Heathrow Express Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Heathrow Express Managing Director Keith Greenfield
Keith Greenfield

"A company in decline with potential"

Current Employee - Customer Host
    Current Employee - Customer Host

I have been working at Heathrow Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, focus on customer service, everyone willing to help each other out, good customer base

Cons

Low pay, no investment from senior management as uncertainty around future of business. High turnover of new staff due to a combination of low pay and shortened training program.

Advice to Management

To retain staff bring wages to industry average and take training time back to what it used to be.

2. "Not an ounce of compassion and a group of managers who all seem to have different understandings of rules"

Former Employee - Customer Host in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Customer Host in Heathrow, England

I worked at Heathrow Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Having free travel between Reading and Paddington and the ATOC Discount card
    *Nice amount of working hours - Good work life balance

Cons

*The management,
    *Differences in pay,
    *Contacting HR - Not consistent with their communication unless it is something THEY want/need.
    *Certain members of staff being able to make inappropriate comments and management saying that "it's just their character",
    *Their probationary system and how each manager seems to have a different understanding of rules and procedures during it.

Bit of a farce with pay... Low wage for Hosts and little chance of a rise to meet cost of living. Yet they can afford to hire famous faces for ads and campaigns. There is enough money coming in, where on earth is it all going?!

Advice to Management

I left a job in which I was pretty content and was respected within Heathrow, to go and work for Heathrow Express....

I had used the service often and had an impression from the outside that it was a friendly environment and highly rewarding job. I thought it would be a nice step up and a new challenge. The front line staff are very friendly indeed and looked quite happy, however I found the happiness is just a front. My career at this company was cut short due to no fault of my own. I was made to feel however that it was and they dismissed me after an appeal which was frankly an ordeal in itself! They even appeared to dislike having to tell me that I had in fact got a clear record, good reputation amongst colleagues and station managers and had not had any bad feedback or marks on my record.

I was not given a thank you or anything for the exemplary service I had given, instead a simple message of contact your line manager to return your stuff. Not to mention I received my p45 in the post 4 or 5 days before receiving a letter which came in the form of an email giving me the outcome.

My advice to the company would be to educate your line managers on procedures such as probation. My manager put me in a process which was actually invalid as I found out during my appeal. No apology given. I would also advise your management to have a lot more understanding. My last bit of advice is this... When a member of staff has left/been dismissed, send out a feedback form. I have many many things I would like to voice and get disclosure on, but because you don't provide a feedback form, I am unable to progress to some degree.

I would absolutely not recommend anyone to join Heathrow Express. It is not even worth the travel discount. Do not apply for a role here believing that they have care and compassion for their staff. The dismissal has ruined my current career prospects and my self confidence. I now feel incredibly sorry for my ex-colleagues who are experiencing the uncertainty of their future in the company. Many have told me I am lucky I am no longer there and despite my struggle at the moment, I actually agree. Lucky escape!

3. "MD without talent, workforce have an inherently poisonous attitude towards anything they don't like."

I worked at Heathrow Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a lot better. Previous MD (still listed as CEO on this site) was decent and honourable. Things deteriorated rapidly with his departure.

Cons

Filled with a lot of very nice people but when they gang up about things or people (and they often do) they are very very nasty.
    The most senior level has no people management ability, under his leadership a majority of the management team chose to leave.

Advice to Management

Employ a talented people focused MD

"How the mighty have fallen"

Former Employee - Commercial Team in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Commercial Team in Heathrow, England

I worked at Heathrow Express (More than a year)

Pros

- perceived as a premium brand
    - dedicated customer facing teams
    - well managed operational department
    - Heathrow Compass Centre offices are modern
    - free travel on Heathrow Express, discount rail pass for other TOCs
    - free parking at offices
    - opportunities to work at Heathrow Airport
    - (if applicable) culture of idleness means you can do no work and it is likely no one will notice, much less care

Cons

- culture of idleness prevents work being achieved by those who want to work hard
    - micro-management by Business Lead
    - frustration for anyone who is ambitious, as roles are to implement Business Lead's ideas and not to question
    - erosion of premium brand
    - no international focus
    - no strategy, reactive business
    - no clear reporting or KPIs
    - siloed structure with no coherent overview of how actions are driving business
    - multiple multi-million pound projects over budget and time with limited scope for launch
    - financial mismanagement and indiscriminate slashing of budgets whilst simultaneously spending on vanity projects
    - sterile working environment at Heathrow Compass Centre - all items removed from desk daily
    - terrible IT infrastructure, weeks for the simplest queries to be resolved
    - hostile atmosphere with inappropriate behaviour
    - HR provide administrative based activities only
    - no training
    - no social activities
    - below average pay and benefits
    - no career progression
    - poorly implemented performance management process
    - unlikely to survive launch of Crossrail

Advice to Management

Since the removal of MD, Keith Greenfield in December of 2014 the business has been operated by Fraser Brown, Business Lead, but MD in all but name. In my opinion this individual shows no regard for anyone or anything but his personal gain so any advice to "management", and I do use the term loosely, would be entirely lost. Sadly, I fear the damage to Heathrow Express in the last 12 months is terminal.

6. "Customer services"

Pros

Some great people - good opportunities - fantastic premium super brand - high standards and well dressed staff.

Cons

Rubbish management - school ground - immature business - no black staff within head office

Advice to Management

Buck up your ideas - become role models - inspire staff - lead by example - motivate train and coach your staff - diversify your head office

"If it was in my home town it would be my dream job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England

I worked at Heathrow Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hi level of customer service, High level of training, strong union. highest paid customer service job in airport, front line staff know job better than most line managers.

Cons

Very early and late shifts, team managers not good at managing most are yes men/women.

Advice to Management

if it wasn't broke why did you try to fix it. interviews for promotion middle management positions lacking in choosing the right people with decent people skills or experience. in the industry

8. "Consultant"

Pros

The amount of freedom given to move along the project

Cons

Slow process of getting anything reviewed and approved

Advice to Management

Employees need to be more aware of whats going on within the organization. High turnover.

9. "Hex work style"

Pros

work is 6 days on, 4 days off sometimes 5 days off

Cons

rotational shift work. Early shifts begin at 4.40 and finish at 13.30 while mids start at 12.30 and finish at 21.30 then lates start at 1500 and finish at 00.20

Advice to Management

Keep up the goodwork