SUGARFISH Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SUGARFISH Reviews

Updated Nov 18, 2019

3.3
SUGARFISH CEO Kazunori Nozawa (no image)
Kazunori Nozawa
  1. "HIGH TURNOVER RATE FOR A REASON!"

Current Employee - Host in Studio City, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SUGARFISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great job to have if you live with your parents and don't have bills to pay.

Cons

High stress for low pay. Will work you 6 days a week with a cumulative total of 30-35 hours per week. Sprinkle on some racism, homophobia, and sexism for spice too in this work environment.

Advice to Management

Quit.

SUGARFISH2019-11-19
  2. "Racial Hiring and Mediocre Wages"

Former Employee - Host in New York, NY

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good food and some good people, easy once you get in the flow

Cons

only promotes white and east asian people. if you aren't that don't expect to ever be a server, no matter how long you work there. Only restaurant that doesn't feed their staff. No tips and mediocre wages. You can make way more at another restaurant and actually afford groceries

SUGARFISH2019-08-27
  3. "Great Learning Experience / Taught me discipline and quality over quantity."

Former Employee - Assistant Kitchen Manager/Kitchen Lead

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great money / Over time guaranteed.

Cons

5 to 6 Days Double Shifts , And Triple shifts. Work is life and no life out side of work .

Advice to Management

Flexibility with employees.

SUGARFISH2019-05-11
  4. "Money, Money, Money"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up Great money, better than most of the industry

Cons

You will only succeed if you make your job your life. If you are looking for balance between work and your social life, look elsewhere. Used to be a very family feeling place to work, however as the company grew larger, turned into a typical corporation. You will feel overworked and underappreciated, at every level from entry to upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that your employees grew your company to the empire that it is today. Your employees are people, not machines.

SUGARFISH2019-03-28
  5. "The company doesn’t care"

Current Employee - Host/Food Runner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SUGARFISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pays decently for the work

Cons

It’s seems like a great job at first because it’s pretty simple work, but after working there for about 5 months I realize that the company doesn’t care about their employees at all. They also expect you to memorize an entire handbook of questions that “customers might ask you” that you have to memorize word for word that usually never comes, and if you get too many wrong you get a write up. You also have so many... managers that talk down to you. Overall the experience is not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Care more we’re not just numbers

SUGARFISH2019-02-12
  6. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Great average pay Insurance benefits Opportunity for growth

Cons

Scheduling Only paid little more compared to being a server

Advice to Management

Better schedule or pay

SUGARFISH2018-09-18

"Good Company, High expectations"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Good Salary Good Benefits Team structure Lots of growth, high turnover rate

Cons

Work like a slave High expectations from Upper management some management favortism a lot of brown nosing customers high turnover rate not flexible schedule

SUGARFISH2018-06-20
  8. "Seriously?"

Former Employee - FOH in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is good and isn’t dependent on tips, so you know exactly what you’ll walk away with. 50% off of the sushi...that’s about it.

Cons

For starters, seriously? I understand having pride in what you do, but the pressure here is crazy for no reason. They take themselves insanely seriously and are not a friendly company. The managers and GM’s are cold, rude, and unprofessional. I’ve worked in many restaurants and during my training week alone I felt so berated I cried more than once. Also - when you start in the company you are usually hired as a... “floater”, meaning you will float amongst locations on any given day and your schedule will change every week. You will have one day off, but other than that you are either scheduled or have to be available to come in until a certain time of the day. Once again...seriously? How is anyone supposed to plan anything? You can’t even schedule a dentist appointment. When you request off for one day for this purpose or another, you’re told it’s “not promised”. My first week of work an employee who had been there for 1+ year told me “SugarFish has to be your life if you want to work here”. The whole environment is so negative and toxic. Would warn anyone who looks for a positive workplace that cares about their employees and anyone who has a life to stay far away.

Advice to Management

Just because a manager or GM has been with your company for a long time doesn’t mean they are best for your company. Have a really high turnover rate? Check how your employees are being treated by their direct reports.

SUGARFISH2018-06-23
  9. "FOH"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay. That's about it. 27/hr for servers. Also you can move up quickly if you put in the hours.

Cons

Memorizing ridiculous speeches, random pop quizzes on the speeches, having to feel like you need to cover shifts on your off days to move up in the company, they make you feel bad if you can't cover a shift, they ALWAYS called on my days off for me to come in. Also during the midday shift it was only one sever and the manager and of course the manager did nothing so really it was one person doing everything. You... need to have more people on a shift. The GM's are creepy and make you feel uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap. You guys make so much money and it would be helpful to have an extra person on a shift.

SUGARFISH2018-03-13
  10. "It is what it is"

I worked at SUGARFISH part-time

Pros

The pay is slightly higher since they use a bonus system instead of tips

Cons

Always understaffed, difficult to get time off or shifts covered, written up/penalized for every ridiculous thing including if people dine and dash.

Advice to Management

Fairness and compassion are values that people care about. Even if everything's about money at least try to pretend like it's not.

SUGARFISH2017-10-25