VIPX Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bishops Stortford, England

I have been working at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great course material. Helpful admin team. Ongoing support

Cons

None that i can think of

December 12, 2019Project Manager

It’s wonderful to hear you’ve had such a positive experience with us! We hope you continue to enjoy your time at VIPX.

2. "Dreadful they dont pay what they owe you"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Teacher in London, England

I have been working at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

Admin answer questions but are confused as to what they are doing.

Cons

Sneaky, dont pay correctly and you can NEVER have time off without being fined heavily and it will be held against you forever, expose teachers to so much problem situations, but never help and then blame the teacher. pay never matches what you made. the classroom is constantly faulty and they will blame YOU and deduct your pay for it. every time.

Continue reading

"Unless you're very desperate don't join this company."

Former Employee - Online English Teacher

I worked at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

The trainers are nice people.

Cons

They make buy stuff which is clearly for them to make a profit; shirts and background priced at >$50. Oh at least they might pay you that back. They are the only company (out of currently 5 companies) with Chinese students to moan about a map. They make you go through a lot of induction courses and do a demo, to then show you a schedule which is rubbish in weekdays, where they offer you 3 classes a day at $13/class. Where the induction tells you 6 classes a day on weekdays. Apparently the top management in the parent company TAL has been involved in some serious fraudulent activity.

September 15, 2020Project Manager

We are disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your overall experience at VIPX. To address your concerns about the schedule, it is our intention to be upfront about the type of timetable you can make for yourself, which is why we show you our booking options during the interview. While we can’t guarantee how quickly your availabilities will fill, we have several high-registration periods throughout the year. Therefore, the longer you stay with the company, the more regular students you will gain over time. We would also like to clarify some confusion about the shirts and background: VIPX makes no profit from either of these, both because they are produced by a third-party and because we reimburse all teachers for their purchase. As per the circumstances of TAL’s presence in the news, we look forward to the resolution of the situation, and will continue to do our utmost to uphold our own internal VIPX standards in the meantime. We’re very glad that at the least, you were happy with your experience of the trainers at our company. Thank you for your review and best of luck in your future endeavors!

"Really bad company"

Former Employee - Therapist in London, England

I worked at VIPX part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You form meaningful contacts with your students.

Cons

Very controlling, limiting growth opportunities. The program always has technical difficulties. It has really bad pay. The classes are really draining to teach. The material is so dull and uninteresting, They repeat the same course ware over and over and it is a really low standard. The department in charge of you don't care about your welfare at all. There is no appreciation. They just want you to be their teaching robot and there is nothing to be gained other than some measly wages. There are zero benefits. You can't even take a day off when you choose. You have to wear an ugly purple t-shirt that says "I love Vipx" even if you don't love them.

April 8, 2019Training Supervisor

We apologize for the negative experience you've had with us. We understand that this type of job can be very demanding and requires a level of emotional investment that many find draining. It is with regret that we acknowledge the occasional technical troubles our teaching software encounters, but as an in-house product, we greatly value feedback like yours to help polish its performance in our continuous updates. Feedback is something we value greatly, and we are sorry to hear you did not feel your input or teaching contribution was appreciated. We have already taken strides to improve the standard of our courseware based on suggestions from teachers, students, and parents. Many opportunities for professional growth have also become available in the past year with our company expansion, although the high calibre of candidates often make applications competitive (an unfortunate fact, but one that also inspires us as it reflects positively on the quality of you, our teaching team). To address your final concerns, we are proud to confirm that our teaching pay is among the higher teaching rates in the online ESL industry. As for time off, we function on a semester-long schedule much like brick and mortar schools, it does mean that leave requests must be made at appropriate times according to our yearly calendar. We are sorry that you did not have a more rewarding time with us, and we hope you have better luck finding a career that is more suited to your needs.

5. "Disorganized, but pays the bills"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

I took on this job just as a way to make some side income but I ended up really enjoying teaching here. The kids are great and even though it was way earlier than I'd liek to get up it was a pretty nice way to start the day. It was also cool talking to other teachers in the staffrooms (digital forum style). I didn't expect much especially after reading some negative reviews here but it gave me what I needed and I never had any major problems in my year of working here. Some teachers seemed to get involved with drama but if you just clock in and clock out each day you'll be fine. Pay always on time.

Cons

Management seems to be super disorganized. Lots of changes all the time with not a lot of notice. If you're adaptable it's fine but I can see how a lot of teachers would get upset and it did get pretty annoying sometimes. Teaching platform is full of bugs. Admin can be a bit hard to talk to because of language barriers. They also tend to default to it being the teacher's fault if there are problems in the class (even if it's the student's internet) which is probably the biggest thing I disliked about VIPX. But I took my own speedtests, kept admin posted about trying every solution on my end, etc. and it was always fine in the end. I ended up leaving because I found better income and there didnt seem to be any chance for growth here (position orsalary).

October 14, 2020Project Manager

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at VIPX! To address your concerns about organization, we are always striving to improve our means of communication and the experience of our teachers. On occasion (and with noted irony), implementing the changes that this requires has the opposite effect as teachers need to adjust to the latest updates. That said, we are working towards a structured system for developments with more advanced notice. It is also our aim to refine the UX of our teaching platform. If you would like to submit suggestions for doing so or to list software bugs you encountered, please send them to support@vipx.com. Thank you for your time at VIPX and for your review! We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

6. "Established Process"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at VIPX part-time

Pros

Timely responses in setting up interview

Cons

Hard to get time off

September 29, 2020Project Manager

We’re glad to hear that you’re satisfied with our response time! For time off, VIPX is currently reviewing ways to improve support for teachers in this area. Thank you for your review!

"They WILL steal your last paycheck in part or in full, 100% of the time! Termination, ZERO NOTICE"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at VIPX part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a good teacher, you will be fully booked.

Cons

Young, arrogant administrators terminate teachers for misunderstandings. Administrators have the ability to terminate without written or verbal notice given. One can work here for months to years and still experience the same harsh and illegal treatment with zero reprimand. They are thieves. I can not type this more sanely and honestly than this.

September 8, 2020Project Manager

We regret that your end at VIPX was on a less than positive note. It is never easy to come to the decision to terminate one of our teachers, and it is done only when there have been no signs of improvement concerning the problems we bring to that teacher’s attention. To ensure communication remains transparent and professional, we provide a handbook describing our warning system at the end of new teacher training. Final decisions about termination are only made once senior management has reviewed the situation on a case-to-case basis. The amount of notice given to a teacher is dependent on the reason, but only the most severe infractions result in immediate termination (i.e., inappropriate behavior in the classroom, prolonged absence without notice, or verbal abuse towards clients, staff, or other teachers within VIPX). We would also like to clarify that teachers are always compensated at their usual teaching rate for all successfully delivered classes up until termination. Thank you for your review, and best of luck with your future endeavours.

"Decent job, flexible hours."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Preset curriculum that is easy to follow. -Compensation for meetings/training etc. -Make accommodations as schedules change.

Cons

-Transferring money from China, depending on your bank, can be costly so you can lose some money. -Only 2 days off per semester, so it was stressful trying to make sure nothing goes wrong. -The app for teaching always had lots of issues and we were constantly updating and reinstalling it so that it works. And it worked terribly on Macbooks.

August 27, 2019Project Manager

We’re glad to know that you worked well with the curriculum! It is our aim to provide adequate guidance and support for our teachers so that they can offer the same for their students. Because class schedules are set per semester, we understand that the limited time off can be stressful. As such, if ever a teacher is dissatisfied with their chosen schedule, we offer a flexibility window during which it is possible to change availability before the start of the next semester. We also acknowledge that transferring money from China can be expensive, which is why we transfer all payments through our Florida-based office. Americans enjoy deposits free of charge, and citizens of other countries receive their salaries with reduced processing fees. If the fees seem unusually high, however, we recommend contacting your banking institution to review their exchange rate policies for international money transfers. Finally, we regret the technical glitches of our in-house teaching platform; our Mac-friendly version is a recent addition to the company, and as such still requires a healthy dose of polish to its programming. We thank you very much for your time at VIPX as well as for your review. Best of luck in your future endeavours!

"Waste of your time"

I worked at VIPX part-time

Pros

Can't think of any, seriously none.

Cons

Recruiters are salesmen chasing sigh up bonuses , nothing they said in the interview turned out to be true, misleading and scammers. Booking rate is the lowest I've ever experienced at any online company , you will be required to do two demos and about 4-5 hours of training(unpaid), only to be left hanging. (0 percent booking rate that they mention in almost every add is the furthest thing from the truth, do not believe this. There are better opportunities at other companies.

September 13, 2019Project Manager

We’re sorry to hear that you had a disappointing start with us at VIPX, so much so that you were unable to continue working. The online teaching industry is currently in a state of economic flux, and one of the unfortunate outcomes of that is the unpredictability of market demands. Ensuring teachers have enough students is our priority; when we begin our recruitment process, it is always because we have evidence to support high booking rates. We apologize that the availability of students did not match expectations. Low enrollment periods do not last for long, however, and the benefit of teachers joining us at one such time is that they are among the first to enjoy new sign-up opportunities. That said, we recognize that not all teachers are in a financial position to wait for these periods to end and respect your decision to seek employment elsewhere. The recruitment team has noted your concerns about the information provided during interviews, and all of us at VIPX will strive to improve communication in the future. We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

"Excellent Job for flexible work arrangement as a stay at home mom."

5.0
    Current Employee - Teacher Grades 4-8 in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at VIPX part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support for technical issues. Clear paystubs and tracking data for your classes.

Cons

Difficult to travel because taking time off is not encouraged. An ESL certificate is now required to teach.

July 17, 2019Project Manager

We are happy to hear that VIPX offers you a comfortable life-work balance! It is a pleasure to create opportunities for stay-at-home-moms and other professionals for whom remote work is more convenient. Although it is difficult to take time off due to set semesters, we do encourage travel! As long as a stable internet connection is maintained and the VIPX poster is displayed for teaching, the location can be flexible. We’re glad to know that our support, classroom information, and pay slips have all been clear and helpful. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to continuing our working relationship!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 English Reviews