The Plum Guide Reviews

Updated 14 Apr 2020

4.1
The Plum Guide CEO Doron Meyassed (no image)
Doron Meyassed

"A high-growth company that will take you with them on their journey"

Former Employee - Collection Curator in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Transparency — you will learn a lot about start-up life. Whether that is going through fundraising, hitting monthly targets or understanding what the brand wants to be. You are included throughout the companies journey. Key leaders in the company are incredibly transparent and will constantly update you on their progress. 2. The team — a bunch of intelligent and driven leaders. 3. Responsibility — you will be accountable for key objectives. 4. Openness — your opinion is sought after and listened to

Cons

1. A startup so you have to make of it what you want. The frameworks aren't necessarily there to support you but if you seek help it will be there. Be open about what you want to acheive and they will help you.

March 27, 2020Talent Coordinator

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us your thoughts, we really appreciate all the feedback we receive. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found you were educated on the many aspects of start-up life. We believe we have an exceptional team behind us and pride ourselves on supporting and developing our talented employees. Thank you for your contribution towards Plum’s success and we wish you all the best.

"Friendly environment, intense workload, no development"

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at The Plum Guide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many smart and friendly people who are happy to give each other advice. The company is very open about its sales numbers and strategy for growth. It's interesting to experience a company in transition from a small start-up to a larger, professionalised company. Many processes were streamlined and made more structured, which was interesting to be a part of. My role (pitching and onboarding new hosts) was largely enjoyable, and probably the most fun host/guest-facing role at the company. There are high targets and you are working very intensely quarter to quarter; Sometimes it is very stressful, although it is exciting if you're motivated by smashing sales targets etc. Relaxed work style as you can go and sit anywhere, and chat with others in the office. The CEO is very present and a genuinely nice guy. There is a weekly Friday meeting which he opens and where all departments update the company on the past week with drinks. Free breakfast, snacks, fruit, coffee, toastie Thursdays, drinks on Fridays. Cool office in the amazing Shoreditch location.

Cons

The role it was a little repetitive and there was no opportunity for professional development or internal career growth. After a few months there I realised although it was enjoyable I was using these vital early years of my career without learning anything new. The company exists to grow as quickly as possible, hiring smart and ambitious people to get there, but with no focus on keeping these employees engaged or challenged, or indicating how they can develop within the company. To illustrate this point, instead of promoting people, they only brought in star hires with impressive CVs. This is an understandable strategy to make the company into one that competes with the biggest in the industry, but it's a bit insulting when these people clearly have huge salaries, and lower-level employees aren't even rewarded for their hard work with a raise, let alone a promotion. These senior management figures are good businesspeople but not necessarily good people managers, so there is a bit of a detachment between them and everyone else. The fact that the company does not have a presence of human resources is also unforgivable, since many colleagues had problems, particularly in Matchmaking and Customer Service teams, where the workload is enormous and unstructured. As such, staff turnover in these two departments is incredibly high. Some people in Marketplace (where I was) had issues with their managers, so a human resources department would make people much more comfortable. The Tech and Brand Marketing teams seemed quite happy and stable, and the Marketplace team was generally happy but frustrated by the lack of internal opportunities. The hours are from 9 to 6, but staff are encouraged to stay late and do things on the weekends too, despite the fact that the pay is not very good.

Continue reading

"A brilliant fast growing and motivating company"

I have been working at The Plum Guide full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is friendly and motivating - there are a lot of talented people and everyone of them contributes to the success the company is having. Working in sales can be tough and stressing given the high targets, but the great people you work with make it easier and enjoyable. If you work hard and you're committed, management does recognise this and gives you all the tools you need to grow and develop within the company.

Cons

Plum Guide is constantly trying to growth and find the most suitable processes but that sometimes means a lot of things to keep track of and adapt to, and a constantly changing stream of work. I personally enjoy this but I'm aware it's not for everyone.

March 16, 2020Head of Operations

Hi There, Thank you for your honest review regarding your Plum journey so far, we’re so happy to hear you find the Plum environment friendly & motivating. We understand that working for a high growth start-up can come with its challenges and appreciate all the hard work and commitment our employees continually provide us throughout this Plum journey. Your advice to management is something we are currently working on and hope you will see being implemented soon. Thanks again for providing thoughts on your experience with us so far and we’re extremely happy to have you as part of the Plum family.

"it's all just smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very nice office in a great location. Most of the people working there are really nice. Free breakfast, coffee and tea every day + drinks on Fridays.

Cons

This will really depend on which service you will be part of. Most of the pressure will be on the Sales team and they will also have the worst conditions. Customer care and sales are the only services working 365 so be prepared to resolve other departments problems. During weekends and bank holidays (including Christmas day) you will feel as the only one taking care of the company and the rest of your colleagues and managers don’t realise how hard it is. Overall you don’t feel rewarded as figures are never enough and the commission structure is very very poor compared with your sales targets. There is a real problem with GDPR against confidential data of their own employees. They don’t have an HR department. Poor communication with your managers, if they don’t like your request or it’s delicate to handle they’ll simply ignore it. They can change their minds every day and doing the opposite of what you have done the day before. No real control on the figures, you can easily cheat on the CRM. The workload it’s insane just because they don’t want to filter by “quality”, they will answer to every single request and if you need 12 hours no-stop to finish (if you ever will), it’s not their problem = zero work-life balance and serious danger of mental issues (burnout). The company wants to grow exponentially and “wants it all and now”, but they just don’t have the right tools or enough resources.

March 27, 2020Talent Coordinator

Hello there and thank you for taking a moment to leave us your thoughts. We believe our talented employees have made Plum the success it is today and so are pleased to hear our great team is an element you feel positively about. We recently moved to a new CRM system and implemented HR processes to ensure all our employees have the opportunity to be heard. We also offer a free 24-hour counselling service alongside support from the Talent Team. We’re disappointed to read your comments regarding work-life balance, we consider our culture and managers to be supportive, empowering and mindful of our employee’s wellbeing. As a start-up we’re fast-paced and acknowledge that there are always areas in which we can improve, feedback is essential for us to do this. Thank you again for your review and we wish you all the best.

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of enthusiasm. You will be surrounded by friendly and ambitious people who work hard and do their best given the circumstances.

Cons

No transparency whatsoever. Late night, weekend, and public holiday work is required but not advertised at the interview stage. Contracts are not consistent among employees in the same role. Processes are constantly changing without warning and training is minimal. Decisions are made without being announced to the relevant teams. The company makes a show of asking for employee input but it is never put into practice. Immature, cultish management who obsess over call numbers and bathroom breaks, intimidate and threaten staff, dismiss concerns, and provide no support or actionable feedback to help employees improve.

March 16, 2020Head of Operations

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts. We’re pleased to hear our enthusiastic culture is an element you enjoyed when being a part of Plum; we pride ourselves on creating a supportive environment that reflects our ambitions. While we do not agree with a lot of your comments, we are sorry that your time at Plum was not all positive and take your feedback seriously. As with all startups, we’re fast-paced and admittedly processes do have to change as we continue to grow; our senior management works hard to convey these changes at our weekly company meeting. Thanks again for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck for the future.

"Plum Guide: Harassment Normalized"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for less than a year

Pros

free alcohol on Fridays, great location in Shoreditch, fun young employees.

Cons

Among the myriad of unreasonable interactions with every manager (including getting berated for using the toilet), I was fired the day after making a £20,000 sale. I was encouraged to skip class, ignore my own health, work full time for part time pay and even after abiding by their unreasonable requests they had the indecency to treat me like a second class citizen. If you enjoy feeling like a human with rights I would highly suggest considering working anywhere but this seething pit of incompetency and abuse.

March 16, 2020Head of Operations

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re disappointed to read your thoughts on your experience with us; we consider our culture to be one of empowering our employees to be mindful of their well being and work autonomously, therefore, are saddened to read your comments. We take all feedback seriously, ensuring that the relevant people in the business are aware; gaining feedback is important for us to continue to grow and improve as a startup. Thank you again for your review and wishing you all the best.

"Fantastic company and an inspiring team"

Former Employee - Expansion in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you're an ambitious hard-worker, you'll thrive at Plum. There are opportunities for everyone to gain experience and grow in responsibility - Transparency - everyone is kept informed of company updates and progress, and curiosity is encouraged! - You work with a team of inspiring colleagues every day in an unhierarchical environment

Cons

- Be prepared to put the work in - Plum isn't for those who are looking to just check in and check out!

February 6, 2020Talent Coordinator

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate it. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We understand that working with Plum can be demanding and challenging at times, so we’re delighted to hear you found the company inspiring and full of opportunities. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us this constructive feedback. It’s really important for us as a growing company to understand what we're doing well and what areas we can improve upon. Wishing you all the best, The Plum Guide Talent Team

"Enough to put you off start-ups for life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free toasties Location near Old Street Lots of plants around the office

Cons

A lack of transparency: job roles wildly mis-sold, salaries not dependent on experience (and often different for people within the same role), terrible shift patterns only revealed after job offer is made A culture of intimidation: veiled threats of dismissal used to "motivate" employees, vilification of people who express their concerns, ritual humiliation in company meetings Favouritism and nepotism: people awarded roles based on who they know in the company, rather than performance School-like atmosphere: excessively enforced seating plans, "forfeits" for people who don't reach KPIs, degrading role plays Questionable business practices: sales staff worked to the bone, performance measured on number of cold calls made, new joiners trained using hours of video, contracts not amended when changing departments People promoted into management positions with no formal training No HR department

February 25, 2020Head of Operations

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As a growing company feedback is extremely important for us to hear and assess with the right people in the business. We take all feedback seriously and your comments will be reviewed within the management team. We’re sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with Plum. We understand that working with us can be challenging and the startup environment certainly isn’t for everyone. As of Q4 2019 we have new recruitment processes set in place to to explain each role clearly to candidates and ensure complete transparency. We do use videos for reference as part of our training, along with 1-1s, shadowing, group training, role plays and strategic analysis - all of which we have received positive feedback for. While we don’t agree with all your comments and do not recognise your review as a true reflection of Plum, we acknowledge that there are always areas in which we can improve and this is something we will strive to do. We wish you all the best for the future. The Plum Guide Talent Team

"Fantastic company, great management"

Former Employee - Home Nominations Team in London, England

I worked at The Plum Guide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely loved my time at Plum, I was only there for a short term contract and left due to personal reasons. I'd definitely look to return if the situation was right. Good management team with a CEO who is hands on and passionate about the company and seems to genuinely believe in everyone employed by Plum. Fun dynamic work environment.

Cons

As with all start ups there were some teething pains, notably: - processes in place simply because managers thought they were necessary, not because they worked (e.g. morning stand up meetings) - not enough structure around progression or mobility in the company

January 14, 2020Head of Operations

Good Afternoon, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we really appreciate it! We're so glad you enjoyed working with Plum and you left feeling positive about the company. Your comments regarding management processes and progressions structures are really useful and we ensure the feedback we receive is reviewed with the right people in the business. Thanks again and wishing you all the best, The Plum Guide Talent Team

"A company that pushes you to reach your full potential"

Current Employee - City Sales Team Manager in London, England

I have been working at The Plum Guide full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is made up of hardworking teams who always seem to have time to help, even though that might not always be the case! You are given the opportunity to progress quickly. Roles can be created & evolved to match skill-sets and what the company needs at the time The company is transparent and there is no sense of hierarchy - weekly company-wide meetings allow you to understand what other teams are working on

Cons

As is common when working at any start-up, each employee is pushed to capacity There are not always 'processes' in place which again is common with a start-up so there can be a degree of trial and error before things can be finalised.

November 19, 2019Talent Coordinator

Hi There,Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Plum so far, we really do appreciate your honest feedback. We continue to strive to be the best for our employees, to develop our culture so we can provide an amazing experience for those working with us. It is a priority for us to retain the exceptional talent we have within the business by showing our ambition, passion and drive in everything we do and we are so happy you are on this journey with us.Many Thanks,The Plum Guide Talent Team.

Found 23 reviews