Penna Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 6 November 2018

Full-timePart-time

Julie Towers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Progressive HR policies, clear attempt at engagement by upper management, nice offices, generous holiday allowance" (in 6 reviews)

• "They help good people move across the business rather than lose them altogether" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Working at Penna"

I have been working at Penna full-time

Pros

Values, Vision and Culture is great.

Cons

None at the moment

Advice to Management

None

2. "It’s better if going full Addecco now - Your killers come with smiles"

Former Employee - Senior Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I worked at Penna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This on the surface is a nice place to work / retire
    The business has scale and lots of existing capability
    The business model means there’s lots of specialists around the place

Cons

It’s going no where and completely dependent on a few big producers
    The culture means you only count if your a big producer or work in a industry they commit to
    The diversity here is a joke , it’s just box ticking

Advice to Management

The business model is counter cyclical , so moving the business forward organically is really hard.
    The world is bigger than local government!

3. "Not your average employer"

I have been working at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honest feedback from management . Fantastic location and offices. Great work perks. They will support you if you ask for development in your career, it goes back to if you don't ask you don't get- Self led development.

Cons

It's a fast paced business and change is constant, this can be a positive if you are agile.

Advice to Management

Consider some more flexible working options across the business .

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Campaign Administrator
    Former Employee - Campaign Administrator

I worked at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Nice office space
    -subsidised food
    -few nice people

Cons

Completely toxic environment, felt like I was back at school because of they way I was treated. You could be 30 minutes early everyday, but one day your late because the trains were messed up, and you receive a passive aggressive, patronising email. Management would also always micromanage every little thing that you do, not allowing any freedom or pro-active-ness from their employees.
    People had actually told me that they dread coming into work and that this company is the sole reason for their depression and anxiety. This place should be avoided at all cost, ESPECIALLY if your not in management because you be treated like a 12 year old!
    The staff turn over was shocking! A temp would arrive and leave half way through the next day due to the management! (That is not normal)
    The directors have little care for any of the employees and sometimes I thought they don’t even want to be there.

Advice to Management

Advice to the management would be, stop being so patronising to younger members of staff, remember to treat all employees the same. Be more upfront and honest instead of passive aggressive, causing a toxic atmosphere.
    I think to change this company you need a complete shift in the way people are managed.
    STOP MICROMANAGING

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Someone Who Should Have Left Earlier in London, England
    Former Employee - Someone Who Should Have Left Earlier in London, England

I worked at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were nice

Cons

No career progression.
    Small web team and promising to expand but didn’t.
    No pay rise, not even inflation pay rise so every year I was technically making less
    Stupid ‘We are family’ motto. If this was the case then you should have given your employees a pay rise.
    Pay is below the industry standard
    The projects were boring
    I didn’t learn anything during the time I was there

"This company is a joke"

I worked at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ha! The incompetence of the organisation makes you feel like Einstein!

Cons

Cannot call this a company. It is actually a circus and clowns as managers trying to juggle their egos and pride instead of showing some talent. Management will stab their subordinates in the back to hide their own mistakes. People with no talent get their way and talented employees are driven out by alienating them with broken management styles and false promises.
    The most stressful, depressing and physically draining places to work in.
    It was definitely "them and us" culture with continuous condescending and patronising remarks from management.

Advice to Management

Pull you socks up and show respect to your employees. Maybe that will help the high staff turnover you have!.

"Good work environment/WLB but no progression"

I worked at Penna full-time

Pros

Friendly environment and excellent culture/values, nice offices in a good location

Cons

Not much internal progression. Left due to lack of promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

introduce better opportunities for promotion and progression

"Friendly 'appearance'"

Current Employee - Campaign Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Campaign Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Penna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice location, attractive and tidy office

Cons

Management is quite unprofessional and unorganized when ready. Will you that they'll do something but will not even lift a finger to do so, despite constant reminders.

Advice to Management

Be real and straightforward. Respect will stem from it.

Penna Response

2 Jul 2018 – Marketing Lead

Thank you for your review which we do welcome. The management team always value every suggestion received and try to implement as many of these as possible within reason. Our open door policy also... More

"A great place to progress your career"

I worked at Penna full-time

Pros

In short, Penna's a pretty decent place to work. From what I hear, experiences differ between different areas of the business but speaking from my time there I came away having learnt a lot and was lucky enough to meet a whole load of great, talented people. It's not without fault but no company is. With all of the change that's happened in the last couple of years, Penna's done a really good job of holding onto what they do well which I know is not always the way things go when a business gets purchased.

The main thing for me is that Penna offered me the opportunity to take on more responsibility and push myself in a supportive and encouraging environment. If you have the ambition to push on and you show potential they'll back you and for that I'm grateful.

There's a positive energy from senior management who are visible and approachable. They have a clear direction and where the business needs to move and, I believe, really care, which is refreshing.

Cons

There are, of course, a few in mid-managerial positions who completely do not belong there and have achieved this through clever manipulation but in a company of that size, it's inevitable. It's something you deal with and learn from.

Penna was always great at embracing the 'new'. New ways of improving things, new approaches to difficult challenges and new systems/platforms. Unfortunately, this often meant projects were placed on the back-burner and left unfinished before moving onto the next bright and shiny idea. 'Accountability' is one of the three key pillars yet it's desperately lacking and it costs money. Have deadlines, track progress and own projects.

Less personal to me - there's a real need to update the central MS Office suite of products, the lack of flexible working was disappointing, IT Team are underskilled

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to focus on individuals who are smart and not those who are good at saying they're smart. Time and time again, you end up in a scenario where the latter is charged with finding people who are smarter than themselves and the job is oversold and overpromised, resulting in an unsuccessful appointment where the new worker is bored and frustrated. I saw this happen over and over again.

Penna Response

2 Jul 2018 – Penna

Thank you for your detailed feedback which we value. We are very proud of how the company has thrived post acquisition and we know our employees work incredibly hard to ensure this remains the case... More

"Penna..."

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

I have been working at Penna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Good benefits
    Good ethos and values
    Great anti discrimination policies

Cons

Senior management can be a hand full, they don't tend to care for the employees but team managers are great.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to what people are telling you, don't blindly believe you know what's best.