MUFG Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Nobuyuki Hirano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"The skies the limit"

Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at MUFG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Limitless opportunities to drive transformation
    Collaborative team culture
    Great compensation and benefits + work life balance

Cons

Risk management and compliance teams are very slow
    Top heavy - needs more millennial talent to drive change

MUFG Response

17 Dec 2018 – MUFG

We are proud to foster a culture and mindset conducive to change and the key to our transformation. Thanks for your enthusiastic review and for your contributions to our technology team over the past... More

2. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Executive Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive Director in London, England

I worked at MUFG (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong values, Good opportunities, Strong collaboration

Cons

Things can move a little slowly so you need to be patient

3. "Stable long term"

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I have been working at MUFG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the largest banks in the world

Cons

Currently going through challenges that may lead to shrinkage

Advice to Management

The culture change is too fast for the bank's DNA

4. "Review"

Former Employee - Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at MUFG part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gaining great experience on the Japanese way of doing things which is centrally meticulous with great attention to detail.

Cons

The disadvantages are centered around the aforementioned corporate culture which is strict to the point of hindering employee development and internal movement.

Advice to Management

The management should consider allowing room to foreign professionals to demonstrate their experience and knowledge before being showed how to do things the Japanese way.

"Compliance and Audit present good opportunities"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England

I have been working at MUFG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m an AVP in audit in MUFG and joined 8 months ago. A friend sent me a link to a review of Compliance and Audit on this site and I was surprised to see how negative it was. I felt I should offer another opinion as I have had nothing but positive experiences since I joined. There are definitely things which could improve but the team are all really nice to work with and the audits we do are really varied. I’ve only worked in two other companies so maybe I don’t have a lot to compare to but management here are open and seem very committed to the department. I also have got to know lots of people in compliance and it seems very similar to audit. There’s been lots of change and new joiners, but that’s leading to opportunities and people are very open about why there’s been turnover. I like MUFG and I do recognise it’s not perfect but I would have no problem saying it’s a good place to work. It’s defintely better than another global bank I worked at, where nobody cared about anything except delivery. Here people do care!

Cons

There is some uncertainty about Brexit and some talk of moving jobs to Europe if it goes ahead. Also, the integration of the bank and securities hasn’t yet got to one culture so that definitely needs to hurry up. In audit the structure seems a bit top heavy and needs to be looked at to make sure people can be promoted. At my level I don’t have too much to do with Japan and I’d like to hear more about what’s happening at a group level.

Advice to Management

Work on creating one culture for the whole organisation in the UK. Cascade information about the group more.

6. "VP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at MUFG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work - life balance, great people

Cons

Long decision time, lack of ownership of processes

7. "Associate"

I worked at MUFG full-time

Pros

There is a good work life balance

Cons

There arent any cons that come to mind

"London Compliance and Audit are sinking ships...Avoid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at MUFG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Contractors are well looked after.
    The London office is right next to Moorgate tube station.
    Lots of places to eat nearby.
    The very small staff canteen has a roof terrace.
    You are likely to have your own desk assigned to you.
    Option to buy additional holidays and good benefits for healthcare.

Cons

So many cons. I wish I had read this site before joining MUFG.
    MUFG (formally BTMU) is going through some major 'global' restructuring: Banking and Securities have merged; financial crime is reporting now to New York; and there is a new European legal entity that the majority of EU branches feed into through Amsterdam (all public knowledge). The result however is no one knows who is responsible for what, leading to lack of ownership, making day-to-day activities very hard. And although Compliance is growing there are many redundancies being made across Europe and lots of cost cutting elsewhere like with travel and technology. So many long standing staff in Compliance have resigned. The majority of staff across all three lines of defence therefore are very new, and it is rare for an employee in Compliance or Audit to have been in London for more than 2 years. It is common to hear from permanent employees in the business, Compliance and Audit that they are doing roles that they were not hired for and therefore leaving within a year or just after bonuses. London Audit team has the highest rate of attrition compared to any other department globally at MUFG. There were around 60 staff at the beginning of 2018 and AT LEAST 3 staff have been leaving every month and emergency contractors have had to be brought in. Also promotions are not often given in the department. Salaries are not competitive compared to the wider market.

Technology is outdated. Laptops are huge, old and must be checked out for at-home working or to use on business travel but often need LAN cables to connect to the internet. Laptops also often crash or can't be switched on but are not replaced due to budgets. The Citrix operation platform is very slow. There is NO air conditioning on the Compliance floor of the London office, nor in the European offices. Over the summer period this led to one staff member passing out, and staff are often asleep during training events due to the heat. Staff must request desk top fans which don't really help.

Development feedback is based on exceptions only in London Audit - you can only provide negative comments about working with colleagues which get added up and used to prevent promotions and cap bonuses which many found out at last bonus period. This really affected the mood of the office. You can nominate staff for recognition but this has no bearing on promotions or monitory contribution. Tone from the top is lacking and management in the department are not supportive or hold things confidential. From personal experience and observation, the mood in the Audit office is unpleasant for permanent staff and the pressures placed on senior staff ripples down to the junior staff through questionable behaviour which is overlooked, hence why so many staff have been leaving. Work life balance is poor due to lack of staff and lack of suitably trained staff, so additional tasks must be picked up leading to large workloads.

I would not recommend joining MUFG London Compliance or Audit at this time.

Advice to Management

Tokyo does not seem to care what standards regional hubs are operating to and overlook the issues. More focus needs to be put on tone at the top, ownership of issues and bullying. Waiting for fines or publicity is too late as MUFG's current negative reputation is growing in the recruitment sector and to new customers. More funds to need to be spent on hiring suitable staff and working technology.

9. "Assistant Vice President"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England

I have been working at MUFG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

forward thinking large market share and interesting business opportunities

Cons

Satellite of Head Office can cause issues when trying to push business

10. "Director"

I worked at MUFG full-time

Pros

- Global Bank
    - Growing non-Japanese management

Cons

- Outdated systems
    - Very conservative
    - No alignment

Advice to Management

Be clear about your specific business goals. There is a lot of try and see approach.