VCNY Home Reviews

Updated 30 Apr 2020

2.5
VCNY Home President Toby Cohen (no image)
Toby Cohen

"NO Happiness Found"

Former Employee - Sales in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at VCNY Home full-time

Pros

Everyone is in the same boat.

Cons

It is a toxic workplace where no one is happy. You just have to chase deadlines all the time. It will eventually make you think why do you work in such a toxic environment where you are not appreciated as a person or an employee.

VCNY Home2020-05-01

May 12, 2020VCNY Home

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry to hear that VCNY Home wasn’t the right fit for you. Our fast-paced and deadline-driven environment has helped us become a leader in the home textiles industry and many of our employees enjoy the challenge of bringing products from vision boards to store shelves quickly and efficiently.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at VCNY Home full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are nice for the most part

Cons

I have never felt the need get on glassdoor for a review but this company has such a toxic work environment I need to share my experience if it will help others in their decision process. There is zero organization and people are always running around like interns doing everything last minute...there is a ton of office politics and favoritism...There is a continued revolving door with this company and they are not willing to work on that internally . If you're looking for a positive work environment and feel happy/fulfilled this is not the place for you.

VCNY Home2020-02-26

February 27, 2020VCNY Home

We’re sorry to hear VCNY Home wasn’t the right place for you. The nature of our business often requires employees to quickly adapt to meet deadlines and shifting strategies. It’s an industry that is constantly evolving and we understand that a fast-paced environment isn’t for everyone.

"Work environment lacks enthusiasm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NY

I worked at VCNY Home part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is very average at least. Many co-workers are friendly too.

Cons

The workplace is dull, and the work environment lacks enthusiasm. It feels like everyone who works here is bored and just wants the day to end. The only source of positive energy here is from co-workers who you befriend. I can't say I'm proud of working here when I eventually leave.

VCNY Home2020-02-19

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you sensed the friendly and supportive community we’ve worked hard to create here at VCNY Home. Related to your comments on employee enthusiasm, we continue to encourage our employees to think creatively and pursue projects that excite them. We value innovation and the entrepreneurial spirit – and seek employees who share these values. And although each department has different daily workflows, we are a little surprised to hear our workplace described as dull. Many employees would describe our office as a fast-paced work environment where employees are challenged to be nimble in an industry that is always evolving. That said, we understand that VCNY Home wasn’t the right fit for you and appreciate your feedback.

"Dull"

I have been working at VCNY Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't think there's any.

Cons

Working here has been a very uninteresting experience. The work atmosphere is dull, and the company culture is lackluster. There are times when employees have to work very long hours and bear with a very boring life in the workplace.

VCNY Home2020-01-26

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

We believe most employees wouldn’t describe our work environment as dull or uninteresting. On the contrary, change is constant in our business and we are always challenging our employees to be creative and flexible in our fast-paced work environment. We work hard, but we also take pride in helping our employees enjoy a healthy work-life balance, with flexible work hours that allow you to select the time frame that works best for your needs. We are continuously looking for opportunities to improve and grow—and encourage our employees to do the same. If you are unhappy with your current position and workload, we encourage you to reach out to your manager and HR to have a conversation about new projects or ideas you would like to explore. We want you to feel empowered to take your career—and our company—to new heights.

5. "Not bad"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in North Bergen, NJ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at VCNY Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

environment is casual but professional

Cons

people don't interact as much

VCNY Home2019-12-04

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

Thanks for your feedback. As a family-run company, we’ve worked hard to create an inviting office environment that has a friendly, family feel, and not your typical corporate office. We strongly encourage our employees to interact – collaboration is key to our business. In addition, our HR and marketing teams are working closely to plan fun, team-bonding activities around the office – including our recent holiday cookie contests, Valentine’s Day party, and more events to come!

"Trust your employees to do their job"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at VCNY Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good if you're a junior or senior in college trying to get some work experience.

Cons

Management positions are filled with unprofessional people that let themselves be led by pride rather than work ethics. Lack of communication and structure-had difficulties with pay rate and pay raises. Extreme micromanagement and cameras everywhere, I feel like a child who is not trusted to do their job. This place was completely soul sucking and the entire team is a complete downer to be around.

VCNY Home2019-12-21

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at VCNY Home. The nature of our business requires our teams to move quickly, and communication from department to department is something we are continuously working to improve. VCNY Home offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package, which includes medical, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance and flex spending accounts. We believe in promoting and providing financial raises and rewards based on merit and have an open-door policy on development and growth on an ongoing basis. Regarding your comments on micromanagement, our owners have built an industry-leading company and as with all companies, owners and executives set the final direction, along with the appropriate policies that are right for the organization. That said, we also empower our employees to think creatively and autonomously pursue new opportunities – whether it involves brainstorming innovative product lines or coming up with ways to improve business processes. Once again, thank you for your feedback and best of luck on your future endeavors.

"Overworked and Underpaid"

I have been working at VCNY Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

No pros. I used to think I enjoy working here for a time, but now, I just wanted out.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. This company is the epitome of it. You go to work at 9am and get off at 9pm. Managers are very abusive of their power and use fear to make you work more than you should. They would threaten you with your job if you don't complete what they asked you to do within the day. The worst thing aside from being threatened with losing your job, is the pay that is too low and not worth all of these.

VCNY Home2019-11-07

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

While there are some periods throughout the year when employees may need to work longer hours (the month leading up to New York Home Fashions Market Week, for example), such long workdays are certainly not typical here at VCNY Home. In fact, many of our employees appreciate our work-life balance, which includes flexible work hours that allow you to select the time frame that works best for your needs. While we believe in accountability and challenging our employees, we never want anyone to feel threatened. Both our management and HR team have open-door policies, so we strongly encourage you to reach out directly.

"One of the companies to avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at VCNY Home full-time for less than a year

Pros

We get to leave early on Fridays

Cons

The pay is too low, and pay raises are an impossibility. It's no wonder why people keep leaving this company. Everyone is underpaid, and the job itself isn't even that fulfilling. There's also no support from HR, which means they're practically useless.

VCNY Home2019-10-17

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

Thank you for your feedback. VCNY Home offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, and flex spending accounts. We believe in promoting and providing financial raises and rewards based on merit and have an open-door policy on development and growth on an ongoing basis. We’re sorry you felt your experience at VCNY Home wasn’t a positive one and wish you the best of luck.

"Mixed bag, not much growth potenital"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at VCNY Home full-time

Pros

Small company with entrepreneurial environment

Cons

Lacks structure, strategy; disorganized management, revolving door of associates

VCNY Home2019-05-30

February 26, 2020vp of marketing

Thanks for your review. We’ve glad to hear you enjoyed the rewarding, entrepreneurial environment we’ve worked hard to create here at VCNY Home. Change is constant in our business and our employees are often challenged to be nimble and face shifting strategies – it’s what helps VCNY Home remain an industry leader. That said, we recognize that organization and communication from department to department is something we continue to work on for improvement.

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS! HORRRRIIIBLEE! BEWARE!!!"

I have been working at VCNY Home full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

minimum 5 words - none.

Cons

The managers here are extremely UNETHICAL, unprofessional and unorganized. The company lacks integrity and is very poorly managed. Leadership is busy covering things and practicing abuse towards their already toxic culture and constantly micromanages their employees to a point that it is illegal or harassment. Immense lack of trust, and RACIST leadership even though they call themselves "diverse" (its a power game here). They have no plan in terms of long term goals and turnover is VERY high as they constantly use power abuse mechanisms. They are clearly insecure.

VCNY Home2019-06-04