The Plum Guide Reviews

Updated 15 Jun 2021

Found 29 of over 38 reviews

4.3
The Plum Guide CEO Doron Meyassed (no image)
Doron Meyassed
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work

10 Jun 2021 - Business Development Associate in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable salaries and cool office, + talented people to meet

Cons

The usual for young companies

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

22 Apr 2021 - Brand
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people, great mission and vision

Cons

I don't have any cons

3. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly, quick-paced place of work

16 Feb 2021 - Localisation Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I only worked a couple of months for Plum Guide before the start of the pandemic but I was able to see a few pros: - Friendly and helpful colleagues across all departments - Management: I had regular one to ones to feedback and my manager was always available if I needed to. At the same time, I was able to work independently and take initiatives - Clear KPIs objectives - Regular Friday Wraps to get the bigger picture - Good work-life balance - Good opportunities for socials - Nice office very close to Old Street station

Cons

No real cons: you have to be ready to work for a start up (though it is better organised and structured than your average start up) and to take initiatives

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work but changed

15 Apr 2021 - Operations in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Full of intelligent people who want to do more Good community spirit Fast-paced and rewarding at times

Cons

Changed too much to a point there's no culture Male and growth centric Can become too much

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

An Unbeatable Opportunity

13 Jun 2019 - City Launcher in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was fortunate enough to join The Plum Guide as its first employee shortly after it launched. 3 and a half years on and I still count joining Plum as one of the luckiest moments of my life. When I started, there were 6 of us huddled around 2 desks. We had a collection of 30 homes in 1 city and I was working just above intern level. Now we’re closing on 100 people, have thousands of homes across 6 cities and I’m managing a team of 9 (This last point is not a reflection of my skills by the way, but rather of the unparalleled level of opportunity you get here) If you want to learn quickly and gain new skills, this is an unbeatable environment. The company is growing so quickly that you will develop at a pace that is just not on offer elsewhere. Everyone here is super switched on and motivated and they push you to keep performing at a high level. Best of all, no one here has an ego. Everyone is a truly nice person and they all care about each other. There is an open culture where people share their ideas and everyone learns together. It is a super exciting and fast paced environment that I would recommend to anyone who is up for the challenge.

Cons

This level of growth doesn’t happen by chance - it takes a superhuman effort from everyone involved. Being a startup, the hours sometimes aren’t standard, and it is often an intense environment. It is part of what makes it so rewarding, but it is something to consider if you are looking for a 9-5.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to review your time at The Plum Guide. We truly appreciate how thorough and honest you have been in your feedback. We’re continuing to strive to be the best, not only for guests but for the People of Plum! We’re constantly exploring new ways to develop our culture and work ethic so that we, as a Talent team, can provide a ‘Michelin’ experience for those working at The Plum Guide. It is a priority for us to show our ambition, passion and drive in everything we do to ensure we’re retaining the exceptional talent within the business. We love having you as part of our Plum journey! Many Thanks, The Plum Guide Talent Team.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A brilliant fast growing and motivating company

2 Mar 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is friendly and motivating - there are a lot of talented people and everyone of them contributes to the success the company is having. Working in sales can be tough and stressing given the high targets, but the great people you work with make it easier and enjoyable. If you work hard and you're committed, management does recognise this and gives you all the tools you need to grow and develop within the company.

Cons

Plum Guide is constantly trying to growth and find the most suitable processes but that sometimes means a lot of things to keep track of and adapt to, and a constantly changing stream of work. I personally enjoy this but I'm aware it's not for everyone.

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Operations

Hi There, Thank you for your honest review regarding your Plum journey so far, we’re so happy to hear you find the Plum environment friendly & motivating. We understand that working for a high growth start-up can come with its challenges and appreciate all the hard work and commitment our employees continually provide us throughout this Plum journey. Your advice to management is something we are currently working on and hope you will see being implemented soon. Thanks again for providing thoughts on your experience with us so far and we’re extremely happy to have you as part of the Plum family.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Data Scientist at Plum Guide

29 Sep 2020 - Data Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

- - - - -

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A high-growth company that will take you with them on their journey

11 Mar 2020 - Collection Curator in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Transparency — you will learn a lot about start-up life. Whether that is going through fundraising, hitting monthly targets or understanding what the brand wants to be. You are included throughout the companies journey. Key leaders in the company are incredibly transparent and will constantly update you on their progress. 2. The team — a bunch of intelligent and driven leaders. 3. Responsibility — you will be accountable for key objectives. 4. Openness — your opinion is sought after and listened to

Cons

1. A startup so you have to make of it what you want. The frameworks aren't necessarily there to support you but if you seek help it will be there. Be open about what you want to acheive and they will help you.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us your thoughts, we really appreciate all the feedback we receive. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found you were educated on the many aspects of start-up life. We believe we have an exceptional team behind us and pride ourselves on supporting and developing our talented employees. Thank you for your contribution towards Plum’s success and we wish you all the best.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Friendly environment, intense workload, no development

14 Apr 2020 - Business Development in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many smart and friendly people who are happy to give each other advice. The company is very open about its sales numbers and strategy for growth. It's interesting to experience a company in transition from a small start-up to a larger, professionalised company. Many processes were streamlined and made more structured, which was interesting to be a part of. My role (pitching and onboarding new hosts) was largely enjoyable, and probably the most fun host/guest-facing role at the company. There are high targets and you are working very intensely quarter to quarter; Sometimes it is very stressful, although it is exciting if you're motivated by smashing sales targets etc. Relaxed work style as you can go and sit anywhere, and chat with others in the office. The CEO is very present and a genuinely nice guy. There is a weekly Friday meeting which he opens and where all departments update the company on the past week with drinks. Free breakfast, snacks, fruit, coffee, toastie Thursdays, drinks on Fridays. Cool office in the amazing Shoreditch location.

Cons

The role it was a little repetitive and there was no opportunity for professional development or internal career growth. After a few months there I realised although it was enjoyable I was using these vital early years of my career without learning anything new. The company exists to grow as quickly as possible, hiring smart and ambitious people to get there, but with no focus on keeping these employees engaged or challenged, or indicating how they can develop within the company. To illustrate this point, instead of promoting people, they only brought in star hires with impressive CVs. This is an understandable strategy to make the company into one that competes with the biggest in the industry, but it's a bit insulting when these people clearly have huge salaries, and lower-level employees aren't even rewarded for their hard work with a raise, let alone a promotion. These senior management figures are good businesspeople but not necessarily good people managers, so there is a bit of a detachment between them and everyone else. The fact that the company does not have a presence of human resources is also unforgivable, since many colleagues had problems, particularly in Matchmaking and Customer Service teams, where the workload is enormous and unstructured. As such, staff turnover in these two departments is incredibly high. Some people in Marketplace (where I was) had issues with their managers, so a human resources department would make people much more comfortable. The Tech and Brand Marketing teams seemed quite happy and stable, and the Marketplace team was generally happy but frustrated by the lack of internal opportunities. The hours are from 9 to 6, but staff are encouraged to stay late and do things on the weekends too, despite the fact that the pay is not very good.

18 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A caring, ambitious family culture

31 May 2019 - Product Director in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Plum is crazy ambitious as an organisation; we all work to very tough targets and are pushed to achieve exceptional things on a daily basis. Two things complement this well; we're given the freedom and autonomy to run free in the right direction, and, as long as we learn, regular failure is encouraged. The result is an energetic blood running through the company, and a perennial sense of momentum. I've learnt to much more rounded and commercial product leader since joining Plum, and believe that I can keep the learning curve steep here. 2. Doron, the CEO. He's charismatic, empathetic, down-to-earth and inspiring to work with. 3. I come into work with a smile on my face. The people at Plum are, without exception, smart, ambitious, collaborative, fun and low ego. There's no-one at Plum that I don't enjoy the opportunity to work with, and that's something I've not experienced anywhere else.

Cons

A growth stage startup isn't for everyone.

2 people found this review helpful