So friendly and exciting and interesting
Sometimes difficult to communicate between teams
Excelent people, nice volunteering position and some benefits like being able to enjoy the exhibition and bring friends with you
none that i can think
I have been working at Science Museum Group part-time (More than a year)
- Team members are supportive, fun and great people which makes the workday enjoyable.
- Role is not difficult but can be fast-paced and varied on weekends.
- Very customer-oriented so good if you enjoy interacting with people.
- There is the opportunity to work at exciting events since the Museum is often used as a popular hosting venue. You might meet many a famous face.
- You must be a very good and patient communicator, you will come across LOTS of tourists with little spoken-english ability, misbehaving children, rude visitors, stressed parents etc.
- Lots of things in the museum are frequently broken (flight simulation rides, lifts, escalators, interactive exhibits), and there are sometime very long queues for popular experiences. Visitors will act like all of this is your fault because you are front of house.
- Turnover of team members is quite high. Many people work part time as students so leave when their degree is up. That being said, friendship among ex-staff members is quite strong.
I have been working at Science Museum Group full-time
- Some great benefits, generous holiday, flexible working arrangements
- Good career progression and open to looking at opportunities to develop career
- I work at the Science Museum..
- Some facilities in the older building are dated/lacking
- Budget can be stretched as technically a charity, resulting in hurdles to making significant changes which limits capacity for making improvements
I have been working at Science Museum Group full-time (More than 10 years)
We display spacecraft and know astronauts!
People love our brand
Our visitors go away happy
So much to do, so little time
I worked at Science Museum Group part-time
free entry to other exhibitions at other museums/galleries
management are useless and arent very good
I have been working at Science Museum Group part-time
The Science Museum is one of the most interesting places to work at and the people there couldn't be nicer
Admittedly the salary could be better
I worked at Science Museum Group full-time (More than a year)
Most of the operational staff are lovely, supportive and hard working.
Staff morale is extremely low, and there are very limited development opportunities.
Advice to Management
Involve staff more in developing strategies to improve morale. Currently very top down.
I have been working at Science Museum Group full-time (More than 3 years)
Working in such a renowned place, you walk past iconic science exhibits every day on your way into work.
The colleagues are generally a really good bunch, the first line managers are normally ok.
If you knew who to ask for things or where things were everyone was really helpful, but nobody ever told you stuff, you just had to try and work it out for yourself.
Everyone knows the pay is bad but it means turnover is really high.
Training is minimal, from day 1 you are counted as one of the people on a position and don't have any to learn properly. You just have to try your best to pick it up as you go along. A lost security guard asked me for directions once because he'd never been shown round this part of the building.
The building is old and doesn't seem to be looked after. Our staff room had no microwave for ages, and a leaky roof, you'd report things and a guy would come "to have a look" and that's all that happened, nobody fixed it.
There was a bit shooting snootyness from back office people . They'd send out emails wishing everyone a good Christmas holiday, whilst you had to work through it.
I have been working at Science Museum Group part-time (Less than a year)
Great peers in the team you work with
Amazing buildings and contents in the form of one of the most prestige museum collections in the world.
Staff discounts in the shops and cafes
Reciprocal agreements with other museums and cultural organisations across london and the UK.
Horrible visitors can ruin a day, and some are downright awful.
The current customer relationship managment system still needs a lot of work.
Staff room is badly equipped and not the nicest place to take breaks.
Not enough training time for the roles you undertake.
Unpaid lunch breaks mean an 8hr day becomes 7 paid.
"Revolving door" is fast.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?