Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

Jesper Hojer

1,611 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay and also flexible time for your own" (in 123 reviews)

• "Gute Bezahlung (Ab AT ist das Festgehalt allerdings All In, Sonderzahlungen gibt es nicht bei Lidl)" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunities to progress with a growing company"

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great chance to prove yourself and progress
    Good team culture, lots of fun at work activities
    Pay and benefits are brilliant
    Work life balance is good - you are not expected to do overtime, if you do you accrue it to take back.

Cons

A lot of set processes and procedures from head office, it can be quite rigid

23 Feb 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

We're so glad to hear you're enjoying the working environment at Lidl. Thank you for your review and continued support.

"Fast Paced with Autonomy and Lots of Responsibility Quick"

Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic team of people who are high performers and highly motivated. You are held accountable at every level which creates a strong performance driven culture.

Excellent work life balance for retail. I work far, far better hours than I did at a high end supermarket and have a supportive team of colleagues and line managers. You can largely dictate your own day and working hours. You are 100% judged on results, as opposed to working long hours to prove you're the best.

Lots of opportunity to take on additional responsibilities to your role and to contribute to the wider business (although this is one of the advantages of being an AM in London near HO).

Really rewarding job. If you like responsibility and want to set your own culture you 100% have the freedom to do this. Very operations driven, and a really good simple focus on the basics approach most of the time.

Cons

In London we are all experienced hires—so those hoping to come in on the graduate scheme would come in at store manager level likely for several years. I get lots of people asking about this when enquiring for vacancies. If you are a grad, specify outside of London!

If you don't have much retail experience the amount of responsibility could be daunting, also the pace that you would need to get up to speed is very fast.

Really outdated HR management system makes it hard to keep track of 200+ employees and manage them appropriately.

Very, very, challenging targets which ultimately jeopardise other areas of the business; the strategy from Germany really doesn't consider the operational conditions and culture of the UK which can create other issues for customers and staff.

Advice to Management

Update HR and IT systems to remove antiquated HR practices. They are time consuming and do not provide senior managers with resources to tackle problems appropriately and efficiently.

More attention to the UK retail market, in particular expectations of customers here (more demanding than Europe) and the particular conditions of a place like London. Try to examine how operational changes would impact in more detail.

Inexperienced CEO - change in leadership has meant that priorities from the top have become a little muddled, out of touch and not well thought out. CEO has only ever worked for Lidl, which means we as a wider company seldom focus on the good things other retailers in a very competitive market are doing. This means that we then end up chasing our tails with initiatives that are not right for us. Should of picked a more rounded leader with wider industry experience, and UK experience directly as the retail market here is very different from the rest of Europe.

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thanks for leaving a review, and all of your hard work! Your insight really helps us to ensure that we're on the right track as an employer. If you'd like to discuss in more detail, please feel free... More

3. "Not bad at all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Lidl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good - especially for me as I work nights.

Great people.

Cons

Hours can sometimes be too much, or too less depending on how well the store does. More sales = more hours.

4. "Sale assistant"

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Good pay, hours, holiday, discount

Cons

Sterotype, dealing with some rude custumers

"Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Area Manager in London, England

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Salary + company car
    - Autonomy
    - Skills learned
    - Oportunitty to lead large teams and stores with yearly sales of millions

Cons

- Working atmosphere - I´ve seen too many people crying
    - Not a meritocracy when it comes to internal promotion
    - Way behind business innovations - residual use of technology
    - If you don't speak german, promotion opportunities drop by 90% in any country

Advice to Management

Embrace globalization and 21st century

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thank you for your feedback. Every review helps us to shape the future of Lidl for our employees. If you would like to discuss your experience further, you can contact us at careers.sm@lidl.co.uk... More

"Heavy Lifting and no time to 'Manage' anything!"

Current Employee - Deputy Store Manager
    Current Employee - Deputy Store Manager

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hierarchy are friendly. It's a genuinely nice company who are striving to be more people focused.

Cons

As an Assistant Store Manager I basically work stock. All day every day. I'm given extra tasks to do but I have no time to do them as Labour targets are so tight. It's VERY labour intensive.
    You're not so much managing the store as managing on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

My RDC isn't great. Deliveries turn up all throughout the day and I struggle to plan my store around this. Just when you think you've worked it all, another lorry turns up.... just as all the staff have gone home.
    You're doing ok. But prod targets are scandalous and mean most of us have bad backs. Health and Safety is not your priority!

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Your feedback really helps us to develop as an employer, so thank you for sharing your experience. Your well-being is important to us and we understand how challenging a busy store can be, so thank... More

7. "Customer assistant"

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Good job for student
    Never bored
    Great colleagues
    Generally get overtime if requested

Cons

Hard work
    Small staff so it can be difficult to get certain days off if you're not quick about it

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, it's great to hear that you're happy at Lidl. Keep up the good work!

8. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bodmin, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bodmin, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Good Salary & Benefits

Cons

Very long hours, not treated like a person, a very negative company to work for

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, and for all of your hard work. If there's anything you've raised in your review that you'd like to discuss further, you can contact us at... More

"Not bad, but too interested in profit to really appreciate their people"

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Wednesbury, England
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Wednesbury, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good challenge, assuming you like spending 80+ hour weeks in work while contracted to a 37.5 hour contract!!! Decent pay, until you realise that for the hours you do you will be on less than the cleaners you manage per hour.

Cons

People are not of any worth to Lidl. They select in keen people they know will give their all to not feel like they have failed, where the real failing is not actually investing in enough quality people to get the job done in a reasonable timeframe. Very poor head office, not a support function, always requiring extra work from regions with zero benefit to the region.

Advice to Management

Stop visiting regions and expecting a show home without an impact on production. Actually, if you are going to visit, actually talk to the guys on the shop floor and seem interested in their issues rather than just pointing out what you can see that is wrong.

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you leaving a review on your experience so far. We want you to feel supported in your role and take all feedback seriously, so if you wish to discuss... More

10. "Some poor management, unrealistic expectations, very long hours, very long commutes."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Maidstone, England
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Maidstone, England

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is fantastic, company car is fantastic. Some decent people working for the company.

Cons

Advice to store management is to be more selfish ( A ridiculous comment to make when they advocate 'Team Lidl' ). Pressure of audits, not enough hours in stores.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about opportunities in stores, and set more realistic targets.

14 Jun 2018 – Employer Brand Officer

Thank you for leaving a review on your experience with us. We take all reviews very seriously, so do feel free to contact us at careers.sm@lidl.co.uk if you wish to discuss anything in more detail... More

Showing 1,611 of 1,720 reviews