Finlay James Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 February 2019

4.8
John Gaughan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Finlay James really does have that" (in 8 reviews)

• "A good work/life balance and flexible working hours when required" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, but I suppose that is to be expected in sales" (in 4 reviews)

• "Whilst it’s great that FJ employ people who have little experience (but the right attitude - important), I started to feel a bit old haha" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Recruiters of the Future"

I worked at Finlay James full-time

Pros

An exciting and dynamic Technology Recruitment Specialist, striving to make their unique mark on the industry. Great career development support from the day I joined, ensuring you are suitably prepared for any situation.

Cons

Ultimately, you gain as much as you personally put in.

2. "I still love it!"

Current Employee - Executive Search Consultant
    Current Employee - Executive Search Consultant

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at FJ for over 1 year now, and I still love my job as much as the day I started!
    Support - the Support and training provided at FJ is second to none, I don't think I've come across a company that provides a clear cut route to success as here. From Day 1 to day 501 (or more for most people!) you are always learning and improving. The managers get trained on how to be good managers, they invest in external trainers to work with you on a 1:1 basis, and you can have as much or as little supervision as you want and need. I feel the support I receive from every side is the perfect amount, no micro-management and I'm left to my own devices unless I need the extra level of support. It's perfect.
    The job - amazing! I can't pretend this job is for everyone, lots of cold calling, hard sells, and long hours, but its 100% worth it! Commission is uncapped and once you understand the process, it's easy to get going. People are all on their own path here, and some people just don't get it, but that's fine and management never give up on people until they admit that this isn't for them. I love the buzz of building relationships in the sector, making a name for myself, and being a part of a growing industry.
    Culture - the BEST part about FJ is the people, and the culture that everyone creates - our values are Positive, Professional and Expert but that's only on the surface! It's about togetherness, and growing people up, being happy for other successes and supporting them through the tough times. Positivity seeps out of everyone and you can't help but love coming into the Office.
    HR - I have to mention this because we have an unrivalled support system from a HR function which I do believe is lacking in other companies I've been in. HR have introduced so many positive impacts to make life better and easier for everyone, from flexible working, to employee assistance programmes, to spearheading charity fundraising, it makes such a difference knowing that you have people there to help you if you are struggling with something that is non-work related.
    For anyone looking for an entry level role, or an experienced person who needs a change - please have a conversation with someone in our Talent team, you won't regret it.

Cons

I always think there is only 1 con which can be long hours - but you sure as hell get out of it whatever you put it! A big paycheck at the end of the month makes the hours worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep employing people from different backgrounds, keep believing in people and investing in the teams.
    1 point - There feels like each office is very standalone and not part of the wider team, so perhaps encourage more cross-team working? (LDN, MCR and SF)

3. "Review on my time at Finlay James"

Current Employee - Talent Consult in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Talent Consult in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, fantastic group of people, supportive and motivating. CEO and CPO are engaging and always keen to hear what everyone thinks, how everyone is doing!

Cons

None! The company do a great job in keeping the incentives high and the buzz up. The recruitment industry can be difficult so this is impressive.

4. "Great company culture & management!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Finlay James for a few years and I love it!
    The company culture is friendly and supportive, there’s great incentives in place like trips to Miami and Mexico, the commission structure is lucrative and the career development plan is well structured and fair.
    This job isn’t for everyone and unless you’re prepared to work hard and long hours and be able to deal with major ups and downs (you’ll have more ups than downs but it’s important to not let the downs get to you) then this job is probably not for you.
    But if you’re driven, motivated and prepared to put the hard work in then you can move up the ranks pretty quickly at FJ. Great work ethic and results are rewarded and senior management is extremely supportive of all of FJ’s employees.
    Amazing place to work!

Cons

Can’t think of any cons!

Advice to Management

Be more selective with who you hire.

5. "A great place to learn and develop!"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Search Consultant in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Search Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I look upon my time at FJ fondly! I came from another recruitment agency where I didn’t feel as though my morals matched theirs. I loved that FJ position themselves as a more flexible (and female-friendly!) agency. I started at the bottom of their talent plan and worked my way up into a Senior position, which was both challenging and financially rewarding- which is what we all look for, right? :) FJ tought me never to go into a meeting without a pad and pen, always to ask questions when invited and how important it is to ride the highs and persevere during the lows - all of these lessons have been invaluable to me! Whilst the culture will change as FJ grows (this is inevitable), it’s great to see them continue to invest in their people - HR team growing, improved training and development, great benefits (especially at Senior/Management level). V clear career progression plan AND commission/bonus structure, which is imperative (and has set a high bar for the rest of my career!) I now work for a software company and I have no doubt that FJ nurtured my skill set to allow me to achieve this - FJ provides a great foundation for ANY career in sales/recruitment.

Cons

Whilst it’s great that FJ employ people who have little experience (but the right attitude - important), I started to feel a bit old haha! I appreciate that it is hard to get a mix of skills, personality, experience etc so it’s not a con, just a note (and possibly my problem, not theirs!)

Advice to Management

I shared all of my thoughts (positive and constructive) as apart of my leaving process - no need to repeat here :)

"High staff churn"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England

I worked at Finlay James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees
    Provide you with the resources you need to do the job
    Reputable name within sales recruitment

Cons

The company are too focussed on growth, opening new offices is great however only if you can keep the staff you already have. The company tend to hire fresh grads and this doesn't work, resulting in loyal employees feeling no longer part of the culture and feeling the effects of new employees leaving after a few months. For the cycle only to start again. The social media portrayal of Finlay James is extremely different to the reality!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring non committal graduates

10 Jan 2019 – HR Manager

Many thanks for leaving a review and firstly, apologies that things didn’t work out for you at Finlay James.

Some individuals who fit our company in its infancy sadly become a weaker fit over time... More

7. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Finlay James full-time

Pros

training & development, clear progression opportunities

Cons

none at this stage

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working at Finlay James and the training was second to none. It’s such a nice, friendly atmosphere and a really great place to work. Absolutely love it!

Cons

No cons of the company at all!

22 Oct 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for submitting this review. We are really pleased that you enjoy working here and that you feel the training was invaluable.

"A great place to work at!"

Current Employee - Talent Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Talent Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined FJ about 2 months ago and it couldn't go better! Great culture and atmosphere, the management team is here to support you at all times but gives you great autonomy as well. They are also very flexible and respect you personal life. Salary wise, your efforts are really rewarded!

Cons

To be honest, none so far!

22 Oct 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We try hard to strike the right balance between offering support and allowing for autonomy. We also value people's work-life... More

"The best in the business!"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Finlay James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having recently joined the Company I can honestly say I have never been made to feel more welcome into an organisation!
    Finlay James really does have that ‘family feel’ and business owners, John and Sara genuinely care about their teams and value their contribution to the business.
    There is an open and friendly culture and a real sense of pride and teamwork among the workforce.
    If you are looking to join a hugely successful organisation with a great Vision for the future, look no further than Finlay James, I guarantee you won’t regret it!

Cons

None that I have found so far! The teams are genuinely happy in their work and the Company find the best talent in the business.

Advice to Management

You have built up an award winning Business, which can only go from strength to strength. You recognise the value of people and create an environment where people love to work and clients and candidates want to join.
    You are constantly looking for ways to make the experience even better and have discovered the winning formula to be a hugely successful global organisation.
    Keep up the fantastic work!

22 Oct 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you so much for this detailed review. It is great to hear that as we grow we are creating the sort of environment where people are genuinely happy to come to work.