Intercom Reviews

Found 198 of over 207 reviews

4.3
Intercom CEO Karen Peacock
Karen Peacock
Pros
  • "Intercom has an excellent culture with strong values we live by(in 42 reviews)

• "As a result, there are a lot of great people working here(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Intercom is great at underpaying overqualified workers(in 16 reviews)

• "Growing pains you see in a usual startup(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Intercom

Join the conversation on

Tech

234K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Intercom~1035935
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

General review

Feb 15, 2022 - Product Engineer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to work here

Cons

nothing comes to my mind

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall good but some pockets are burnout central

Dec 11, 2020 - R&D in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Full of switched-on, motivated, supportive people. Broadly speaking, Intercom has a surprisingly healthy culture compared to the way it can be sometimes in tech. - Solid salary and benefits, and management is genuinely encouraging of people making the most of them (including time off). - Lots of potential for the product/company on the whole to be successful.

Cons

I have experienced more burnout this year than I have probably ever experienced in my career. While many parts of the company are probably great places to work, the part of the org I am in isn't a good place to be at all right now (even discounting other factors due to Covid-19 etc). Despite crystal clear signals in terms of low engagement for this pocket of the company on recent engagement surveys, as well as direct written feedback representing the wider team being bubbled up to leaders/managers outlining the core problems (constant high pressure to deliver and keep others unblocked regardless of capacity or quality/process concerns, very unclear how to progress on the career ladder in practical terms, etc), combined with exit interview feedback from recent departures—leadership seem to be very slow to act in ways that represent genuine understanding/desire to change, or that actually stand a chance of making it better for the people who are being messed around while remaining under pressure. Seems like there is low trust from leaders/managers that people below them are capable, so in this part of the company at least, there is tons of scrutiny over work that frankly leaders shouldn't need to have input into/approval over. This in turn ends up killing almost all sense that there's any space or room for people to grow, progress, move up the career ladder and take on increased responsibilities. Instead, leaders dangle high profile projects as opportunities for people to prove themselves, but then load teams and people up with additional pressure and responsibilities. When people (unsurprisingly) struggle to deliver on the balance across multiple asks, it's framed as poor performance rather than poor management. Lip service is paid to making improvements, and there is some evidence that movement is starting in positive directions (full credit to the people driving that, but it isn't coming from the leaders!), however it all feels like too little too late after a range of crappy decisions/management choices from leaders in 2020.

13 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Autonomy, impact and hard work without sacrificing live

Mar 16, 2019 - Product Engineer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As IC you have great control and impact over product. Things get done, managers support, practices and guidelines in place to help, not to stay in way. Ideas and challenging welcomed. No blame, super professional environment that everyone actually lives by. Failure is embraced. Huge opportunity to learn. Even big and stressful project managed very well with no overtime or hard feeling, if time is running out scope is decreased or deadline postponed, but never asked for overtime.

Cons

Very competitive, still relatively small, may not always be able to create opportunities to grow. Unless you are into politics and socail hacking. Fixing stuff is not appreciate before customer reports it. Eg. Fix I've done on an edge case bug been blocked because of FUD, 6months later big customer complains and other senior engineer takes my fix and ships it without problem.

7 people found this review helpful

Vice President, People

Thanks for this feedback. We believe that Intercom is a place where many different types of people can be successful. I am sorry that this was your experience.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work and grow. Fast paced and exciting

Jun 22, 2022 - Senior IT Specialist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. all meals - Work life balance (when I allow it). I get a lot of appreciation for the work I do. I get to focus on what I'm good at but am pushed to grow and stretch my skills and knowledge daily. Accountable managers that want you to grow and have your back. No matter who you are, you will learn a ton working at Intercom.

Cons

It takes awhile to understand the organization and how to make things happen. It's pretty flat but since we are in 5 countries it can be hard to understand who does what and what their titles really mean. People that are shy may struggle a bit at first. It takes awhile to get used to people being real. Things move very fast there's a lot of change. It took me a long time to adjust to that. Some people my struggle to make their own way without a ton of guidance.

5. 5.0

Best place I’ve ever worked

Jun 2, 2022 - Senior Group Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people and culture. It really is one of the best product companies out there.

Cons

Decision making can be hard to navigate at times with some orgs being top down and others consensus driven. However, this has been true nearly everywhere I’ve worked.

Intercom Response

Thank you for this feedback. We’re growing fast and with that comes some inevitable changes. We are continually evaluating our decision-making and communications processes to improve them. If you have specific thoughts you’d like to share, please feel free to reach out. Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture and great people!

May 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company with clear values and principles, with strong collaboration across all teams and an amazing culture.

Cons

Nothing to mention at this stage

Intercom Response

Thank you - great to hear that you’re enjoying yourself. Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

great place to work

May 19, 2022 - Executive Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership, clear vision, transparency

Cons

there was Significant leadership turnover

Intercom Response

Thank you for sharing your experience about your time here - we really appreciate it! Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Embracing hybrid work in the right way

May 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no shortage of companies trying to crack the hybrid work conundrum, and it's safe to say no company has all the answers. But Intercom is approaching this in a refreshingly humble and honest way – while we have a recommended number of days in the office every week, we're being treated like adults, and the opportunity to work together in the office is being framed as a desirable perk rather than an obligation. The result is that people are flocking back to the office, out of choice rather than coercion. It's been amazing to see that the strong interpersonal culture has withstood two years of WFH, and how so many new colleagues are revelling in being able to work together in person.

Cons

Certain orgs have a lot of new employees and leadership and are in the process of reinventing themselves. Inevitably, these growth spurts can be a bit a bit bumpy, but the Intercom fundamentals are still sound.

Intercom Response

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this, thank you. As you said, it's been amazing to see not only the strength of our culture and our personal relationships holding up through a couple of years of remote work, but also how much fun it's been being back in the offices together. Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

9. 5.0

Review

May 20, 2022 - Marketing Executive in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment, hybrid model, bonuses, growth

Cons

I did not have any downsides working here

Intercom Response

Thank you for writing this for us, we’re so happy that you’re enjoying yourself. Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work and grow

May 20, 2022 - Marketing in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are #1 at Intercom - there's no hierarchy, everyone just working hard doing their thing - They are really trying hard to make the hybrid work life work and are doing a great job at it! - There's lots of focus on you and how you like your role and what you'd like to try

Cons

- Not necessarily a con, but it's a fast-paced environment that might not suit everyone but if you like that kind of environment - it's the right place for you!!

Intercom Response

Thank you for this - we love that you’re loving it here! Liz Sweet, Senior Director, Talent Development

Viewing 1 - 10 of 198 Reviews

Intercom Reviews FAQs

Intercom has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 207 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Intercom to a friend and 83% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Intercom employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Intercom. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

87% of Intercom employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Intercom 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Intercom Job Seekers