Sophos Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Sophos CEO Kris Hagerman
Kris Hagerman
Pros
Cons
  • "politics in Ahmedabad support office who are since Cyberoam time(in 16 reviews)

• "Culture is not good, senior management is not supportive,(in 13 reviews)

1. "Wonderful workplace"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oxford, England

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

- Good perks - Well paid - friendly staff

Cons

- Expensive area to live in.

Sophos2020-01-13
  2. "Not what it seems"

Former Employee - Sales in Abingdon, England

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues - select FEW of management are good Office space Impressive building

Cons

Bullying environment from some management, use and abuse their position on most things. Not approachable at all, it is their way or the high way. Do not provide constructive feedback or support when needed. No consistency from them or on any processes this always changes like the wind depending on their mood, along with one rule for one and one rule for others. Not sure where the flexible hours and working from home in the last reviews have come from but this is not certainly the case for other staff. Holiday is not an entitlement here, and is always a struggle to have time off when needed, it feels like you are causing them pain taking time off and rules on holiday always changing.

Advice to Management

Needs reviewing, there are a lot of people that are unhappy with management and is not a select few but a majority. Management are abusing their position in more ways than one. Treat and speak to people properly instead of looking down at them, it is awful how people are spoken to.

Sophos2020-01-22
  3. "The best corporate culture I've ever experienced"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I began at the company answering phones in first line technical support (after my own business dried up and I was desperate for work) yet, over the years, Sophos continually invested in me as an individual, nurtured my passion for cybersecurity, and pushed me to grow skills and to do my best work. I've worked across three different departments, and six different roles. At every turn, under every manager, I was given so much support to continue to develop myself and reach my potential. We have access to so many online training platforms, in-house training and development delivered by our own talented employees, and even getting external training approved is never a battle. There are few companies that nurture talent like Sophos and reading some of the negative reviews here, it's clear some people aren't mentally prepped to work at a place like Sophos. Cybersecurity is a complex and fast moving industry - we are up against increasingly capable adversaries (hackers :P) and that means there is never a lull in any part of the business. There is lots to learn, lots to do, and you have to learn to work with your peers and colleagues, across multiple departments, in a positive and productive manner. You need to read between the lines of those negative-nelly reviews and note that if you're a glass half-full person, working in the cybersecurity industry, a constant fight against cybercriminals and everything else that entails, might not be for you. At Sophos, we don't sit around talking about how bad things are, we go out and do everything we can make them better. Pragmatism and positivity are tools you must have if you wish to succeed as you face the dark corners of the internet and the cyberwarfare that never ever ends. Sophos gives you every opportunity to be the best you can - there is always a strong desire within management to fill open job positions with internal/existing employees and they are always open to interviewing people from totally different departments and backgrounds. You can look all the way up the corporate structure and find people who started out in much humbler roles, moving between roles, departments, and even countries. There's a reason people join Sophos and stick around for years. I am one of those people. Open plan offices, no special corner offices, mahogany desks, or chaise longues for the execs - we're all equal at Sophos. We all have the same desks, the same chairs, the same drawers, the same choice of computers and phones. The Abingdon HQ office has cutouts and balconies to allow the people on different floors of the building to see each other - a decision by the founders to ensure that everyone would see their colleagues across different departments and to literally remove the walls (and floors) between them. Starting times are flexible, working from home is flexible, even taking holiday when I want holiday is easy and flexible. I love being treated like and adult and given the freedom to work how I need to, so long as I get my work done. The fact there is no expectation to have to work extra hours, with my managers literally telling me to go home or start late tomorrow is fantastic. It really helps me not loathe my job and actually makes me very thankful for having it (this review is rather evident of that). I feel compensated for the work that I do, and recognised for my contributions across the business. Money is always a tough subject as people will always want to earn more if they can get it. If money is what you're after, there are more lucrative industries to work in. But those of us that work in cybersecurity do it because we love the industry not because we're looking to make banker's salaries. That said, I certainly live a very comfortable life that means money is not a concern and I'm free from the mental stress money causes. All in all, Sophos is the most open, fun, passionate, and exciting place I have ever worked. If you're passionate, eager to learn, and pragmatic in your approach to find a problem, fix a problem, you'll soar at Sophos.

Cons

To repeat myself a bit: cybersecurity is a complex and fast moving industry - we are up against increasingly capable adversaries (hackers :P) and that means there is never a lull in any part of the business. There is lots to learn, lots to do, and you have to learn to work with your peers and colleagues, across multiple departments, in a positive and productive manner. Sophos is an upbeat place to work. That might not be the best environment for some people and I put this in the Cons because it's very clear that some people joined the company, failed to excel, and blame the company for it. I've seen many people join (across my time in three different departments), blame their tools, refuse to acknowledge their knowledge gaps, and not seek guidance and assistance from their peers and leaders. Sophos is full of the smartest people I've ever met (and I'm from Oxford!) and this means you need to be open to learning by osmosis. If you don't, you'll quickly dig yourself into a hole and alienate the people who could help you excel. There are a few negative reviews on this website where it's very clear that the individuals thought very highly of themselves and weren't willing to ask the question "what can Sophos teach me?", instead thinking they already know everything they need to know. Obstinance doesn't get you anywhere at Sophos nor will it get you anywhere in the tech industry. It moves too fast and there is too much for any one person to know.

Advice to Management

Continue nurturing the talent inside the company and continue to note that talent emerges anywhere and everywhere. Don't ever stop the internal training courses delivered by Sophos people for personal development - my time learning from people like Rob and Julie was so immensely useful, opening reflecting on my weaknesses in a safe environment with people who are caring and considerate. Continue to invest heavily in the talented individuals in SophosLabs, daily battling the digital evils of this world, as SophosLabs holds some of brightest minds in the company but also some of the quietest voices.

Sophos2019-11-07
  4. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great vision, great people and products that work, lots of career opportunities for those that put in the time.

Cons

All the things that come with large organizations which is expected

Sophos2019-10-23
  5. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture on the sales floor

Cons

Potentially trying to do too much?

Sophos2019-09-06

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Abingdon, England

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning experience on multiple systems and platforms that helped me in my career. Learned lots of office real politik lessons as well but I expect that is only a pro in retrospect.

Cons

Sophos has two types of employee, those who have been there forever and those who get out before they hit 5 years. I am in the latter for a number of good reasons. Compensation: really pathetic compared other opportunities and every excuse is used to keep you under paid. Others have said they don’t fire people just make it miserable to work for the company and they are correct and one way they do this is find reasons why you don’t deserve to be paid what your peers are. Management: A group whose single purpose seemed to be taking part in games with their staff. Piling on pressure to complete impossible tasks with zero support so when it came to review time they would threaten to put you on a performance review to scare you into working even harder in a high pressure environment until you just cracked and could be discarded. HR: the stereotypical Catberts almost to the point as if they read Dilbert as a guide on how to do their jobs instead of satire. The two reasons you went to HR was to either make your manager dislike you when you complain about their behavior and lack of empathy to personal situations or to be frustrated and be told that they can’t help you and talk to X or call external vendor Y. IT: if I ended up in Hell and had to choose a room to be my torment for all eternity such as in Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey one of those rooms would be working in the IT department at Sophos on their internal enterprise systems. My Manager: they wasn’t a bad person parse but we’re weak, unsupportive and pointed fingers at their staff and not their own inability to push back on office politics that impacted their staff. Allowed members of the team to be isolated and openly ridiculed by other company functions. Overall: this is a typical old school technology company that has been sold and resold to venture capitalists over and over where the bottom line is all that matters and everyone who is not management is a replaceable cog in grinding, soul destroying, Orwellian nightmare that exists to extract maximum profit from mismanagement, intellectual bankruptcy and pure sadism. If you read this and just think that I have an agenda then yes you are right. That agenda is to stop anyone else having to put up with what I did and tell my tale in the same way the Ancient Mariner told his to save others from his fate. The title tells you all you need to know. Heed the warning is my advice.

Advice to Management

Quit and go do something else as clearly people management is not your thing.

Sophos2019-09-03
  7. "Changes afoot but not in a good way"

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great facilities, great people some great products

Cons

Where to start company was going places 12 months ago now focus has shifted from Abingdon to the new centre in Cork. Moving roles from abingdon office to cork is destroying staff moral. Leaving engineers essentially stuck in there roles with no opportunities to progress through the ranks.

Advice to Management

I know you want to grow the buisness, but dont forget where your core of knowledge and tender is. Growth is good undeniably but remember the people who have helped you get to this point now.

Sophos2019-07-22

"Fast paced work in great office space"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Sophos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clear and consistent direction for the company Great office space in the UK

Cons

The pace can be too hard to do things to the best quality Loyalty not rewarded in salary. Long term service employees generally underpaid compared to new blood.

Advice to Management

Pay good, loyal long term employees the same rate as new people coming into the same positions, or at least get close. Listen to engineers more.

Sophos2019-07-03
  9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Sophos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good management team, great staff and team atmosphere

Cons

Pay is lower than competition

Sophos2019-07-03
  10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sophos full-time

Pros

Great people Good working environment No micro management

Cons

Pay not reflective of sector

Sophos2019-06-08