Handy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 46 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company"

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - unlimited vacation as long as you’re getting your work done, catered lunch and dinner, decent health care, impressive maternity leave policy, cool co-workers.

Upper management that’s accessible - the founders sit with the rest of the company and are both super down to earth and friendly.

Acknowledgement for your hard work - the company is big on giving a round of applause where it’s due.

Pressure for managers to hold frequent 1:1’s / quarterly “reviews”

Fast paced and challenging - we work on projects quickly and get to work with new groups on from project to project. Never a dull moment.

Frequent team dinners / lunches

Bright future for Handy

Cons

Haven’t come across any big cons beyond feeling a little tired every now and then but that’s at every job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

"Not Great"

Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service in London, England

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Concept
    People working there were really cool

Cons

They have complete disregard for the cleaners and employees.
    Wouldn't describe as the most ethical company around

3. "Terrific team & company true to its values"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Positive culture focused on growth. Super smart, driven team - really talented people, great place to learn from others and easy to be inspired by their performance. Data driven decision-making gives transparency on company-wide priorities. Established startup stage allows for the best of both worlds - still a lot of room for growth, but core processes and infrastructure in place, enabling more effective execution. Strong benefits package and family leave - plus perks like lunch and group outings.

Cons

To be successful at Handy you must have an intellectually curious & analytical nature and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment.

"Development, Performance, & Sushi at Handy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Handy has the chance to make a real impact from day #1. The work culture values personal growth and development with team members being given big problems to solve early on. In an environment obsessed with data, Handy is fiercely a-political which means that the best idea wins and you are evaluated by your impact. It is a place filled with amazing people who take what they do very seriously, but not themselves. Also love sushi day.

Cons

There is not a single role that doesn’t require you to roll up your sleeves, and because you are assessed by your output you need to perform. Not everyone is up for such a performance driven culture, so could be a shift for anyone coming from a different environment. And it is unclear why Dos Toros hasn’t made a lunch appearance in a long, long while.

"You'll love it if you're a Harvard MBA"

I worked at Handy full-time

Pros

"Free" lunch and snacks (really just included in salary) are very convenient.

Some smart/fun people in the office.

Company has desire and means to grow really fast so new projects can spin up really quickly.

Cons

I personally was lied to to about my role to get me to accept, and I found out later that this is a regular, well-known practice at Handy--tell them anything to get them to say yes, then switch things up on day 1.

Unbelievable cliqueyness around and insistence to hire Harvard and other Ivy MBAs (despite the fact that both the founders dropped out of HBS). Clear internal hierarchy and preferential treatment for those folks.

CEO is completely unwilling to either cut or educate senior team members who don't know what they're doing, and HR is unwilling or unable to provide effective management training to those people.

Advice to Management

Give up this Harvard obsession. Be willing to either educate or fire those managers who make their team members miserable and unproductive, instead of just "failing up" and promoting/shuffling them to other roles.

Handy Response

14 Nov 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. While this review is not representative of our culture, the points you bring up are concerning and I will share your words with our management team. It... More

"Too many associate directors and above"

Pros

Free food
    You will learn a lot, but not always what you think

Cons

Management priorities squeezing the most they can out of both employees and customers.

Handy Response

15 Oct 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and providing us with feedback. We pride ourselves on our culture, our people, and the development opportunities we have for them. If you have... More

"Great place to work"

Pros

Very innovative company, relies on great technology

Cons

Common downsides of a startup

8. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Handy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well organized interior designed homes. Warm personalities of home-owners/apartment renters.

Cons

Depletion of equipment. (Reordered Online)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Hasn't lost its entrepreneurial edge"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Empowered to make decisions and drive action across the organization. Company focus on personal development and growth. Management and peers open to new ideas. Fast-paced, ever-changing, company has tons of growth potential

Cons

Very direct communication style. Can get talked over easily. Organization can feel siloed depending on the group. Everyone stretched thin

Advice to Management

Find times to give positive feedback to the company outside of all hands

"Not the worst boss I've had, but close."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, but as economics class taught us, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    Some of the engineers are great people, and at least one of the managers is honest, has a measure of humility, and is not a chode, but just the one that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, they weren't actually my manager.

Cons

The uppers very obviously pay to have positive reviews added on both the app store and the google play store. They also very obviously have had some of those managers (who are actively engaged in looking as good as possible to the CEO) add glowing reviews on here as well. No one below manager level would give a 5 star review.

Handy has been bleeding talent as people find more interesting and positive work where the stock options are more likely to matter.

The hours are just about always long/late, and if you actually take a normal 10 minute break, you're seen as uncommitted, addressed by your manager, and it's a black mark.

It doesn't matter how much you've actually contributed, just how good you looked doing 'something' and how much credit you've taken.

No matter how many times people bring up the fact that both providers and customers are getting screwed and are unhappy and we ought to think about how we could better serve them, the only conversation the uppers have is how to better control them, pay the providers less money, collect more fees, and squeeze more out of customers.