick buck out of clients and candidates, rather than focusing on their needs and requirements, as well as building valuable relationships for the long-term. From a culture perspective, it seemed quite backwards to me a lot of the time, as we were often pushed to do Glassdoor reviews a lot to get good ratings? This can be seen... based on when the reviews are posted, as there are a lot in a short time frame (e.g. there were 10/11 posted within 3 days in March 18). There is a high turnover rate for staff (which is expected), but this is down to hiring fresh grads who don't realise how difficult it is to succeed and have been sold that they will be able to make the commission from day 1 etc. This was made difficult by there was a lot of internal ringfencing to stop certain people working with clients, where they wanted to fill their role themselves and get more commission or close a deal with one of their mates, rather than a candidate who was actually right for the role. Senior leadership often spoke badly about people who had recently left the business, making it out that they were the 'bad eggs' for leaving, rather than reflecting on themselves and working out why so many people were leaving and what they could do to retain them. This made me anxious to hand in my notice because I knew that I would be watched like a hawk about my next move. When I started my new job I had over 10 FJ people look at my profile to see where I'd joined on my first day, and I knew they'd be discussing/judging it internally.

Advice to Management

Please ensure that you review the above. Belittling people who have left when they are not there to defend themselves is unprofessional. It also makes current employees feel uneasy, especially when you're friends with the person who has left. Be more transparent with people about your ideas/new policies. There was a huge hype about "project freedom", where consultants could work whatever hours they wanted as long... as they hit targets, but after the trial period ended, it was never discussed or offered again, and then everyone was chained back to their desk again without explanation. Even when Project Freedom had finished, it was still being promoted externally to get new people in and was being discussed all over social media/podcasts/events etc.. So, please stop this!

Finlay James2019-03-05

"Recruiters of the Future"

I worked at Finlay James full-time

Pros

An exciting and dynamic Technology Recruitment Specialist, striving to make their unique mark on the industry. Great career development support from the day I joined, ensuring you are suitably prepared for any situation.

Cons

Ultimately, you gain as much as you personally put in.

Finlay James2019-02-11
  7. "I still love it!"

Current Employee - Executive Search Consultant

I have been working at Finlay James full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at FJ for over 1 year now, and I still love my job as much as the day I started! Support - the Support and training provided at FJ is second to none, I don't think I've come across a company that provides a clear cut route to success as here. From Day 1 to day 501 (or more for most people!) you are always learning and improving. The managers get trained on how to be good managers, they invest in external... trainers to work with you on a 1:1 basis, and you can have as much or as little supervision as you want and need. I feel the support I receive from every side is the perfect amount, no micro-management and I'm left to my own devices unless I need the extra level of support. It's perfect. The job - amazing! I can't pretend this job is for everyone, lots of cold calling, hard sells, and long hours, but its 100% worth it! Commission is uncapped and once you understand the process, it's easy to get going. People are all on their own path here, and some people just don't get it, but that's fine and management never give up on people until they admit that this isn't for them. I love the buzz of building relationships in the sector, making a name for myself, and being a part of a growing industry. Culture - the BEST part about FJ is the people, and the culture that everyone creates - our values are Positive, Professional and Expert but that's only on the surface! It's about togetherness, and growing people up, being happy for other successes and supporting them through the tough times. Positivity seeps out of everyone and you can't help but love coming into the Office. HR - I have to mention this because we have an unrivalled support system from a HR function which I do believe is lacking in other companies I've been in. HR have introduced so many positive impacts to make life better and easier for everyone, from flexible working, to employee assistance programmes, to spearheading charity fundraising, it makes such a difference knowing that you have people there to help you if you are struggling with something that is non-work related. For anyone looking for an entry level role, or an experienced person who needs a change - please have a conversation with someone in our Talent team, you won't regret it.

Cons

I always think there is only 1 con which can be long hours - but you sure as hell get out of it whatever you put it! A big paycheck at the end of the month makes the hours worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep employing people from different backgrounds, keep believing in people and investing in the teams. 1 point - There feels like each office is very standalone and not part of the wider team, so perhaps encourage more cross-team working? (LDN, MCR and SF)

Finlay James2019-01-31
  8. "Review on my time at Finlay James"

Current Employee - Talent Consult in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture, fantastic group of people, supportive and motivating. CEO and CPO are engaging and always keen to hear what everyone thinks, how everyone is doing!

Cons

None! The company do a great job in keeping the incentives high and the buzz up. The recruitment industry can be difficult so this is impressive.

Finlay James2019-01-24
  9. "Great company culture & management!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Finlay James for a few years and I love it! The company culture is friendly and supportive, there’s great incentives in place like trips to Miami and Mexico, the commission structure is lucrative and the career development plan is well structured and fair. This job isn’t for everyone and unless you’re prepared to work hard and long hours and be able to deal with major ups and downs (you’ll have... more ups than downs but it’s important to not let the downs get to you) then this job is probably not for you. But if you’re driven, motivated and prepared to put the hard work in then you can move up the ranks pretty quickly at FJ. Great work ethic and results are rewarded and senior management is extremely supportive of all of FJ’s employees. Amazing place to work!

Cons

Can’t think of any cons!

Advice to Management

Be more selective with who you hire.

Finlay James2019-01-23
  10. "A great place to learn and develop!"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Search Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time for more than a year

Pros

I look upon my time at FJ fondly! I came from another recruitment agency where I didn’t feel as though my morals matched theirs. I loved that FJ position themselves as a more flexible (and female-friendly!) agency. I started at the bottom of their talent plan and worked my way up into a Senior position, which was both challenging and financially rewarding- which is what we all look for, right? :) FJ tought me never... to go into a meeting without a pad and pen, always to ask questions when invited and how important it is to ride the highs and persevere during the lows - all of these lessons have been invaluable to me! Whilst the culture will change as FJ grows (this is inevitable), it’s great to see them continue to invest in their people - HR team growing, improved training and development, great benefits (especially at Senior/Management level). V clear career progression plan AND commission/bonus structure, which is imperative (and has set a high bar for the rest of my career!) I now work for a software company and I have no doubt that FJ nurtured my skill set to allow me to achieve this - FJ provides a great foundation for ANY career in sales/recruitment.

Cons

Whilst it’s great that FJ employ people who have little experience (but the right attitude - important), I started to feel a bit old haha! I appreciate that it is hard to get a mix of skills, personality, experience etc so it’s not a con, just a note (and possibly my problem, not theirs!)

Advice to Management

I shared all of my thoughts (positive and constructive) as apart of my leaving process - no need to repeat here :)

Finlay James2019-01-21