Legatum Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Unique Company working with great people"

Pros

Legatum is a unique company which sets it apart from any other I have worked for in Dubai. It is refreshing also that it follows high standards in line with those you experience and expect from a Western organisation.

Legatum focuses on its mission which brings the team together along with strong values that are carried throughout every aspect of the business.

The culture of Legatum makes it a great place to work, the team is full of genuine, down to earth people and the autonomous attitude means as an individual you have the opportunity to learn and grow both as a person but also in your skills.

Employees are given the chance to get involved in the Philanthropic side of the business which brings a new dimension to your work and personal life.

It is a hard working environment with high expectations but the company reward you and look after you providing beautiful offices, stunning café along with free lunch, afternoon teas and snacks.

Cons

Whilst you can grow and extend the responsibilities within your role, due to being a small office depending on your role there can be a limit to how far you can progress beyond that role.

"Mixed bag. Interesting to start with but very confusing organisation."

Pros

Nice building, good coffee, lots of potential, generally a good bunch of people until you hit senior management team. Prosperity Index is the shining light but beyond that it's all a bit hollow.

Cons

Strategy not clear. Research leads run vanity programmes to improve own standing as well as wining and dining friends but no real value added to the organisation. Exceptionally poor staff management with very inexperienced leaders. Large staff turnover and people can just disappear over night.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Get some proper managers who can manage!

3. "Great company, Great mission!"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legatum is a company that has a very meaningful mission, which as an employee, I felt very connected to. The company culture is very friendly and my role exposed me to a variety of areas within my field which has been very satisfying and a great learning experience. My department was pretty much all women and therefore as someone new to the region, I found it really easy to make close friends within the office. It is a very welcoming place where you are well looked after, not forgetting the best coffee in Dubai is served at Legatum. If it was not for personal reasons I definitely would not be leaving Legatum.

Cons

Dubai can be a energetic working place, so it can be go, go, go at times. The DIFC is a popular location which can lead to traffic congestion in the evenings.

4. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexibility for maternity leave which is unusual in Dubai
    - Exposure to different parts of the business upon return from my maternity leave leading to further growth and knowledge in an area I was previously unfamiliar with
    - Stunning working environment, fantastic colleagues, full time barista who makes the best coffees in Dubai!

Cons

- The paperwork and bureaucracy in Dubai in relation to financial processes can lead to extended time taken to do simple tasks.
    - When corresponding with suppliers you may have to spell 'Legatum' phonetically to ensure they capture the name correctly.

"A rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Legatum full-time

Pros

The company has a mission to help others and I genuinely feel that I am helping others indirectly by working here.

Some of the negative reviews have questioned the management team. I don't agree with this. I really like the CEO and management team and I feel they are doing everything they can to develop a business that is helping the world. I do agree with some of the positive comments about the Chairman. He is a very warm and welcoming man and I am proud to be part of the company he founded.

The offices are very luxurious and calm, and the in-house café offers a variety of drinks and snacks.

There are chances to see first-hand the philanthropic work the Legatum Group is doing and many staff members have come back having had life changing experiences from these trips. I hope to go on one this year.

Great team of people coming from all over the world, which brings a unique mix of cultures and ideas.

From my experience, Legatum do care about their employees, putting emphasis on personal development rather than unreachable corporate targets.

Cons

As mentioned in another review, I totally agree with the traffic when leaving in the evenings. It can be a nightmare sometimes.
    If you are thinking of working for Legatum, I would recommend finding a home either on the Metro line (Metro station just outside the building) or something in walking distance (although this may be an issue during summertime).

Although not directly related to Legatum, dealing with some service providers in Dubai can be frustrating. Service is just not what you are used to in your home country. Also, with VAT now in Dubai, products and services are now more expensive. For anyone moving to Dubai, I would recommend doing thorough research on the cost of living before coming here. It can be an expensive city to live in.

"A rare and distinctive company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Legatum full-time in 2013, and left just after 12 months. Had I not needed to return to my home country for family reasons, I imagine that I would still be at Legatum today, as it was the best role I’ve had to date.

The company is so unique, from their values, professionalism, work ethic and philanthropy, it was like nothing that I have experienced before or since. Each and every employee whilst I worked there was dedicated, genuine, friendly, and stretched themselves to deliver. The offices at DIFC are amazing, advanced technology everywhere, generous staff meals and luxurious surroundings. I found everyone approachable, available and we were all a part of a well oiled machine. The Managers that I reported to were supportive, open to suggestions and improvements and encouraging. They themselves were role models to many of their colleagues. The contact that I had with the Chairman was always courteous, light hearted and welcoming. I feel that he had the employees best interests at heart. Despite his position in the company he always demonstrated a high level of humility that made everyone feel comfortable.

Cons

In my previous roles in Dubai, I never had 9-5 timings. This role was no different, in that it was my choice to complete tasks ahead of deadlines.

7. "A truly amazing place to work"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Legatum for almost four years and I feel extremely fortunate to be working with such talented, passionate and driven individuals who are supportive, caring and fun at the same time! We work in a professional environment with true core values, where standards are high and everyone is striving to do and be their best, but we also work as a team and there is no hierarchy. And, as it's a relatively small team, it means we’re able to get involved in different areas of the business – not only is this interesting but it means we’re constantly learning and growing, and this in turn creates endless opportunities. The leadership team is particularly inspiring and senior management interact and connect with colleagues at all levels. There is a culture of mutual trust and respect. It truly is an amazing place to work and it’s incredibly fulfilling to be working for a mission-led company that genuinely cares about helping others.

Cons

Some people may find the fast paced nature challenging if they’re not used to working in a high intensity environment. On occasion you may have to work a bit late or on a weekend but this tends to only happen when there’s an urgent deadline or a real business need, and it’s certainly not the norm. What’s great is that everyone at Legatum is helpful and the team works together to get things done. The company is also flexible with leave and encourages everyone to take restful holidays and to spend quality time with their families.

"Great company, great people"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contrary to some of the negative reviews, my experience with Legatum has been very inspiring and rewarding. I love working here as Legatum is quite different from the regular ‘corporate’ environment. Strong emphasis is given to achieving excellence. Living as expats in Dubai away from family and friends, the teams are very close and I have certainly made life-long friends here. Professionally, my role has evolved quite a bit over the years, including taking on additional responsibilities which has helped in gaining tremendous experience. Employees are encouraged to get a ‘first-hand’ experience of the philanthropic work Legatum supports. This has also motivated several employees to start their own fund raisers for causes they support which is again supported by Legatum as well.

Cons

The traffic around the DIFC can be difficult in the evenings, which means you might not get a swift exit at the end of the day. And there are quite few times when longer hours than usual need to be put in, but that isn’t really a ‘Con’ as the primary focus is on delivering timely and efficient results. You are encouraged to take full ownership of every task/project from start to finish.

9. "More than just a job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had worked at Legatum for just short of two and a half years and having been back in my home country for over a year now. I feel I am suitably positioned to reflect on my time and perhaps offer some insight for anyone who is looking at joining Legatum.

During my time at the company, I learned some very important ideals that stick with me today. They are: a good attitude is far more productive than a bad one, always strive for excellence, hard-work is good-work, and that your "work-family" is important. The key one for me was "work-family", as the people I worked with became an extension of my own family. I know some people below have questioned this, but it was a very important element for me. This is due to a combination of living away from home and having people in the office that you can count on. I am yet to experience this feeling since moving on. I am still in contact with my friends from Legatum via Whatsapp.

Legatum focusses on hiring people based on fit opposed to being the most academically qualified candidate, so it really comes down to having the "right" attitude a lot of the time, which from my own experience is the ingredient to any successful team or organisation.

One of the inspiring things about the job is that we were all able to get so much done. Being supported by a small team of extremely high-calibre individuals, I was provided with the autonomy to carve out my own career path. So, if you are willing to put in the hours and effort you will be supported to become your best self. I was fortunate enough to discover some untapped potential in myself, leading me to a role with much more responsibility when I returned home.

Lastly, my favourite thing about my time at Legatum was the opportunity to freely talk openly to the Founder, CEO and Leadership team members. I faced a few challenges at times, and I was able to talk these through with members of the leadership team who were happy to discuss issues and provide recommendations to improve. This was certainly refreshing.

Cons

The interview process can be rather lengthy as you will meet your immediate peers, as well as various members of the Leadership team. This can be time-consuming, but gives both you and them a real opportunity to build a relationship. It was evident to me from the very start that Legatum is investing in candidates and, should you be successful in the interview, this investment continues. My advice to anyone going through the recruitment process: yes, it might take time, but embrace it, enjoy it. You are talking to some really great individuals.

Legatum is an open door. The Leadership team will support you to excel to your maximum potential and your peers often want to help you succeed. With that said, you can only reach your full potential if you are committed to investing in yourself by putting in the hard work, persevering constantly, remaining positive and keeping focused on the goals at hand. It usually does mean longer hours than your average 9-5, however it is an investment in yourself. For those who just want a job, this may be too much.

"Happy at Legatum. Inspiring place to work!"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an existing employee, I feel compelled to post a review in opposition to some of the negative reviews on this page.

I have been at the firm for over 3 years and have found this company to be a unique and inspiring place to work. It has an emphasis on family and values which makes you feel part of something bigger than yourself. We are all encouraged to become our best selves and reach our full potential, which means that you are continuously encouraged to expand upon your learning, your outlook and your skill set. Each Legatum employee is hired on their character rather than skill, which creates a pretty special bunch of people. While skills are important, they care more about who you are as a person.

Our management team helps push you forward and lets the light shine on you rather than the other way around. There is no hierarchy or arrogance here, which is refreshing in this line of work. It is a great place to work particularly, if you are family orientated - Legatum is flexible and always puts family first.

One of favourite things about working at Legatum is that staff get to go on a Legatum Foundation field trip once a year to see some of the inspiring projects run by their strategic funds. Many staff members also personally fundraise for these causes by taking part in fun runs, marathons, mountain treks or other personal challenges. What I’ve found is that everyone comes together during these times and generously donates to their cause. There is always such a supportive and serving environment which is a pleasure to be a part of.

Personally, I feel like already in a short space of time, Legatum’s leadership have put meaning and purpose into my life.

Cons

In life and at work, to become your best and reach your full potential you need to work hard and continuously persevere. That can sometimes mean long hours are need, which isn’t perhaps for everyone.

At Legatum, everyone is extremely determined to get the job done to the highest standard so there is no rushed piece of work. This may mean you need to make some time sacrifices, however we have a flexible annual vacation policy, so you can ‘work hard and play hard’ as they say.

If you just want a job, then this is perhaps not for you, but if you want to be part of something that is helping the world then I would highly recommend it.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do in serving your team - inspire us, motivate us and help us become our best selves!