Science Museum Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Science Museum Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Science Museum Group

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

They were very quick to send invitations for interview. The HR were very friendly, informative and offered adjustments for disabilities. The interviewers were friendly and informal. However, the interview itself was a bit strange as I was asked a total of 2 questions and the Head of Design spent a lot of the time complaining about the job. My answers weren't written down. Then it took over 3 weeks to hear that I didn't get the job. We got an email a week after the interview from HR to say that there was a delay in the decision making process and we would hear back within a week, however a further 2 weeks passed before I heard that I was unsuccessful. I was told I could ask for feedback, but I didn't receive a response when I asked for some.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

When you get an assessment day, You will be given an introduction to the role and what to expect if you are successful in becoming an Explainer.
    During the day we will assess you on various exercises including group tasks and discussion groups as well as short 1-to-1 interviews.
    As the day progresses we will select those candidates to continue the day and some candidates will be free to go home if we don’t feel they are a good fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• I got sent home early into the process, but the group activity I got to attend was a bingo type game, where you have to fill out the whole list of what person does these activity (they're looking for social people)
      Also had to do a group presentation on how your team would survive after a plan crash in the amazon jungle( looking for teamworking and presentation skills)
      next was a card game with the same group called taboo.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Easy interview, gave a presentation on an interesting object and talked to the coordinators about the role and why I wanted to join. Talked to the rest of the group and was given info about the museum.

Interpretation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Online application, no CVs accepted. On the day, 30 minutes alone in the interview room to prepare a task. Then presentation of the task and panel interview with 2 senior members of staff.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you managed an under-performing team member   Answer Question

Explainer Interview

Interview

It was a large group assessment where you were placed in groups then eliminated throughout the day akin to X-Factor.

After a few hours of this, they then informed us there would be one on one interviews. We would be called if we Did not receive an interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions involving scenarios that could happen to you in this Position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied for the post online, and shortly after the deadline was invited for interview via email. I had to rsvp my attendance. I arrived and gave my name at the security desk. I was taken to a room with activity tables and given 15minutes to devise a 3minute presentation using a provided prop. An activity sheet with information and tips was on the table, along with a pencil and paper for me to structure my presentation. After 15mins I was taken to a second room with an interview panel. An explanation of the role was given, I think I was asked some preliminary questions, then I was asked to deliver my presentation to the panel as if the panel were age group 8-11 (I think?). Then came the STAR competency questions, each of the panel took turns asking questions, but I was so nervous I can’t remember them. Still waiting for feedback, but I suspect it’s because I’ve only just st learnt what STAR is

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of what is my role within a team dynamic. Would be worth googling the chart for this and identifying yourself beforehand   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

The process was a group assessment day with roughly 30 people, that may take a full day 9am-5pm depending on whether you get through.
    I personally made it to the second stage, it is a bit jarring as there are two moments where they send you away on breaks. In which they will call people to tell them they are not taking their application froward.
    The tasks set were more fun games to see how you work in a group, so the first one where a group scenario where you had to decide in small groups what survival items you would bring if you were in a plane crash.
    They basically wanted to see how well you worked in a group, if you dominated the conversation or delegated, and then how well you presented to the rest of the groups.
    Then there was a game of Articulation to see how well you could explain things on the fly. (All using scientific terminology)

In the second phase things were much more difficult, we were required to explain our hobbies in detail, in small groups. And then we were given scenarios that could occur in the museum and asked how we would handle them (this is where I fell down- more on that later).
    The last task was a logic puzzle to figure out the missing item in a pattern. Again, I assume it was to see how you worked in a group, and how open you are to helping others.

So the scenario task was the hardest I will put up some of the examples that tripped me up. But they mainly entered around: How would you cope/what would you do in this scenario if this person was talking badly about the museum, or getting things wrong?

One thing to note is that there did not seem to be many Scientifically minded applicants, which surprised me, but rather theatrical applicants, so quite a few performers were there, suggesting the dominant skills you need are public speaking and being calm when handling large groups.

Phase 3 as far as I am aware was a 1-1 interview where they asked you more about why you want to work there, and what particular skills you would bring to the team.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw one of your fellow Explainers giving the wrong information to a member of the public? i.e Explaining Newtons Law all wrong. (and further, what if this was a Senior Explainer, who had been working there years and years).   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a member of the public came up to you and started to complain that the exhibitions did not teach the kids anything.   1 Answer
    • A parent has turned up 15 mins late to their exhibition booking (Wonderlab), with their children, and are asking to go in, how would you handle this? (especially if they are grumpy and disgruntled)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

The interview consists on three parts, two of them are group ones with activities and group discussions and the third one is an individual one. There are two breaks inbetween where they tell people not to come back.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if (hypothetical situation) happened?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (London, England).

Interview

Fairly simple. Filled out online application and was invited for an interview. Interview was mainly 12 situational questions. You really need to show you have experience. Interviewed by 2 people who would write your answers. Very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you've worked in a team and produced a successful outcome   Answer Question

Photography Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Science Museum Group (Manchester, England) in September 2018.

Interview

Two part interview, one questions with two senior members of staff, asking basic interview questions.
    Then we had one practical test, taking photographs of different objects and editing them on the laptop available.

Interview Questions

• how would you take a photograph of a white object on a white background?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.