Social Tables Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Oct 3, 2019

3.6
Social Tables CEO Dan Berger
Dan Berger
Pros
  • "The following experiences at Social Tables are memories I will take with me for the rest of my life(in 20 reviews)

• "Weekly Happy Hours, Annual Awards Show, Holiday Party at great locations(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "These are pretty standard cons of any startup, so nothing unique to Social Tables(in 11 reviews)

• "Work life balance is something that can vary(in 6 reviews)

"Post-acquisition thoughts"

Current Employee - Product in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- stable roadmap and processes - more resources and mentorship

Cons

- more focus on our core, less expansion into new products - slightly more process

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep flexibility in the roadmap

Social Tables2019-10-03
  2. "Social Tables is back as one of the top tech companies in DC"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than a year

Pros

- New Head of Engineering joined in December, bringing back strong tech culture - Profitable - Fast pace of development, but with a great work/life balance - Great tech stack with modern tools - Meetups in the office every week - Great coworkers - Office space is amazing - Diverse workforce - Lots of energy - Cool lunch and learns (like today there was one on public speaking) - Monthly all-hands with AMAs... where leadership team talks transparently about things that are going on

Cons

One of our products was killed after the Cvent acquisition. Several people got bummed and left (see comments in another review about poor communication). Fewer happy hours since January

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people

Social Tables2019-10-03

"My Journey at Social Tables"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

I started working for Social Tables in May 2017 as a part-time as a Customer Care Representative right after I completed the Disney College Program in Orlando, FL— so, I had the hospitality training, but I needed to enhance my Tech skills to level up for a full-time position. I had to push myself, work hard, but then I was promoted to full-time on the Customer Care Team on February 8th, 2018 (exactly 1 year ago... today!) Reflecting on my journey today, I can really appreciate how much I’ve grown and learned on both a professional and personal level since my time here. Sure — there were some long and hard days, days that were better than others. But I’ve had great managers/mentors to learn from, fantastic colleagues who support me, I get to oversee our official Instagram account, work out of an amazing office space located in the heart of D.C., and I’ve had so many great opportunities from Social Tables — branching off that, I just received a promotion this week! I am now a Senior Client Success Advisor and I’m thrilled for this next step in my career. My growth here has proven to me that hard work pays off, and does not go unnoticed. We were acquired by Cvent in October of 2018 but our culture has remained the same! It’s been such a great learning experience going through this acquisition too. Throughout this time of constant change, it’s apparent how important our core values and culture matter. This company is truly unlike any other, there is never a dull moment, and everyone has a #WorkHardPlayHard mentality. You can be yourself here and people will embrace your quirks. My experience at Social Tables has been very positive and I’m so excited for my next step!

Cons

N/A - the pros outweigh the cons

Social Tables2019-02-08

"Culture of Fear"

I worked at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, and the most diverse team I've seen at any tech startup in DC. Cutting-edge tech stack, great place to learn.

Cons

There is a real culture of fear at the company, and it's constantly felt in ways big and small. As far as I could tell, it was incompetence rather than malevolence that caused it. Everything comes down to Dan Berger. He has good intentions, but seems to be clueless about how his actions affect the day-to-day experience of his employees. Anybody at any level of the company can be publicly called out by him for... reasons significant or completely trivial.

Social Tables2019-01-24

"Poor Communication by Management"

Former Employee - Technology in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Social Tables full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Coworkers - Office location - Snacks

Cons

- Poor communication by leadership - Favoritism in promotions - False promises - Below industry compensation and benefits package

Advice to Management

Be more straightforward to employees and more clear with the changes that will come with an integration. Be accountable for what you say. For example, there were layoffs within the company after the integration when it was stated their wouldn't be.

Social Tables2018-12-27

"Run away and don't look back"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers, nice office

Cons

Avoid at all costs. Our CEO is generally intelligent but a poor leader. Compensates for his insecurities by keeping us in the dark and micro-managing everybody, down to sales people fresh out of college. The VPs are lousy and not respected by their teams. The company was recently bought by a larger, much more successful company in the same industry, and there's been tons of miscommunication and broken promises - we... were supposed to get raises and promotions delivered by Nov 1 and they weren't, and layoffs weren't supposed to happen but they did. Since we got bought like 10% of employees have left the company and from talking to people another 20% will be gone by end of February, myself included. Oh and our "growth" products are being sunsetted as well so if you want to build something new and interesting, good luck. Truly feel bad for those employees who joined in the past few months and have been thrust into this mess.

Advice to Management

Don't just look out for yourselves, learn introspection

Social Tables2019-01-02

"Great people led by incompetent exec team"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Cool office with lots of opportunities to socialize with coworkers.

Cons

Leadership does not care about how their decisions impact individual employees. The CEO gets angry and defensive over legitimate questions and concerns that employees have, especially during times of change. Promotions and opportunities are often based off of favoritism and diversity is essentially nonexistent here.

Advice to Management

The company's success is not just based on the opinions of a few select execs. Listen to your employees.

Social Tables2018-12-18

"I Learned An Alternative Way To Pronounce The Word Dan"

I have been working at Social Tables

Pros

Fun company, good attempt to be Googley. CEO actively can't pronounce name

Cons

Pronunciation isn't a strong skillset. No 401k. Health benefits are weak. Small addressable market

Social Tables2018-08-22

"Never Again"

I worked at Social Tables full-time

Pros

free food sometimes, cool office space

Cons

Honestly, one of the worst workplace environments I have ever been in. Completely unprofessional. Management is awful and everyone looks at the CEO as Michael Scott. There is zero diversity and a fake progressive atmosphere.

Social Tables2018-07-18

"Eehhh"

Former Employee - SDR in Washington, DC

I worked at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office space. Staff is nice (you most likely have to be outgoing and be the first to create a conversation to make acquaintances )

Cons

- A lot of micromanagement. From management to CEO in most of departments - Not a lot of place for growth

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, give them better recognition, and not by just giving them a monthly frame.

Social Tables2018-06-15