Manulife Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Manulife CEO Roy Gori
Roy Gori

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "my review for my day job"

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

good job good salary which is nice

Cons

bad office and the staff are rude

"Shifting employee culture"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent workplace flexibility. Very inclusive and diverse environment. Having a good manager makes all the difference. The new CEO is quite inspiring and and talks about balancing the needs of employees with shareholders and end customers. In the past, everything has been about shareholder value, so this shift to improving employee engagement is refreshing.

The culture changes from team to team, so if you have a good manager, it's a great place to work.

Cons

Pay is generally below scale. If you want a raise, you need to leave the company for a year and then come back, so it feels that loyalty is penalized.

There are some lazy and ineffective managers who seem overvalued at the expense of very talented, hard working individual contributors. My former manager lost 90% of his staff to competitors in less than 3 months because they couldn't stand his management style. It was shocking when he was promoted to director despite having extremely low employee satisfaction scores and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting bad managers. Start doing exit interviews when people leave. The good managers are wonderful.

17 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to write you review, and offer suggestions for improvement. We are happy to know that you are enjoying your experience with us!

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I benefited from moving around during my tenure, effectively having 3 different roles during that time. I also had the opportunity to work on high profile initiatives and projects that were instrumental in my learning and development, and gave me great exposure.

I loved the global model - the opportunity to work and partner with employees all over the world was extremely interesting and rewarding.

I was surrounded by really sharp talent from whom I also learned a lot. For the most part I had some great leaders who were invested in me and were great sponsors.

Incredible workplace flexibility program. Well compensated for the role I did.

Cons

For all the opportunity the company presents, it does come at a cost - namely balance. It is an aggressive company culture. Over the time I worked there, I went from working a fairly manageable 40-45 hour workweek to when I left, easily working 60+ hour weeks regularly. It was not sustainable, even with the flexibility to work whenever from wherever. It became fairly discouraging when despite all that effort and all the hours worked, I was managing to just keep the lights on. This was one of the main reasons I left. And ultimately I felt that my efforts were not recognized from a performance perspective....that simply became the new normal or the new benchmark by which I was measured.

Significant change environment which I actually enjoyed, however at times it was too much. They needed to let people breath and actually get comfortable with their revised roles or new processes before changing again.

While being part of a global team was great, the early morning and late night conference calls became too frequent and a bit much.

Advice to Management

The change of CEOs was long overdue to here is hoping the new one can really change parts of the culture and drive the company forward in an innovative and engaging way.

12 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to write your review and share your valuable feedback. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your experience with us!

5. "You will be trained professionally"

I worked at Manulife part-time

Pros

The benefits of a required target sales are great. The work environment is motivating as you will feel rewarding in the end of your hard work.

Cons

Suspension if you are not able to produce in 3 months. But that's already a long period of month to produce.
    Not much cons.

10 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your experience with us!

"Best experience"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Development opportunities
    Team that has a family feel, who's incredibly passionate about their jobs and motivated to help their colleagues succeed by helping and sharing knowledge
    Flexibility in terms of tasks catered to interests and work location
    Recognition and rewards
    $10,000 coverage towards mental health and wellness per year
    Parking
    Desire/ability to adapt and stay relevant

Cons

Cafeteria - prices (regularly pay upward of $15-$20 for a salad), lines that can take around 20 mins to get through at peak time but I've also waiting around 10 mins multiple times to pay when no one is there because only the person officially on cash can cash me out (cross train?), non-dairy options are non existent since I bought the last expired soy milk a few months ago - I wish I liked black coffee, soups are salty and made with tap water (chlorinated hard water) or the tomato paste isn't diluted and you get a spoonful, Charge extra for the veggie options (stirfry or wraps) - Next time I will get the chicken wrap but ask them to hold the chicken aha Does not seem to align with our partnership with Participaction or with Vitality.

Advice to Management

Continue "starting with why" when cascading information
    Find a new vendor for the cafeteria.

4 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review and offering suggestions for improvement. We are happy to know that you are enjoying your experience with us!

7. "Good place for a junior people to work and learn"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Manulife (More than a year)

Pros

work life balance for normal people

Cons

no more pormotion chance in this firm

8. "Salary"

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Hours, Location, Parking, Career, Food

Cons

Dress Code, Hours, Status, Benefits, Bonus

"Manulife"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay, good work life balance

Cons

terrible mid-level management doesn't know what they are doing

10. "Good benefits if you can handle the regional narcissistic sociopaths"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, challenging interesting work with a strong growth trajectory.

Cons

Highly political organisation, with a higher than average proportion of narcists with inflated egos in the regional office. Rather than attempting to solve issues constructively, these individuals will create fires in your area to deflect attention, work as groups against you until you speak up, and will then throw you under a bus.

If you are good at playing the game, being a member of the "club" and stroking egos, you'll survive. Individuals are only interested in furthering their own careers.

Advice to Management

Culture eats strategy for breakfast holds true. Strategies can't be delivered with an infighting team. Fluffy team building events aren't going to help, real action to weed out trouble makers is needed.

11. "old ideas, red tape, and inertia"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 15 vacation days of right off the bat

Cons

- very, very stingy with benefits and other perks
    - lots of red tape
    - very behind technologically
    - management is slow and drives a lot of decisions based on ego

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old blood!

17 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear you did not have a great experience with us. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com.