Zara Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

1,835 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot about fast paced selling and visual merchandising in a face pace store that helped me with my current job (in 107 reviews)

• meet amazing people, good pay, great experience good employee discount (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is low on times (in 49 reviews)

• long hours, poor management at times (in 100 reviews)

1. "Very good team on the shop floor and mutual respect between managers and workers"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Zara part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers helpful in ensuring you are part of the team. Get a 25% for all Inditex brands. Many managers (80%) are hired internally so there are lots of opportunities for progression

Cons

As Zara is a Spanish company, many of the Managers speak Spanish to each other which is unprofessional

Advice to Management

If you are working in England you should speak English at work

2. "Alright"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Kingston upon Thames, England
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Kingston upon Thames, England

I worked at Zara full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet new people, get to learn new things, shifts are alright, management can be ok.

Cons

Doesn't pay that great, the majority of management speak Spanish on the floor (the ones that are Spanish of course) this also includes your regional managers who are usually unfriendly. During sales can be long and tiring hours.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your staff more.

3. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

Great people to work with and quite flexible.

Cons

Very strict when they need to be and unsympathetic

4. "Sale assistant- shop floor responsible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

Pros

It's a very big fashion company and if you want you can quickly grow in the company

Cons

As a big and iternational company it is not always very well organize

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Zara part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love fashion, good brand, good system of values

Cons

Good company to work good compensation

Advice to Management

Good management good cultures and value

6. "Christmas temp job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Kingston upon Thames, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Kingston upon Thames, England

I worked at Zara part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy place which makes time pass quickly.

Cons

Crazy hours, unlimited amount of folding and rude managers.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to staff members

7. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in London, England

I worked at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn from senior managers, varied responsibility

Cons

Rota sometimes unorganized, long working hours

Advice to Management

To be more flexible with hours

8. "The pay is decent"

I have been working at Zara part-time

Pros

Commission and staff discount 25% off

Cons

The employees always speak Spanish which I find unprofessional because they can speak clear english, they over work you because they are understaffed and most of the employees are rude.

9. "Commercial Manager"

Current Employee - Commercial Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in London, England

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It really helped me to understand how a big company is organised and to be trained in every aspect of it
    Money is not bad comparing with other retailers

Cons

Working hours
    Costumers treats the staff really badly
    Work enviroment
    Management team

"The absolutely worst two years of my life"

Former Employee - Cashier in London, England

I worked at Zara part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- you get to meet a lot of lovely and friendly people
    - staff discount for all Inditex companies
    -if you are a student they will try to accommodate your schedule, beacuse of the 'Student Friendly company' they are. However it will be done with a fake smile and rather rude comments, whenever you will need any kind of favour with a day off or shift swap - don't even count on it- you're already on a black list.

Cons

I was working part-time in Zara during my University. It was an absolutely horrendous and very upsetting experience. I would never recommend it to any of my friends. The management is ruthless and lacks the basic sense of humanity. There's a lot of cons that I could mention however the main are:
    - the lack of flexibility
    -management does not respect you- I experienced and saw it so many times - managers yell at you in front of the customers, not willing to help you out, boosting their ego on your failure or they simply take out all their anger or frustration on you, why? just because they can.
    - HR - totally uselless. Usually will not take your side. Takes ages for them to act on any issue, not to mention they do mistakes when it comes to counting up the montly hours and shifts at the end of each month, no harm but you don't get paid if they make a mistake. They don't understand the concept of 'confidentiality'
    -policy - a lot of people shop in Zara, and yes the policy changes once in a while. However management changes it however they want and whenever it's convenient for them. I witnessed one of the managers refunding his husband's worn coat without proof of purchase and right credit card, just because he could do it
    -closing shifts - usually two people on a closing shift duty - you have to basically do everything that was not managed to be done during the day. Did I mention taking out rubbish ? Yes, if you are the chosen one ( usually one of the cashiers either from a department with more cashiers or just the person who is not liked) have to go to the toilets on a top floor and take out all rubish bags that were changed and left by cleaninig team during the day, all boxes left after morning's delivery, sort them out and transport it down by lift on YOUR OWN. It's rather disgusting and dirty job to do, the plastic bags are leaking or have a holes in them. You usually stay extra 15-20 min if no one wants to help you - no one usually does - everyone wants to get home asap.
    -facilities- management don't care is lift does not work. The store I used to work in had the stockroom on the top floor which meant if there was stock delivery that was usually roughtly 20-30 heavy boxes per day it had to be transported by lift upstaris before the opening time. However, the lift was out of service for around one month and all those boxes and rails with clothes must have been transported by employees climbing 4 floors up and down the stairs. Management did not even help with the boxes - they were just rushing everybody 'cause it's opening time'.
    - sick - I saw so many people being bullied by their managers to come to work when they didn't feel well. It was disgusting - still they do it, why ? Because there's no one to cover the shop floor. If you have more than 3 (!) sick days in 6 months you get a disciplinary hearing where another manager bullies you for 2 hours straight, assuming you are lying and trying to prove it - I had a situation when one of the managers was Googling the medicines I was perscribed by GP in front of me to prove that I'm lying.

Advice to Management

Management is the huge problem. They lack respect towards their teams and employees. They really don't care if they will yell at you, talk behind your back, laugh at you in fornt of everybody. They are usually without any training and simply don't know how to deal with people and how to manage a team. No management skills at all. I worked in one store and one department for 2.5 years and met only one manager that actually knew what he was doing. So Zara, get your act together and start respecting your employees.

Showing 1,835 of 1,898 reviews