Independent Capital Management Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Independent Capital Management President and CEO Drew Marloe
Drew Marloe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • ICM has a great training program (in 6 reviews)

• I love to help people reach their goals (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, but it is recommended for success (in 5 reviews)

• If you pass then you start calling up all your friends and family and hitting them up for (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work - Awesome co-workers"

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have flexible working hours as long as you hit your targets

I feel comfortable approaching Senior Leadership when I need advice

The managers are always available, engaged, & take employee suggestions seriously

Clear path for career advancement

Constant, ongoing in-office training

Smart & fun colleagues who want to see everyone succeed

No product limitations

Cons

This job is not for everyone... self-starters only.

Obtaining industry licenses & building your BOB requires self-discipline.

2. "Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in South Pasadena, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in South Pasadena, CA (US)

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mentorship. The managers always have your best interest in mind, and want to see you succeed.

Cons

Occasionally people are resistant to talk with you about their financial plan.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and encourage!

3. "Great opportunity"

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love helping people. Great to be with an independent company that is always looking out for the best interests of our clients.

Cons

Not everyone listens to what we recommend. Regulators are limiting what clients we can help now. I want to be able to help everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting all of us the way you do

"financial advisor"

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time

Pros

ability to help people free from proprietary products

Cons

I cannot think of any downsides since it is an entrepreneurial position and it is really up to me and not the company for my success

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA (US)

Pros

ICM will give you the training and tools you need in order to succeed in this industry. I feel valued and appreciated as an employee. I enjoy the independence that comes with working at ICM. I run my own business and don't feel like I have a boss looking over my shoulder all the time. However, when I do need help or have questions, everyone is willing to help.

Cons

It does take hard work and sometimes long hours if you want to do well, especially starting out. If you aren't willing to work hard or make phone calls, this job is probably not the best fit for you. For those who are willing, your hard work will pay off.

Advice to Management

The time you invest in training new reps that are coming in does pay off. I felt valued and wanted to work hard because of how much time the managers freed up their schedule to help me.

7. "Good potential for highly motivated individual, but lack of transparency"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Independent Capital Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get the job as they constantly hire new reps. Great opportunity for career advancement into management positions for successful employees. Can create your own work schedule. Can get lots of support from experienced managers. Can earn a lot of money in the long run. Great job for a highly motivated individual with a real passion for the industry.

Cons

Lack of transparency during hiring process. The job is extremely difficult during the early stages and it is difficult to earn much money. This would not be a problem for some people who have support while they get established, but management should make it clear that this is the case rather than exaggerating earning potential and level of difficulty. No pay whilst training which takes much longer than they originally make out. To be successful you must be willing to work excessively long hours (evenings and weekends).

Advice to Management

Management should stop exaggerating the benefits of the job when hiring new reps. The company is well run and there is great potential for the right individuals to excel in this work environment. But you are wasting your own and your new reps time and resources by not being completely open from the start. Let people know how hard it is and you will only have to train the people who are fully committed and are going to be successful at your company, which will reduce the ridiculously high turnover rate.

"Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great firm to work at. You receive full benefits once you meet the minimum requirements and very easy to get signed up through their HR department. The Beverly Hills office has a great staff, attentive managers and encouraging coworkers. The location of this office is great (you can run into a celebrity once in a while in the elevators!) and a very professional environment to have client appointments. The training is very hands on and if it takes you a while to understand a concept, the managers help you every step of the way and help you on your appointments. The entire office is always organized and welcoming. Growth within the office comes to those who are willing to put in the work and have a strong entrepreneurial spirit. Nothing but great things to say.

Cons

Nothing negative to say at all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

14 Mar 2017 – President

Thank you for your thoughtful review!

9. "Work"

Pros

Easy work not hard to understand easy computer screens and documents easy to read. Great training and amazing teams !

Cons

Gets very boring after a while because your doing the same thing over and over again. You can fall asleep after and will want to get up multiple times

"Look elsewhere - Zero stars if possible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA (US)

I worked at Independent Capital Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can earn your Series 6, 63 and Life Insurance licenses with fairly good training. BUT...

Cons

100% Commission only income.
    "Managerial support" is hogwash
    Leads and referrals are what you bring yourself. When I was there, we tore pages out of the phone book and called every person listed, after we ran out of family and friends.

Advice to Management

Be up front about the income potential. Of course, if you did that, no one would fall for the wine and roses speech.

11 Jun 2017 – President

We have several proprietary marketing programs to build a new advisors clientele. We do not make cold calls. We also have several compensation choices for new employees to choose from.

"Long time ago employ ~ naive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Nothing ~ I quit in six weeks.

Cons

I was gullible joining this company. They said "clients will come easy". Had no idea it involved going through every friend and family neighbor. In hindsight, naive at the time. I recall the mock training exercises whether you were high risk or low risk they wanted you to sell high load Sun America mutual funds. I quit, it wasn't for me.

11 Jun 2017 – President

We adhere to fiduciary standards and are totally independent from any particular mutual fund or insurance company. We use the only the top companies in the industry and work on a referral basis... More