LEGOLAND Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 January 2019

3.3
Nick Varney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great atmosphere free tickets to park" (in 35 reviews)

• "Discounted Merlin passes for Friends and Family" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very long hours during high season (summer months)" (in 25 reviews)

• "Extremely low pay; essentially minimum wage" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Good"

Pros

Good experience, good teamm good outings

Cons

Busy, poor managers, could do with better conditions

2. "Ride Operator,"

I worked at LEGOLAND full-time

Pros

A unique job, can be fun at times, good one-off social events.

Cons

The managers can be rude, no staff support, little pay for the hours, can get boring if you are stuck on the same ride all day, very little development, a lot of favourtism (if you are not liked by the other staff you will get the bad jobs). Overall a bad environment to work in. A lot of petty dramas between the staff.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff more please.

3. "Ok legoland experience"

Former Employee - Ride Attendant in Windsor, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Ride Attendant in Windsor, South East England, England

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good positive working environment. Ok

Cons

For me the travel was too far

4. "Rides and Attractions part time review"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

Like-minded and enthusiastic colleagues and good company events

Cons

Bad management of ride allocation meaning some new employees ae working by themselves all day

Advice to Management

Ensure all new employees are trained to assist on 1 large ride first to ensure they aren't always working by themselves and do not feel alienated from the rest of their team.

5. "Good place to work as a teenager"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

Great staff benefits, working in a theme park, job can be fun

Cons

the pay was quite low when I was there but that was a while ago

6. "The overall atmosphere is decent"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

The pay is good. No issues

Cons

Understaffed so it was a hectic environment

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Windsor, South East England, England

I have been working at LEGOLAND part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, Exciting, Every day is different, Good pay, Good hours if needed, Friendly, Great first job.

Cons

Long hours sometimes if over 18.

8. "Carts and Beverages"

Former Employee - Carts and Beverage Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England

I worked at LEGOLAND full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros to working at Legoland unfortunately; the main being being able to work on my own for the day.

Cons

There are too many cons to list. Treated like a slave, 0 hour contracts, limited breaks throughout the day, lack of trust.

Advice to Management

Stop looking to take advantage of low skilled labour and focus on creating an environment that is pleasant to work in.

9. "Rides and Attractions Assistant"

Current Employee - Rides & Attractions Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England

I have been working at LEGOLAND part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Atmosphere is extremely friendly from the word go. You're working in a fun place and they make no secret of that, you're encourage to enjoy working with each other.

- If you put in the effort, you will make some great friends. After my first season, I have a very nice little group which make the work much more pleasant.

- Chance to enjoy an informal relationship with the customer, enjoy a joke and help them to enjoy their day.

- The work is repetitive but keeps you mentally stimulated, though this does depend on the rides you work on and your position within them.

- Management are very accommodating. Informing them in advance helps but they will always do their best to give a day off or an early finish if one is requested.

- Social events (if you're a student) are a great break from the work and make you feel more part of a team. It's extremely unifying, though it's definitely biased towards the student life, e.g getting drunk, making a bit of a fool of yourself. There are also cons against socials listed below.

- You get some great benefits. Twenty free tickets to any Merlin attraction, 40% off Lego and a discount on Fiat cars to name a few.

Cons

- Social events can make work awkward as well as unifying. I drove to my first social so was completely sober. My view of many of the people I work with, on what I regarded as a professional level, was drastically altered. I found I respected management a little less and saw them as less capable. There is also a strange double standard employed, where management will encourage you to go to socials and have a good time, then fire you if you have a drop of alcohol in your system the next morning. Their argument is to drink responsibly, mine would be not to drink at all.

- You will, at some point, have abuse hurled at you by a guest. You're on the front lines, you're an easy target. It can make you feel terrible for the rest of the day and you will receive little support from management - if they are called they will usually undermine you to keep the guest happy.

- Pay. It's so often mentioned but not unnecessarily. This is a highly physical job, you are on your feet all day. Before you even get to that stage you have to study, take tests and pass practical assessments. You deal with complaints, clean queue lines, empty bins, cater to the consumeristic guests at every turn and you are rewarded with pay little over minimum wage. It stings even more when you find out that the people flipping burgers and taking photos are taking home more than you. It's an old remark, but it does need mentioning.

- Lack of variety. As briefly mentioned above, you have to pass tests before allowed on the rides. This obviously takes up time, so usually you'll get two rides if seasonal, a couple more if you're permanent. From being there for one season, it is so plain to see that management's view is "We have these people, we can man every ride. Why bother changing it up? " Because 8 hours on the same ride, saying and doing the same things every 30 seconds, believe it or not becomes a little tedious. In fairness, some managers do spice up the day (these are honestly the best days ever), but too many take a lazy approach and it leads to low morale and disappointed guests.

Advice to Management

- As a general point, care for your workers more. Make them feel appreciated and give them more variety. It takes 15 minutes of effort and allows them 8 hours of enjoyment.

- Fight our corner when dealing with guest complaints. Protocol is there for a reason, so follow it yourself, or change it for everyone.

- Organise socials for days when the park is closed the next day. It should be obvious that this is a sensible idea.

- Make your workers feel more appreciated. Either by raising concerns about pay with senior staff, or by offering support on the rides by congratulating actions and staff "going the extra mile".

- Get your rotas and staff shifts right, nothing hurts more than a 16:00 lunch break.

10. "don't bother applying"

I worked at LEGOLAND part-time

Pros

none - you do get discounts but only AFTER 6 weeks

Cons

Rude Employees and dirty place to work.