QinetiQ Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 253 reviews

3.2
QinetiQ CEO Steve Wadey
Steve Wadey
Pros
  • "Interesting work, clever people (without big heads(in 34 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is good and I'm able to work with the flexibility I need to perform at my best while also tending to a young family(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Middle management do not live the company values(in 22 reviews)

• "Some senior management or 'leaders' operate completely separately from the Subject Matter Experts (SME's) on the shop floor(in 18 reviews)

"Fascinating work, friendly people"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Consultant in Great Malvern, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no shortage of work at QinetiQ, and it's all so different. You're given the time and space to explore topics in depth to produce quality outputs. The work/life balance is good and I'm able to work with the flexibility I need to perform at my best while also tending to a young family. There's a very collegiate atmosphere here, and I've found management approachable and helpful at all levels.

Cons

I work with a lot of people I'm deeply impressed by, but who don't seem to realise how good they are! That said, this sort of modesty is actually good to work with, so it's not really a negative.

Advice to Management

Keep on this trajectory - it's working.

QinetiQ2019-09-01
  2. "Hard to say"

Current Employee - IT Administrator in Gosport, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some benefits and it's a stable company.

Cons

Pay is under average I think.

QinetiQ2019-09-30

"This ship is turning, one to watch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities and safe environment to grow and develop your professional and personal skills if you have the drive and ambition, this is the place to learn & practice your skills. Cultural change from a fixed to a growth mindset is starting to take hold, it is this empowerment of the workforce to do the right things that will make the difference. Management committed to making this happen. CEO strategy for a... £1.5Bn, integrated global defence company is taking root. This company is set to go places over the next few years. One to watch

Cons

Not quite the integrated, lean and efficient organisation it needs to be. Typical public sector bureaucratic processes in core functions impedes the agility of the business, although there are signs of change. Unclear, Complex, conflicting and undocumented security and export “regulations” forces staff into taking a highly protective view of the data they create and consume, inhibits appropriate data and knowledge... sharing, prevents collaboration across the in country business, let alone globally. This has to be tackled to unlock the global potential of this company. Too many business units and subsidiaries purchasing or developing non-standard IT systems which inhibits knowledge management and collaboration. IT need to start providing the modern technologies and capabilities we need to improve the way we work not just modernise the furniture and meeting rooms.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, the ship has started to turn but still needs a firm set of hands on the tiller. Keep us turning toward the strategic vision. Security and Export are too UK centric in their thinking although they are probably not the only ones, their UK only attitude must be redressed if we are to become a truly global company. Ensure that we have the right set of globally integrated IT systems and negate... the need for us to have to build, support and maintain our own bespoke solutions. Enforce a global IT policy.

QinetiQ2019-09-08
  4. "A changed company!"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Cosham, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working hours (provided 37 hours per week is achieved over a rolling 4 week period).

Cons

Managers regularly "encourage" you to produce the same output in less time. Focus has gone away from people and quality; feels as though profit is now the main driver. Ongoing company structural changes were not complete prior to recent redundancies. Now things have settled down some areas are extremely busy and struggling for resources, some areas are less busy. Not well thought out in my opinion.

QinetiQ2019-09-20

"A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Head of Site in Dorchester, South West England, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than a year

Pros

An interesting, engaging and supportive place to work. I feel my contribution is valued and I feel both encouraged and supported by my management team. The flexible working hours are fantastic with a young family and the benefits on offer are appealing. The business is certainly pushing forwards and upwards with a clear goal for the future and, based on recent financial results, likely to get there.

Cons

There’s a bit of painful process to get some things done and there are a few people still entrenched in the past and unwilling to move forward but nothing I’d really class as a con.

Advice to Management

Keep taking us in the current direction of travel but leave some of the processes behind!

QinetiQ2019-08-19
  6. "Bullying Grossly Incompetent Inept Over Paid Mangers."

Former Employee - Security Officer in Aberporth, Wales

I worked at QinetiQ full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Annual Leave with added sick leave.

Cons

Poor working environment based on progression gained via family connections and brown nosing.

Advice to Management

Do not demand loyalty from your staff whilst you receive a pay rise over their 0% pay rises, and then revel in your high paid jobs, with your inept family members that you have put in to their jobs, some of which were created just for them that's just vile and corrupt.

QinetiQ2019-09-24

"Busy place, lots to do"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diverse technical opportunities. You can broaden or deepen interests, with ability to chart your own path across projects and teams.

Cons

Need to find those who can help you. Can be dynamic and challenging timescales, although some critical technical work can be supported by additional hours or time off in lieu, so you can benefit from getting stuck in and making a difference.

Advice to Management

Keep on going - make it easy to do the right thing, quickly.

QinetiQ2019-08-10
  8. "Flexible place to work"

I worked at QinetiQ

Pros

Flexible working environment, people dedicated to helping customers.

Cons

Invest in the right people to grow

QinetiQ2019-08-28

"Good growing company with a lot of heritage and technology"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility Broad range of work Great locations Work life balance

Cons

Getting tied up with process and spreadsheets Systems are clunky and not well connected

Advice to Management

Keep at it with the growth and transformation strategies Please give us some decent, integrated tools!

QinetiQ2019-08-07

"Growth focussed, both business and people"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Malvern, England

I have been working at QinetiQ full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The CEO is an inspiration and a person says, acts and behaves in a consistent way. He’s a clear role model for what all staff should aspire too, not just leaders and mangers. There has and continues to be opportunities to have a long and varied career if you are flexible and prepared to make things happen. There is a lot of support available, not just from your direct managers and people are happy to provide their... time to help you improve. There is a great mix or hard and soft benefits, it’s not all about salary, even though we all like more money, but it offers some great additional benefits.

Cons

A lot of work has been done developing a narrative around QinetiQ’s purpose but it still gets diluted as it flows through and down to day to day operations. The lack of clarity makes it difficult for those without direct contact with senior leaders to experience what we are trying achieve and why that’s such a great thing to be part of.

Advice to Management

Clarity clarity and more clarity; with a diverse geographical and demographic organisation the message needs different and varied ways of being communicated. Create space and time for people to make sense of things - any organisation which delivers projects knows time is precious but we must make time for people properly and think. There is a relentlessness about how we deliver which can become consuming and... unproductive.

QinetiQ2019-08-08