Hobsons Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Hobsons CEO Kate Cassino
Kate Cassino
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper Management focuses solely on revenue growth to the detriment of potential and existing customers(in 16 reviews)

• "Last year, sales lost half the entire team with most quitting and few getting let go(in 10 reviews)

1. "Fantastic team - loved working there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Great, young workforce. Social life is fantastic.

Cons

Work is a bit repetitive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a fantastic job!

Hobsons2017-05-18
  2. "good company"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

The people are well looked after

Cons

Leadership could do with a bit of direction

Hobsons2019-07-09

"Worst but best experience"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

- it paid when i needed a job

Cons

- the amount of pay - the work culture - career progression - pretty much almost everything, was the worst place I ever worked.

Hobsons2019-04-25

"Quite possibly the worst job I have ever had"

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Not many beyond the salary

Cons

Micromanaging, bullying people, non-inclusive culture

Advice to Management

Listen to your clients and employees

Hobsons2017-08-30

"Terrible experience"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Hobsons full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm not really sure there are any to be honest. Nice office space? Everything looks shiny and nice on the surface...

Cons

Everything about the place. Majority of staff are aggressive, rude and foster a horrible working environment. People all out for themselves, with no real teamwork

Advice to Management

Change everything you're doing

Hobsons2017-08-12

"Account Manager- SSO"

Former Employee - Account Manager SSO in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Hobsons full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexibility- they allowed me to go part time so that I could undertake a full-time masters

Cons

Wooden, SOP- driven role. Any suggestions re doing things differently were discounted.

Hobsons2016-11-17

"Unsustainable turnover of employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Peer group and other employees are supportive and fun. Environment is fairly flexible for some people

Cons

Where to start... Senior Leaders (internationally) are self serving and completely disconnected from the EMEA business but continue to make (terrible) decisions on behalf of that office. Good employees with extensive knowledge of the market are leaving by the handful. The attitude tends to be 'it was time for them to move on anyway' rather than any level of introspection as to why everyone is leaving. There is no... ownership or accountability in the EMEA business as everything is owned globally, therefore there are now plenty of leaders with nothing or no-one to lead. The global matrix structure means that decision making is incredibly slow and frankly ridiculous! Everyone is very secretive, leading to a culture of distrust and a very unpleasant working environment. Senior management need to step in very quickly and turn things around before the EMEA business goes under.

Advice to Management

Take your heads out of the sand, either get fully involved with EMEA and get your hands dirty or leave the leadership to lead and shape the business. And please stop preaching that the business is all about the people and invested in their employees when you clearly are not. For a small company you still manage to make your employees feel like just a replaceable number

Hobsons2015-08-26

"Losing good staff and clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

The work/life balance is good. Casual clothing.

Cons

I work in the London office and Hobsons are currently bleeding so many good staff that there is a new policy that people leaving are not to be announced by e-mail nor given any kind of leaving speech. Employees that have worked here for 5 or 8 years are leaving without so much as a thank you from management. When clients leave it's quietly swept under the rug whereas any gain is loudly talked about in several... e-mail chains where senior management loudly congratulate themselves to the office wide e-mail distribution list. Instead of looking to retain employees, deal with the reasons they're leaving or introspectively look at why clients are not renewing contracts the policy from above is radio silence. It's patronising and also telling of the company at the moment. It's just keeping up appearances at the moment. Promotions are often given without interview to those the hiring party is friends with. A company in decline.

Advice to Management

Many employees go on to work with direct competitors or potential clients. Work to retain them or at least treat them with respect. Take exit interviews with clients and staff in a structured manner and act on the negative as well as the positive take-aways.

Hobsons2015-08-07

"Glad to be gone"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I have been working at Hobsons full-time

Pros

Met some great people, and can honestly say they do tend to recruit really likeable people who are fun to work with. There are some good benefits such as a yearly bonus, travel loan, yearly awards and the opportunity for international travel.

Cons

Generally had poor management towards the last few years of my tenure, which is important to me. Team led abysmally, non-existent development plans, patronising, bullish and unapproachable. A manager who is constantly saying how busy they are wears thin quickly and doesn't lead by example. One of my main reasons for leaving. Senior management seem to spend most of their time reorganising the company like it's a... boardgame or something. I understand they are going through another one as I type this. I rated the work/balance poor simply because I had a manager that would look down on you for leaving at 5pm despite working hard throughout the day. When I once mentioned that I had a lot of work to do and was struggling, I was told that 'it's not a 37hr week job, you know that'. Erm, actually, my contract did say 37hrs a week and working late should not be mandatory or encouraged. There's more to life than work. It belies the strength of the resource available meaning the team was constantly stretched and stressed. In my time there was some odd hiring moves. I once had to be interviewed 3 times for an internal position, yet a colleague for the same position was not interviewed at all. People getting the prefix 'senior' added to their job title out of the blue, what was that about?

Advice to Management

Stop elevating people to a point of incompetence.

Hobsons2015-05-26
  10. "Excellent"

Warehouse

I have been working at Hobsons for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are all great

Cons

No bonus, pay rise could be better

Hobsons2014-06-26