Wiley Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 December 2018

3.2
Brian Napack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance and salary" (in 164 reviews)

• "Lovely people and very good benefits" (in 48 reviews)

1. "Leading the way"

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward-thinking environment looking to always improve on the current status
    Agile working becoming the norm when working across Global locations and functions.

Cons

US HQ can lead to delays in key decisions.

Advice to Management

Continue to stride towards the new vision and philosophy,

19 Nov 2018 – Director

Thanks!!!

2. "Company"

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Work travel required and that isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "PA"

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Wiley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely people and very good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes processes are too complicated.

Advice to Management

Strict management demotivates employees.

"Variable"

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salaries. Great pension scheme. Good training available if it's your first or second role.

Cons

Significant bullying from US management. Most decisions taken in the US. Constant change and restructuring. New project constantly initiated and and then cancelled after enormous amounts of effort have been expended on them. Destructive corporate politics at senior level. US very intolerant of part-time or flexible working.

8 Nov 2018 – Director

I'm so sorry you had a difficult time while you were at Wiley! Periods of change are often difficult to manage and can produce stressful situations. Please know that we are dedicated to producing a... More

"Publishers buying in to Technology"

Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Technical Product Manager in Oxford, England

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lovely people to work with
    Very intelligent staff, innovative and collaborative
    Very flexible working
    Active innovation scheme for all employees to collaborate and contribute ideas to the company roadmap
    Excellent Sports/Social opportunities
    Good Pension, Childcare, Deals with local businesses etc.
    Annual bonus and salary review scheme
    Nice office in Oxford
    Great if you're passionate about publishing

Cons

Continued outsourcing of technology results in redundancy of knowledge base for existing products
    Too quick to restructure to resolve problems without giving the previous restructure time to work
    Siloed mentality in some areas makes collaborative working difficult
    Lack of co-located teams can make you feel isolated (in IT roles especially)
    Trying to be a "Tech" company but not committing to it.
    Little career progression opportunites in IT

Advice to Management

Stick with a restructure long enough to truly measure if it is working or not
    Keep knowledgeable staff around longer to support
    Commit to being a Tech company both in your staff and your technology, don;t just say you are
    Keep up the Innovation programme - encourage participation from more/all of your employees

19 Nov 2018 – Director

We too love the spirit of innovation and commitment to technology - particularly where they can be applied to publishing. Thanks for taking the time to write a well-considered review!

"Used to be a lovely place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chichester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chichester, England

I worked at Wiley part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, free tea & coffee, nice office, free parking

Cons

Used to be a great and happy place to work, unfortunately now it is not. Outsourcing services has led to redundancies and unworkable systems. Outsourcing services without properly planning and anticipating the effects of these changes has led to staff dissatisfaction due to processes that no longer work as well as they did before the outsourcing. Not every department is affected but those that are, are struggling. If you want to work for this company, find out if the department you want to work in is one of those affected first.
    The pay is low compared to other companies, people are promoted based on experience, not qualifications which usually, I would agree with but then you could argue why did I put in all those years of effort studying for my qualification only for people that are less qualified to be in higher positions than me.
    At most places I have worked in the past, my managers have had experience doing the work I do, at Wiley, Managers do not know how to do the role of the people they manage. This is not a good situation when people are off work due to holiday etc meaning no-one can cover their work while they are away and they come back to a back load of work to catch up on. Also, I personally believe that a manager should know how to do the role of those that they manage.
    Unmanageable work loads given to certain members of staff lead to staff leaving after suffering stress from too much work and not enough time to do it. If you raise the point to your manager about unmanageable workloads the answer you are given is either "a previous person managed to do it" or "prioritise your work better". This will never solve the issue of the fact that there are only so many hours in a day to get your work done even if you prioritise to the best of your ability.
    I could go on as there are so many more cons I tried to just list the most important.

Advice to Management

I fear that it is now too late to resolve all of these issues without completely re-thinking your whole strategy. But unfair work loads could be addressed by hiring more staff, which you should have the budget to do if the outsourcing has saved the company money. Properly plan for these changes that you are enforcing, this needs to be done at ground level, not management level because it is the ground level workers that have the most in depth knowledge of the systems not managers.
    Visiting the office for one day and briefly talking to staff involved is nowhere near enough time or even the best strategy to plan for these changes. My suggestion is to not be in so much of a rush to 'go live' be patient and give staff longer to prepare and plan. Managers do not communicate the timescales of these changes to their staff or are not given dates of the timescales by their managers.

"Good company to work for, with positive changes"

Current Employee - Assistant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Assistant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Wiley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues and managers are friendly and respectful and although they're often very busy, will make time for you if you wish to discuss something
    - There's a very proactive approach to tackling the disruptions in academic publishing, which isn't always common in such a large business.
    - Good work/life balance. Hours are easily adjusted and holiday is easy to take.
    - Good response to the gender pay gap problem- lots of communication throughout the company and it's being taken very seriously

Cons

- Staff often overworked, particularly as the work filters down
    - Certain systems don't run as well as they should, but these issues are being tackled
    - Opportunities aren't always obvious/widely advertised. Initiative is required.

Advice to Management

It would be good to focus more on entry/lower level employees. Opportunities are fine, but encouragement is sometimes lacking.

13 Aug 2018 – Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! Understanding the root causes of inequality and making the effort to inform people and address the situation is part of creating that respectful... More

"Just a sad mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chichester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chichester, England

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there is free coffee/tea and the pension contribution is ok. Officially there is a buddy system for new hires

Cons

Where to start...

all looks nice on paper but when it gets to the real work people do not like to be accountable nor have the required skills, all is just figured out on the go.

We had some recent new hires lately and all were left to their own devices, no on boarding, no equipment set up etc. This was just awful! When brought up in a meeting ..."This is the Wiley way"...

There are many old-timers around that just do not want to change anymore nor develop anything. They have their little thing going locally and that is enough for them. Of course those are extremely well connected can get away with anything. This goes as far as into HR.

The amount of negligence/arrogance is appalling and does not contribute to any team spirit or future for the company.

Again, all will look very nice on paper because all boxes are ticked on a sheet but never really ask ...otherwise you get the boot.

Employees are asked to contribute to the Glassdoor presence by adding positive reviews adding to social media engineering.

Managers in Chichester love standing around and gossip about anybody and everything, resulting in a very toxic atmosphere. This is the only time when they are not in their offices or a meeting.

Development opportunities are zero to none because of pure office politics and the Girls Club.

Advice to Management

close down Chichester and restart with new staff that is actually up for the task.

Stop praising yourselves for a great job on the intranet after the Glassdoor score went up...I mean the CEO and his entourage!

21 Aug 2018 – Director

This is quite a lot of feedback and it would be nearly impossible to address it all in the limited space that we have here; however, I would like to address a few things in particular - specifically... More

"Desperate to leave"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chichester, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chichester, England

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

The offices are being refurbished and there is free tea and coffee

Cons

No career progression, poor bonus scheme, limited opportunity (unless your face fits). New leadership are driving a high performance culture without rewarding it or respecting the effort, time and loyalty of staff.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff - all of them - not just the few

14 Aug 2018 – Director

Building a culture where the whole organization shares common values and goals and is focused on high-quality execution is critically important and, you're right, requires mutual respect from all... More

"Good interpersonal relationships but let down by structural issues"

Current Employee - Manager in Chichester, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Chichester, England

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent interpersonal relationships
    Some great colleagues
    Wiley really looks after its own
    Good attempts to foster community spirit through various initiatives

Cons

Communication is truly bad. Sometimes find out people have left through Linkedin updates.
    Constant restructuring which sometimes seems to lack rationale and is then reversed at a later date.
    Outsourcing has meant some basic functions like getting an invoice paid or having new software installed turn into bureaucratic nightmares

Advice to Management

Communicate to your staff. Don't be afraid to inform people that staff are leaving.
    Think carefully about the outsourcing and its effect on the day-to-day jobs of staff

16 Jul 2018 – Director

Thanks so much for the positive review! You're right, Wiley does it's best to build a strong workplace community. Your feedback is well received and we'll do our best to make sure that your advice... More