Well Pharmacy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
John Nuttall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It can be very busy and short staffed sometimes the cover is needed more" (in 8 reviews)

• "Also, staff members are denied further training and development onto technician courses even after many years good service" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Healthcare Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Well Pharmacy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working condition, friendly staff

Cons

Can get stressfull during peak hours

2. "WELL Pharmacy"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Marple, England
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Marple, England

I have been working at Well Pharmacy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clear vision for the future and good leaders in place. Outlook is good with new systems and procedures in place. Positive working ethos.

Cons

Work pressure can be hard sometimes. Support staff are difficult to find when needed. Time and effort wasted on a couple of initiatives that did not show fruition.

Advice to Management

Lead from the front and when things go wrong, think of the money that was invested and could have been used for and on frontline staff.

3. "Genuinely not a bad chain to work for probably the best one at the minute,unlike Boots you're not just a number"

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at Well Pharmacy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of support from regional managers, the three I've met have been approachable and do care about staff.

Cons

Quite a new company so a lot of systems need tweaking. Pay for dispensers could be better

Advice to Management

Progression for staff should be more welcome.

4. "A good job"

Current Employee - Dispensary Technician in Cotgrave, England
    Current Employee - Dispensary Technician in Cotgrave, England

I have been working at Well Pharmacy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the customers that I have got to know well over the years I’ve worked in my branch

Cons

It can be very busy and short staffed sometimes the cover is needed more

Advice to Management

Just to give more rewards to staff who put a lot hours and always willing to help out

5. "Pharmacy assistant"

Current Employee - Dispensing Assistant in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Dispensing Assistant in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Well Pharmacy part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lovely customers near home, pension.

Cons

Just a number using trainees instead of skilled workers,too much pressure for little pay.

Advice to Management

Treat us as humans

6. "This company is horrendous to work for"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Well Pharmacy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice colleagues at branch level
    Nice customers

Cons

The company is run by cheap HR people who are constantly busying themselves finding people to investigate and pick on. They believe they can automate dispensing of prescriptions, and so actively treat staff terribly in the hope they will leave and therefore avoid a redundancy situation. Senior management are by and large very incompetent which added to the cheap unqualified HR staff make for a lethal cocktail.

Advice to Management

Every year our staff survey results get worse and worse, to the point they are now amongst the lowest companies out there. We don't need gimmicky badges and, Well Perks, just respect us, thats all we ask

7. "Pharmacy Assistant"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Saint Neots, England
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Saint Neots, England

I have been working at Well Pharmacy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Lovely patients. Close to home. No weekend working as we are based inside a doctors surgery.

Cons

Very busy sometimes dangerous. Small pharmacy hardly any room to dispense. Short staffed.

Advice to Management

Please don't cut our hours.

8. "delivery driver"

I worked at Well Pharmacy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 10 percent discont off in store products.

Cons

I had no induction or proper training. My RDM would give messages to another driver that was for me. I was reliefed of duty without reason.

9. "Worst job ever"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Huddersfield, England
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Huddersfield, England

I have been working at Well Pharmacy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company

Cons

The management are clueless.
    You’re just a number to them. They care about money and nothing else.
    Promised chances of progression and development which never happens.

Advice to Management

Wise up

"A Systemic Level of Low Morale and Unreasonable Expectations"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Well Pharmacy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I got to work with were some of the most caring individuals who genuinely wanted to do right by people. These people make working in some branches worthwhile.

Cons

Well is constantly at Bestway's call to cut costs as much as possible after the failure of implementing a hub and spoke model using their "Capa" system, everyone who seems to have been involved in that project has disappeared from the company. Butchering some branches with up to a 50% hour reduction left them is such an inoperable state that I'd genuinely have concerns that safety for both patients and remaining staff had been compromised.

Things that staff get penalised for:

1) Phone a supplier to ensure a patient gets a medicine? Disciplined for causing a leakage. The expectation is to make the patient longer so the company can make a better profit on it.

2) Staff member did not take time off work whilst their partner was having cancer treatment. Management criticised them for being non-committal.

3) Staff member removed themselves from a situation where they were receiving abusive language from a patient. Staff member was suspended.

4) Staff member forced to take a huge reduction in hours and reallocation of shift times to accommodate for the new H&S system. After new system removed as a failure was expected to return to previous hours, even after causing a huge upset to home life balance. Staff member decided to resign instead.

I think it is important to repeat the words that have already been spoken here, and state how pharmacy teams are working on minimal staffing levels whilst simultaneously enforcing a 5-minute rule for dispensing a prescription, regardless of size or complexity, which is, of course, a complete impossibility.

Senior management has a shockingly low level of knowledge how branches run, even at a regional level. A personal run-in with the CEO found him to be arrogant and mendacious, being critical of a branch with all temporary staff in why they were not working to the company's unrealistic expectations.

This has led to a systemic level of low morale and underappreciated staff, to which I have been witness to many people leave before me, and I am simply just another casualty. I don't want to be a part of the problem, leaving was the best choice I could make.

Advice to Management

Well is following a dangerous direction where it wants to utilise technology and modernisation, and is clearly following an attrition-based approach to its staffing levels. The trends are clear - you can see where the company started its downturn. Let's hope the company realises, for patients and staff sake.