Penna Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 September 2018

Full-timePart-time

Julie Towers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They help good people move across the business rather than lose them altogether" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, loads to learn and friendly environment" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management bury heads in the sand at the sight of conflict" (in 7 reviews)

• "We are a small orginisation, althoughwe would like to offer everyone career progression we are limted in what we can offer" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Not your average employer"

I have been working at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honest feedback from management . Fantastic location and offices. Great work perks. They will support you if you ask for development in your career, it goes back to if you don't ask you don't get- Self led development.

Cons

It's a fast paced business and change is constant, this can be a positive if you are agile.

Advice to Management

Consider some more flexible working options across the business .

"Good work environment/WLB but no progression"

I worked at Penna full-time

Pros

Friendly environment and excellent culture/values, nice offices in a good location

Cons

Not much internal progression. Left due to lack of promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

introduce better opportunities for promotion and progression

"Friendly 'appearance'"

Current Employee - Campaign Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Campaign Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Penna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice location, attractive and tidy office

Cons

Management is quite unprofessional and unorganized when ready. Will you that they'll do something but will not even lift a finger to do so, despite constant reminders.

Advice to Management

Be real and straightforward. Respect will stem from it.

Penna Response

2 Jul 2018 – Marketing Lead

Thank you for your review which we do welcome. The management team always value every suggestion received and try to implement as many of these as possible within reason. Our open door policy also... More

"Penna..."

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Good benefits
    Good ethos and values
    Great anti discrimination policies

Cons

Senior management can be a hand full, they don't tend to care for the employees but team managers are great.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to what people are telling you, don't blindly believe you know what's best.

"A great place to progress your career"

I worked at Penna full-time

Pros

In short, Penna's a pretty decent place to work. From what I hear, experiences differ between different areas of the business but speaking from my time there I came away having learnt a lot and was lucky enough to meet a whole load of great, talented people. It's not without fault but no company is. With all of the change that's happened in the last couple of years, Penna's done a really good job of holding onto what they do well which I know is not always the way things go when a business gets purchased.

The main thing for me is that Penna offered me the opportunity to take on more responsibility and push myself in a supportive and encouraging environment. If you have the ambition to push on and you show potential they'll back you and for that I'm grateful.

There's a positive energy from senior management who are visible and approachable. They have a clear direction and where the business needs to move and, I believe, really care, which is refreshing.

Cons

There are, of course, a few in mid-managerial positions who completely do not belong there and have achieved this through clever manipulation but in a company of that size, it's inevitable. It's something you deal with and learn from.

Penna was always great at embracing the 'new'. New ways of improving things, new approaches to difficult challenges and new systems/platforms. Unfortunately, this often meant projects were placed on the back-burner and left unfinished before moving onto the next bright and shiny idea. 'Accountability' is one of the three key pillars yet it's desperately lacking and it costs money. Have deadlines, track progress and own projects.

Less personal to me - there's a real need to update the central MS Office suite of products, the lack of flexible working was disappointing, IT Team are underskilled

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to focus on individuals who are smart and not those who are good at saying they're smart. Time and time again, you end up in a scenario where the latter is charged with finding people who are smarter than themselves and the job is oversold and overpromised, resulting in an unsuccessful appointment where the new worker is bored and frustrated. I saw this happen over and over again.

Penna Response

2 Jul 2018 – Penna

Thank you for your detailed feedback which we value. We are very proud of how the company has thrived post acquisition and we know our employees work incredibly hard to ensure this remains the case... More

"Talented but undervalued people"

I worked at Penna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliantly creative people to work with. Some exciting accounts. Fantastic organised events including summer parties.

Cons

Work can be a feast or famine. Travel is to some grim parts of the UK at unsociable hours with few chances of an overnight stay - the fun overseas visits go to the SMT and their favourites. Lack of communication between teams can mean tons of work is done and wasted before discovering the client doesn't want to progress. Regular socialising suffers at the expense of organised fun.

Advice to Management

You have a fantastic team of creative, dedicated people. Show them you value them with proper career and salary progression before you lose the lot.

"Great company! Very happy!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Penna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive management/directors
    Very diverse
    Allows people to be themselves
    Staff get given alot i.e. Friday drinks, pizza Friday's, glamping etc
    They are very supportive of work life balance
    Very supportive with issues in personal life
    Promote career progression
    They help good people move across the business rather than lose them altogether
    Very open when they are able to be - more than any company I've ever work for

Cons

Communication isn't the greatest
    If it is an actual con - they give staff too much which has created a culture of some unappreciative people who take it all for granted but not sure that's really Pennas fault!

Advice to Management

It's a great company to work for,it's not perfect but then where is?!
    I've always found managers and directors very approachable and very helpful.
    It's great how they've really made this such a diverse company and I hope it stays this when when we move to the mother ship!

"Where careers go to die - WORST place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Flexibility (depending on department) -
    * The creative department is the only department that has any semblance of talent and strong work ethic.

Cons

*Negative atmosphere
    *Management plays by own rules - too much management "works from home " - when clearly not working from home as work piles up for junior staff or blamed for missed deadlines. Other roles are afforded the same flexibility. Was never picked up or resolved by the Directors
    * Lots of EGO - slows down workplace, lots of nitpicking and personal playground-type issues staff not focusing on own job roles. Gossiping and lots of personal relationships crossing over into the office
    *Feels like 3 different businesses. I worked in a position to see all three areas and get to know lots of the staff in each department.
    *Interim by far the worst - lots of ego, lazy workers, like to talk down to others but don't want to put in any effort, Half of them can't operate PowerPoint presentations yet want to tell you how to do your job what actually requires skills and creativity and knowledge of tech and current applications. They belong in an 80s Council department.
    *The other half of the room where Digital, Creative etc sit, feels more like agency, but still has issues of non-communication, no collaboration. Again management don't fulfil their jobs effectively. Less ego - but can be incredibly slow with decision making. Projects sit on the desk for months with no movement and gets incredibly boring.
    * Downstairs - Aldi - The Aldi team are treated like a call centre. That is the only way to describe the atmosphere - jobs are contracted so no job security. They seem the most unhappy.
    * Lots of talk about WE ARE FAMILY - literally everyone talks badly behind each others backs. I have never heard anything positive come out of anyone's mouth whilst there.
    *Directors especially Julie have head in the clouds. As much as they are visible and approachable anything brought up with them was always shrugged off. They need to be more strict with the head managers and middle managers as new talent will not stick around for long - especially with the rise of agencies who offer better pay and better treatment of staff.
    *Low pay for lucrative industry

Advice to Management

There needs to be some changes to management

"Penna post merger"

I worked at Penna (More than 3 years)

Pros

First class at everything they do. Unrivalled service portfolio and great people to work with.

Cons

Post Lee Hecht Harrison merger, culture changed, and not for the better in my view

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse offering, nice people, in theory opportunities to move into a different discipline.

Cons

Very government/public sector-orientated, spreadsheets are the management tool of choice.

Advice to Management

Take a long term view.