LEGOLAND Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Nick Varney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great atmosphere free tickets to park" (in 33 reviews)

• "I worked here for the summer last year and it gave you a lot of hours" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours at times but that is to be expected in this industry" (in 22 reviews)

• "Extremely low pay; essentially minimum wage" (in 16 reviews)

1. "good"

Pros

It's very rewarding and interesting

Cons

It has bad pay and is boring

2. "Hectic!"

I have been working at LEGOLAND full-time

Pros

Good opportunities for progression, really great team and if you like fast-paced work it's amazing.

Cons

As the guests are paying so much they always expect a lot more from what we actually provide, and it can get very very busy very quickly. You need to always have a clear head, otherwise people crack under the pressure (which happens about 3-4 times a month!).

Advice to Management

Some of the restaurants are a complete shambles sometimes. Think about who is in each team and make sure everyone is comfortable with where they are and what they are doing, or make sure there are teams with a mixture of both experienced and inexperienced to act as support when managers/ team leaders are not there.

3. "What you'd expect from this sort of job"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Windsor, South West England, England

I worked at LEGOLAND full-time

Pros

Good salary (7.50) compared to what other shift work can be.
    At peak times you won't be short of work, so is a good way to make some cash over the summer.
    Can make some good friends if you pick the right people (and not some of the incredibly grumpy entitled 16 year-olds who think they're too good for that sort of work)
    Merlin pass

Cons

CHECK YOUR TIMESHEET - notorious for calculating hours worked incorrectly (rumours where that sometimes this was deliberate due to the budget...) so make sure you check.

If you are above aged 19/20, you will feel old and feel like you're being treated like a child by the more senior staff. You will get picked on for silly things because you're 'below them' (eg the team leaders all wear earrings etc yet the assistants get penalised for this...apparently health and safety doesnt apply to them!).

They also deducted £100 from my paycheque for my merlin pass that I 'never returned' but I never took it out in the first place! I have yet to get this money back. Watch out for things like this.

Advice to Management

Pay all of your staff correctly!!!

4. "F&B Team Member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, South East England, England

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Easy level of work
    - Sociable
    - Good standard of health and safety training and introduction
    - Good benefits if you work there for a while

Cons

- Can be sent home in quieter periods if you aren't needed, even if you have only worked for an hour
    - Poor training of the actual role if you start in a busy period (summer)
    - Must arrive significantly before your shift starts in order to prepare and walk to your assigned area

5. "Good experience for your CV"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

Colleagues are generally friendly. A very good opportunity to enrich your CV.

Cons

Some weird company policies (e.g. you can't bring more than £20 cash every day once you enter the entrance) and some security member is hideous. The cafeteria provides food that is below average and is a bit overpriced.

6. "Legoland"

I have been working at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, enjoyable, good progression.

Cons

Can be stressful at time

7. "Capitalist exploitation at its worst"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were only 2 benefits of working at Legoland:
    - putting a smile on lots of children's faces
    - The Merlin Magic Pass; after 6 weeks, and a bit longer harassing my manager to perform a review of my performance, I was given 20 free tickets to any Merlin attraction (legoland, chessington, thorpe park, london eye, etc.)

Cons

-Extremely low pay; essentially minimum wage
    -Inadequate break time; I was working at a cafe quite far from the staff room, and was expected to take 30 minutes for lunch - this meant that if I hadn't packed my own lunch, I'd have about 5 minutes to eat before having to start walking back in order to return to work on time.
    -Very poor management; I was working for people who seemed to make up for their lack of common sense with an abundance of arrogance
    -Pay discrepancy; a supervisor who I worked with was leaving, and on her last day she was very upset as she had seen one of the managers taking 15 minutes off of every member of staff in her department's payslips in order to make staff budgets.
    -Poor communication - we were often heavily understocked and faced the frustration of many customers as a result
    -Poor hygiene: handwashing was uncommon. I also dropped a sizable amount of doughnut batter on the floor once, and was told by my supervisor to scoop it up because "the customers won't notice". When I refused, I was threatened with potential disciplinary action - but this didn't end up happening.
    -Complete lack of regard for staff welfare; I felt like another cog in a great capitalist machine - not somebody who was respected or felt valued or like I was playing an important role in the smooth operation of the park.

Advice to Management

Consider how you like to be treated as a member of staff. Then extend this policy to your staff. Treat them fairly, pay them appropriately for their work done (so, more than minimum wage).

Recognise achievement; some of the people I worked with did significantly less work than myself, and since we were paid the same, I was not motivated to improve or to put more effort into providing excellent service when I could get away with being simply mediocre.

Give your staff their food hygiene certificates: you wasted our time for an entire day so that we could get the qualification, then never provided us with any evidence that we had them.

Consider heavily discounting staff food within the park so that staff can obtain adequate nutrition - there is significant evidence to indicate that productivity increases when staff are well-hydrated and not hungry (although this is also common sense).

Don't pressurise your staff to work more hours than they want to; many of your staff members are still in full-time education and need to prioritise their education. Don't take that away from them by putting people who are still maturing emotionally into an uncomfortable position where they feel like they can't say no. Poor staffing/uncovered shifts is YOUR problem, not theirs.

8. "Pretty awesome"

Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England

I have been working at LEGOLAND part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work
    friendly environment
    flexible hours

Cons

Pay is a little low at £6.50

9. "Water Park Assistant"

Former Employee - Waterpark Assistant in Windsor, South West England, England
    Former Employee - Waterpark Assistant in Windsor, South West England, England

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, good team ethic and never dull

Cons

Very wet and very short breaks (45 minutes including walking across the park and getting changed in and out of waterproofs, then getting your lunch, eating it, and walking back)

10. "Ride host"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

Lots of offers given out.

Cons

Per hour wages was low.