Regent University Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Pat Robertson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Wonderful people to work with and a beautiful campus" (in 26 reviews)

• "Great work environment because most of your co-workers share a common goal, which is to glorify Christ in their everyday lives" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Required to go to Chapel every Wednesday and low pay" (in 7 reviews)

• "Starting off was great, there was a ton of room for advancement and the growth was exciting" (in 4 reviews)

1. "UNI Review"

I have been working at Regent University part-time

Pros

The professors are good and helpful.The location is nice.

Cons

The age range is very young.

2. "NETWORKING TYPE OF UNI"

Current Employee - Student in London, England
    Current Employee - Student in London, England

I have been working at Regent University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top class environment well sustained. Quality of teaching is there but the most remarkable is the network you can build.

Cons

Low requirements, students lacks of involvement and academic background. Communication between stakeholders is insufficient

Advice to Management

Higher standards in term of attendance and grading. More regular summative work should be required. Events should be more relevant.

"Know what to expect"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at Regent University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Beautiful, Godly colleagues to work with an encourage you.
    - Beautiful campus
    - Great selection of programs online and on campus.

Cons

- The overall feeling that your leadership is not as genuine as they seem. I have fallen in love with the leadership because they do speak very nicely and always have something nice to say to you. Still, how can all these unethical practices come from such loving people?
    - When I first started here it was a beautiful environment where we had time to call our prospects and did not need to worry about getting so many applications. I think the university got very excited that we reached our students goals 2 years in a row and so they continued to make bigger and bigger goals. They hired a lot more people, combined the application and registration teams, and created smaller teams for more training opportunities. We were looking up! Unfortunately, it did not work like we would have hoped. We bought more leads and were required to get more applications. This means that we were over saturated with applications without the time to call all of them back for conversations and registration. My team changed so much that I had 5 new coaches in the span of 12 months. This I was very, very hard especially with the constant programs details naturally changing. Every coach had different expectations and things they did not care about. When we got used to doing our job one way to make that coach satisfied, we had to change it again. The next coach, every time, acted like the coach before did not have a clue what they were talking about. I found this very strange.
    - There is no written standard for program information or QA. While there is written standards for the calls scripts, this changes so often it is very hard to keep up with.
    - There is a lot of talk about "practicing multitasking". What they mean is you literally need to be able to do emails, outbound calls, inbound calls, dialer, additional tasks, certain training videos, etc at the same time. According to the research in education, which I had done significant research in, our brains cannot sufficiently focus on more than one thing at a time. It is better to prioritize a few areas to do them well and them move onto a few more areas. I have explained this to my leadershio adn they agreed with me, yet when I get in trouble for not answering their email because I am busy trying to meet the overall goal of registrations by calling my applicants, I am reprimanded. When everything is priority, nothing is a priority and goals WILL SUFFER.
    - Most if not all of the employees feel helpless because of the two-faced attitudes of the leadership. I do not think that they are conscious of this because like I said, I could totally be friends with these people . But when you say "You can come to me with anything especially if you are scared or hurt" , and then when you come to them because you are scared or hurt they say, "I always pictured you as a positive and strong pillar on our team, but this attitude is not becoming of an AC, especially not one considering leadership". Hold on. So, unless I sit on the issues and smile and wave, I have an attitude problem? I am very hurt at the way I have been "put in my place" time and time again. I have been a top performer for over 12 months (since I started), especially since I have been doing this same job for over 6 years. Now that numbers are declining, I am once again being "coached" on how to do the job that I have already been very successful at doing. Nothing has changed. I am still the same person. I refuse to harass my students and I refuse to app unqualified candidates just to be rejected. I care about people too much to drag them along. My ethic involves treating all people honestly.

Advice to Management

I think many of you have forgotten what it is like to be on the phones. I know many of you also struggle with this ghost term of "multitasking". Simplicity is key and set tried and true principals (best practices in customer service nit just getting numbers) is what helps retention. We cannot just get so many people and hope they stick and them blame the AC's for not doing their job. When the standards are lowered (as I said a year ago) retention will suffer. This has happened at every school I have worked for and is common knowledge in the education industry. Growth comes slow and steady when a school has built a reputation for excellence and consistency in its alumni. The schools that have stood the test of time have very strict admissions policies and 80-100% retention rates. Please, lets go back to quality. Unfortunately I know all too well that the managers of this department do not make the rules and I know others who have left because they could not abide by the lack of a Christian worldview by feeding off the countries obsession and abuse of online education.

"$ales Pitch"

I worked at Regent University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be able to pray with wonderful colleagues without being excluded. Campus is nice for walking.

Cons

I know you're thinking these reviews can't possibly be true. Is Regent really that bad?

I'm here to tell you that these comments don't accurately tell the story. No Regent is not that bad, it's worse! Here at Regent we believe in being the very best at being the very worst. In fact, that's apart of our charm. Just when you think we can't get any lower--we do! It's like a fun game we play with our employees.

Feeling comfortable and settled in your desk space? Let us shake that up for you! No need to get attached to your cubicle, we're going to ask you to move at least four times a year and just for fun--you may end up back to where you started from!

Love being treated like an adult and trusted to do your job? We didn't think you did either! Let us hold your hand through your workday and micromanage you into we breath in sync. There is nothing you can do that we won't know about. We'll monitor your screens and listen to your calls for ensurance. Sound creepy? It is!

We pride ourselves on being Christian. We'll talk about it daily but don't expect us to follow the principles (silly goose)! We love Jesus but that guy was kind of radical with his mercy message. No--we want you to be scared to make a mistake until you do and we'll know.

Our fearless leader, M.G. Robertson has imparted a vision for stewardship over the sheep. So if you enjoy being demeaned, paid below average wages, and offended every quarter during staff meetings--we have the musical desk and headset for you! (Disclaimer: Loving the president isn't required but appreciated)

Advice to Management

Humble yourselves.

"Leave the Titanic"

Current Employee - Faculty in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Faculty in Norfolk, VA (US)

I have been working at Regent University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

wonderful colleagues and some outstanding students.

Cons

over 100 people were let go in spring 2018- some with no warning and with as little as two weeks notice. The SOE is on their 6th dean in 5 years, there is no communication, strong programs are leveled and program decisions made in 20 minutes, leaders are ineffective at all levels- one administrator openly stated that the place was going under- what kind of message is that- maybe the truth for once? as if we did not know this--

Advice to Management

quit and give the once great institution the chance to survive, someone needs to come in and clean house starting with academic affairs- the decisions made in that office are destroying what is left- we are surrounded by yes men wearing bow ties-- as if that is some club. The renowned scholars and faculty are quitting and the quality of students declining. Where is all of the money going?

"Not just growing pains"

Former Employee - Administrative in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Regent University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Christ-centered staff and faculty. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Two different environments/worlds exist here: Enrollment management(Admissions and Advising) and the Schools(faculty and staff). Two different employee handbooks exist depending on where you work. The first is a call-center environment with ridiculous KPI requirements, underpaid and overworked staff who are desperately trying to get their jobs done with little hope of promotion. Mid-management in enrollment are young managers with little experience and lack of common sense. “A put out the fire” mentality is prevalent, while only using report data to solve issues is a go to daily. Fear of making mistakes, not meeting call numbers or not following the politically correct narrative will get a worker the boot. Servant Leadership is non-existent. In an effort to increase numbers, the standards of acceptance was dramatically dropped and students are accepted into programs that should not even have been considered. The admission process for some doctoral programs were completely taken out of the hands of faculty and accepted students struggle because they are unable to meet the rigor of the program. Probations and dismissals have increased dramatically and students remain on the rolls because they haven’t officially withdrawn. Questionable calling practices are used and most students block the university on their phone due to incessant call campaigns. Workers only stay due to loyalty to students and faculty, while others leave as soon as they can. Levels of fear and toxicity go up and down depending on when the board meets or visits the campus. Massive firings occurred this year after commencement, some with little notice. Faculty mirror these same issues for fear of losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Return to servant leadership. Allow promotion of those who are experienced/older and have demonstrated their ability. Stop being so political. Stop trying to create an appearance that false. Clean house in leadership. Support your faculty by hiring more. Stop filling in with adjuncts that don’t hold our Christian values. Return to the standards and quality of the school before we campaigned for such high numbers three year ago. Regent University is God’s School and He will bring the numbers. Listen to those who are actually speaking and working with students and parents...not the VPs, ADs or managers. Advisors, counselors, admin staff and faculty know the truth, but fear for their position if they are not towing the company line. Remove KPI requirements and workforce management “Big Brother” style and grow your employees. Stop treating them like children or workers in a call center sweatshop. Tell Dr. Robertson the truth. I can’t believe this was the vision God gave him years ago. Live up to your mission statement when it comes to your employees.

"Prepare yourselves MENTALLY"

I worked at Regent University full-time

Pros

Pay , Discounted Tuition, Benefits

Cons

NOT always treated fairly , repetitiveness, very "political"

"Going down hill?"

I have been working at Regent University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good mission. Nice people in department.

Cons

Increase teaching load but not change in other structures such as service, research. Top down management, moral low overall. Isolated campus, soloed.

Advice to Management

List to staff and faculty.

"Revolving Door for Student Services Professionals"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant

I worked at Regent University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kind, Christ-like employees with good hearts and positive ideals

Cons

Administration underpays student services and is more concerned about boosting numbers than about quality of programs and services provided. Lots of great student affairs professionals have been forced to exit due to disappointment with higher administration priorities. Don't work for Regent if you want to work in Student Services (i.e. career services, financial aid, counseling, campus life).

Advice to Management

Treat Student Life departments with higher priority, and pay them more competitive wages. Close that revolving door of great people who can't get paid what they're worth and are subjected to unnecessary and Christ-defaming drama.

"Good for a Christian school"

I worked at Regent University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers to work with. Good employee reimbursement benefits for you and spouse.

Cons

Stressful due to goals that are set. Things change too often.