Social Tables Reviews

3.8
Social Tables CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Social Tables provides an excellent opportunity for any motivated and dedicated professional to learn and grow rapidly(in 21 reviews)

• "Weekly Happy Hours, Annual Awards Show, Holiday Party at great locations(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Change is a constant at Social Tables, so it's not the right place for people who value stability(in 11 reviews)

• "Work life balance is something that can vary(in 6 reviews)

"Post-Cvent Acquisition Thoughts"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Social Tables was acquired by Cvent in October of 2018 - Way bigger pond to play in, lots of opportunities within Cvent for career growth - Best of both worlds - we retained our office, (great space in DT D.C.), our management team, a lot of autonomy; but have Cvent support in lots of efforts - Cvent has been helpful in breaking new ground with customers that before didn't work with us - Product has stabilized (although there are still some challenges) - You have to work hard (but you do have the opportunity to play hard!)

Cons

- The integration was really tough. We lost some people and almost every process was updated. - Cvent is way bigger and we had to level up to their contract cleanliness, etc. It was hard. - The good news is that 90% of integration projects are behind us - We have a few ongoing misalignments with the product team, but it's definitely better than it was a year ago

"Post-acquisition thoughts"

Current Employee - Product in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- stable roadmap and processes - more resources and mentorship

Cons

- more focus on our core, less expansion into new products - slightly more process

Continue reading

"Social Tables is back as one of the top tech companies in DC"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than a year

Pros

- New Head of Engineering joined in December, bringing back strong tech culture - Profitable - Fast pace of development, but with a great work/life balance - Great tech stack with modern tools - Meetups in the office every week - Great coworkers - Office space is amazing - Diverse workforce - Lots of energy - Cool lunch and learns (like today there was one on public speaking) - Monthly all-hands with AMAs where leadership team talks transparently about things that are going on

Cons

One of our products was killed after the Cvent acquisition. Several people got bummed and left (see comments in another review about poor communication). Fewer happy hours since January

Continue reading

"My Journey at Social Tables"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

I started working for Social Tables in May 2017 as a part-time as a Customer Care Representative right after I completed the Disney College Program in Orlando, FL— so, I had the hospitality training, but I needed to enhance my Tech skills to level up for a full-time position. I had to push myself, work hard, but then I was promoted to full-time on the Customer Care Team on February 8th, 2018 (exactly 1 year ago today!) Reflecting on my journey today, I can really appreciate how much I’ve grown and learned on both a professional and personal level since my time here. Sure — there were some long and hard days, days that were better than others. But I’ve had great managers/mentors to learn from, fantastic colleagues who support me, I get to oversee our official Instagram account, work out of an amazing office space located in the heart of D.C., and I’ve had so many great opportunities from Social Tables — branching off that, I just received a promotion this week! I am now a Senior Client Success Advisor and I’m thrilled for this next step in my career. My growth here has proven to me that hard work pays off, and does not go unnoticed. We were acquired by Cvent in October of 2018 but our culture has remained the same! It’s been such a great learning experience going through this acquisition too. Throughout this time of constant change, it’s apparent how important our core values and culture matter. This company is truly unlike any other, there is never a dull moment, and everyone has a #WorkHardPlayHard mentality. You can be yourself here and people will embrace your quirks. My experience at Social Tables has been very positive and I’m so excited for my next step!

Cons

N/A - the pros outweigh the cons

"Culture of Fear"

2.0

I worked at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, and the most diverse team I've seen at any tech startup in DC. Cutting-edge tech stack, great place to learn.

Cons

There is a real culture of fear at the company, and it's constantly felt in ways big and small. As far as I could tell, it was incompetence rather than malevolence that caused it. Everything comes down to Dan Berger. He has good intentions, but seems to be clueless about how his actions affect the day-to-day experience of his employees. Anybody at any level of the company can be publicly called out by him for reasons significant or completely trivial.

"Poor Communication by Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Technology in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Social Tables full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Coworkers - Office location - Snacks

Cons

- Poor communication by leadership - Favoritism in promotions - False promises - Below industry compensation and benefits package

Continue reading

"Run away and don't look back"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers, nice office

Cons

Avoid at all costs. Our CEO is generally intelligent but a poor leader. Compensates for his insecurities by keeping us in the dark and micro-managing everybody, down to sales people fresh out of college. The VPs are lousy and not respected by their teams. The company was recently bought by a larger, much more successful company in the same industry, and there's been tons of miscommunication and broken promises - we were supposed to get raises and promotions delivered by Nov 1 and they weren't, and layoffs weren't supposed to happen but they did. Since we got bought like 10% of employees have left the company and from talking to people another 20% will be gone by end of February, myself included. Oh and our "growth" products are being sunsetted as well so if you want to build something new and interesting, good luck. Truly feel bad for those employees who joined in the past few months and have been thrust into this mess.

Social Tables Response

Founder & CEO

Hi Tabler, I read every Glassdoor review not only because the opinions of every employee -- current or former -- are very important to me but also because it’s an opportunity for me to improve as a leader. In fact, whenever I get an email from Glassdoor alerting me that there’s a new review up, I open it immediately regardless of where I am (and my heart skips a beat as the page loads). The reason I get anxious is because I know the review will probably be difficult to read, like this one. While they often contain valid criticism, many contain stinging critiques, personal attacks, and outright misinformation. As your leader, I am accountable for everything that happens here and I deserve any and all criticism but that reality doesn’t make it any easier. I’m human too so it’s hard to take the emotion out sometimes. As I read the reviews I try to empathize with the reviewer because I recognize that GlassDoor is often a last resort to many colleagues who are frustrated or who feel like they’ve been wronged. To address this “last resort” problem, we have implemented many different avenues for feedback including bi-weekly pulse surveys, anonymous suggestion box, regular 1x1s with managers and/or HR, open calendars, office hours with me, etc. Some of these tools have proven more useful than others. We need to continue to optimize our feedback channels to ensure we are ahead of top-of-mind issues for employees. Please allow me to address each of the messages in this review. “[W]e were supposed to get raises and promotions delivered by Nov 1 and they weren't” Raises and promotions were indeed 3 weeks later than originally planned but they were completed for anyone that was up for them. This was due to the fact that raises/promotions had an HR dependency (figuring out titles in the new org) that had to be resolved first. I regret that it took so long and know there were hiccups along the way but we got this done by Thanksgiving and anyone who got a raise was retroactively paid. This revised timeline was communicated on October 16. “[L]ayoffs weren't supposed to happen but they did.” The two layoffs we anticipated were both were communicated when we announced the acquisition on October 16 and were strictly due to redundancy within a department. Two other people were offered positions within other parts of the organization but declined them. Anyone else who has left has done so on their own accord. “Since we got bought like 10% of employees have left the company and from talking to people another 20% will be gone by end of February, myself included.” In Q4 (this review was written Jan 1), only 7 people have resigned that we did not anticipate, which is 6% of the workforce. That being said we made serious strides in reducing attrition year-over-year. I am indeed concerned of more attrition in 2019 and am aware of folks that are leaving or thinking about leaving. We are working really hard on finding ways to help them change their mind. If you are thinking about leaving, please speak up. It’s not healthy for anyone to be at a place they don’t want to be. We can work with you on making sure you either find the joy you’re after at work or we can ensure your transition is seamless and not negative to you, your team, or the company. “Oh and our ‘growth’ products are being sunsetted as well so if you want to build something new and interesting, good luck.” This is incorrect. No decision has been made about sunsetting any product. We have simply communicated that one product may be merged with another from the acquirer -- but that decision is not set in stone. Additionally, our sales & catering product, which is a much bigger growth product in terms of TAM is being invested in handily. In fact, we are adding 16 net new tech heads in Technology. We are actually investing in R&D more than ever thanks to Cvent.

"Great people led by incompetent exec team"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Cool office with lots of opportunities to socialize with coworkers.

Cons

Leadership does not care about how their decisions impact individual employees. The CEO gets angry and defensive over legitimate questions and concerns that employees have, especially during times of change. Promotions and opportunities are often based off of favoritism and diversity is essentially nonexistent here.

Continue reading

"I Learned An Alternative Way To Pronounce The Word Dan"

I have been working at Social Tables

Pros

Fun company, good attempt to be Googley. CEO actively can't pronounce name

Cons

Pronunciation isn't a strong skillset. No 401k. Health benefits are weak. Small addressable market

"Never Again"

I worked at Social Tables full-time

Pros

free food sometimes, cool office space

Cons

Honestly, one of the worst workplace environments I have ever been in. Completely unprofessional. Management is awful and everyone looks at the CEO as Michael Scott. There is zero diversity and a fake progressive atmosphere.

Social Tables Response

Director of HR

We're sorry to hear this about your experience! The concerns you mention are certainly priorities for us: ensuring leadership practices, team dynamic, and internal processes will support our growing business.

Found 69 reviews