Gotoco Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2020

Found 96 of over 205 reviews

4.7
Gotoco Director Richard Lloyd (no image)
Richard Lloyd
Pros
  • "The trip to Yangshuo at the end of the programme was definitely one of the highlights of my time in China(in 28 reviews)

• "Participating in one of this year's Gotoco camps was an excellent way to experience Chinese culture whilst also gaining valuable experience in teaching(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The application process was a little difficult towards the end(in 19 reviews)

• "Found out about my trio to China a bit late(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great experience performing meaningful work

Oct 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Yangshuo beautiful location Kids really sweet

Cons

Application progress challenging towards the end

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Sep 30, 2019 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The experience and different activities was fun. Everyone was so helpful and supportive. Good and positive environment

Cons

Not very organised and bad room conditions. Food gave me food poisoning at rimes

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing experience, highly recommended!

Sep 27, 2019 - Teacher/Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I appreciated this meaningful experience rooted in cultural connections and global education, which has changed my outlook on the world. I encourage that you will begin your journey with Gotoco!

Cons

Application process was too long.

4. 5.0

Exciting and affordable summer

Sep 27, 2019 - Guilin Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a very supportive and friendly boss and I enjoyed working with Chinese teachers a similar age. I was well looked-after on all outings and I felt like they really cared that I were happy and enjoying the camp. There was no pressure to do anything a specific way or any intense training. I loved making friends with the Chinese students on my camp and learning about their life. I'm now more aware of Chinese culture and much more likely to go back to China and explore different cities. More confident working with children and travelling in foreign countries with a language barrier. Overall an affordable and fun way to spend summer gaining life skills and a TEFL qualification. Relatively easy application process and support through emails if there is any trouble with visa or camp.

Cons

Sort out the visa early to avoid problems.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent trip but issues with accommodation

Sep 29, 2019 - Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting trip at a low cost - I was able to explore a whole new city and culture and do new activites which I never thought I'd do. Free time in the evening and weekends means you are able to explore on your own or with other people on the programme Overall would recommend!

Cons

Misled about accomodation - stayed somewhere completely different than where I was told in my offer letter. Very poor hostel on the outskirts of the city - thankfully it was only for the first week. At no point during the trip did I stay in the accomodation stated in my offer letter which was disapointing, as it was a beautiful part of the city. Programme lacked organisation at times Food at the school was very repetitive and not very nice

6. 5.0

Unmatchable experience

Aug 30, 2019 - Volunteer Foreign Teacher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get put in interesting, non-mainstream parts of China Have people from home, for whenever you feel out of your depth

Cons

Accommodation is questionable No controls on working hours

7. 5.0

Best Summer yet thanks to Gotoco

Aug 24, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enabled me to have such a fun summer in Shanghai, allowing me to learn new skills as well as meeting such interesting people and trying such delicious food!

Cons

I was a bit unsure in the period between receiving acceptance and booking my flights

8. 4.0

Good experience

Aug 29, 2019 - Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free TEFL certification Lots of different programmes and locations Good holiday in Yangshuo after teaching

Cons

Communication should be better School was very disorganised

9. 5.0

A fantastic opportunity!

Aug 13, 2019 - Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gotoco gives you some amazing opportunities to teach English and to explore China! Working with children was so rewarding and helped me learn so much about myself and what I can do. It gave me confidence and helped me develop vital skills for the future. Being able to explore China was incredible, with breathtaking views and amazing people. It was truly a fantastic experience!

Cons

The application process was a little difficult towards the end.

10. 5.0

Unforgettable experience

Sep 8, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really felt immersed in the city of Guangzhou, where my programme was based, and I felt that the responsibility the TEFL required of me really helped me develop skills in areas that I didn't think about before. Good social aspect too even if there was only one other Gotoco participant - enjoyed making friends with the Chinese-language teaching assistants.

Cons

Didn't really know what I was in for but that didn't really end up being a con because I enjoyed it massively anyway.

1 person found this review helpful