Gilbert + Tobin Reviews

Updated 18 Aug 2020

3.9
Gilbert + Tobin Managing Partner Danny Gilbert (no image)
Danny Gilbert

"Great firm, however, experience varies depending on the team"

Former Employee - Lawyer

I worked at Gilbert + Tobin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Access to top-tier, interesting work and clients. Work with very talented people who are interested and passionate about their area of expertise.

Cons

Like any other law firm, those who are promoted as partners are promoted because they are "rainmakers" and not necessarily because they're good managers. This means you've got some leaders with very high IQ but very low EQ.

2. "Believe 80% of what you've been told"

Former Employee - Lawyer

I worked at Gilbert + Tobin full-time

Pros

The best aspects of working at G+T were: - getting great hands-on experience at an early phase of your career; - top of market remuneration (although I understand this is changing); - camaraderie; - interesting work in some teams; - meritocratic, non-hierarchical structure (well, at least for a law firm); - genuine appreciation of and opportunities for meaningful pro bono work (this is part of the firm's DNA); - relaxed culture where most people will feel comfortable being themselves - you'll be welcomed as an individual but judged (sometimes harshly) on your output.

Cons

Personally, I (mostly) loved my time at G+T. I made great friends, met really interesting people, and worked on some very interesting deals. But plenty of people had the opposite experience. This is mostly a matter of personality fit. If you do your homework on the team you'll be working for, you can avoid mishap. The stories about working you too hard are true, but that will happen at any top firm and you need to expect that going in. Structurally, G+T is a federation. Individual partners collaborate and generally have good relationships, but ultimately run their own fiefdoms. If you land in a good one, you will be happy; if not, you won't. And that can be highly subjective - it will depend mostly on your personality fit with your boss. So definitely, when applying for a job at G+T, insist on meeting with the partner you'll be working for, ideally in a neutral location that allows you to properly scope out their personality and be honest about the deals they are working on. A consequence of that dynamic, which can be very tough for those who fall victim to it, is that if you don't find the right it with your partner or your team, you will feel isolated and unsupported. There is no safety net, and HR won't help you. The culture is also changing. Long ago it was like the wild west in terms of remuneration, rules, work style and culture. That has been changing gradually, and a few years ago a COO was appointed, who has sucked a lot of the life out of the place. This has probably been good for partners' draws, with directly correlated harm for the salaries and benefits for lawyers. The first thing to suffer was the Christmas parties, then biannual firmwide whinge emails about amex use and taxi policy, and then recently before I left, the introduction, in the name of transparency but apparently with the effect of bonus minimisation, of a bonus policy. The result is that increasingly the firm feels like any other law firm. Let's see where they draw the line, and lets see its impact on the type of talent they attract and retain, and their institutional ability to adapt to changes in the market.

3. "Great firm"

Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Gilbert + Tobin full-time

Pros

Depending on the team you work with, but usually great culture. No hierarchy and Partners are really approachable.

Cons

Long hours but that's the nature of working in a law firm anyway

4. "Top tier commercial law firm"

Current Employee - Lawyer in Melbourne

I have been working at Gilbert + Tobin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extremely high achieving culture. Good break from the stuffy, cons ever I’ve Lae form model.

Cons

Dog eat dog. Not quite as ‘prestigious’ as its competitors.

5. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Gilbert + Tobin full-time

Pros

Fantastic training and culture. HR are lovely and attentive. The partners are approachable. The office is stunning. Go for it! I really regret leaving.

Cons

None, absolutely none. Really good hours for casual staff too.

Continue reading
  6. "a"

Former Employee - Graduate Lawyer in Sydney

I worked at Gilbert + Tobin full-time

Pros

very nice and friendly people

Cons

long hours can be expected

7. "Forward thinking firm"

I have been working at Gilbert + Tobin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work options; Competitive salary

Cons

High billable targets; Almost exclusive focus on billables as the KPI

8. "solid people and management"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Sydney

I have been working at Gilbert + Tobin part-time for less than a year

Pros

good people and excellent work environment flexible

Cons

sometimes long hours but overall comfortable

9. "Great firm with top work"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Gilbert + Tobin full-time

Pros

Top work, innovative, entrepreneurial and exciting place to work

Cons

Can be very long hours.

"Go with eyes wide open"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I worked at Gilbert + Tobin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some very brilliant colleagues. Market leading transactions.

Cons

Pigeon-holed. Silo team environment (you will only ever do one type of work, for one partner). Very toxic culture. Many very disillusioned colleagues. Many archaic views around women in the workforce in particular. Personal leave not respected (whether it’s for holidays, as a carer or any other reason). Not enough resources. No emotional support. Clients come first at all costs.

Found 34 reviews