Adaptiva Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Adaptiva Interview Questions

Interviews at Adaptiva

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Pullman, WA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

First interview was an initial phone screening with the head of engineering. They asked questions about my resume and work style. After that, we scheduled an technical interview. The engineering lead said that the technical questions would be similar to easy in leetcode,

For the technical interview(phone), i was interviewed by a software engineer at the company. They asked questions about my resume, then asked 1 technical question. They were not very explicit about it and I went in the wrong direction. The problem required a specific algorithm which I did not know. I wasn’t able to bounce my ideas off of the interviewer and they seemed like they were doing other stuff during the call.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Bellevue, WA (US)).

Interview

This was in 2017u. Recruiter introduced this company. I thought of a different company with a similar name. They invited to onsite without screening and that is when I realized I applied for a wrong company. However, I was willing to give it a shot since my job at the time demanded long hours and stress.

In the interview, they asked me a trick question which has nothing to do with coding skills. It was not even a typical leetcode style question. This was a question you either know it or not.

As the other reviewer said, I was put in a room alone with an old noisy computer. It had Visual Studio 2005 or something and Windows was not even a genuine version lol. It looked like the trio of people developed software, and they had been the only engineers for a long time. If I got an offer from them and worked, it would have been my career suicide with the dreadful work environment. There was no interaction with the interviewer who was busy talking with a customer. After spending about an hour or so, I regretted wasting my time to come for an interview. It was a very unpleasant experience with interviewers (Founder and architects) who didn't seem to have common sense or genuine care about people. I have done coding and waited a little bit then left as I didn't care whether I receive an offer or not. I have been to an interview for more than 20 companies and this was the worst experience. In fact, I never had any bad experience in all other companies.

Interview Questions

• Some question that requires mathematical formulation into the code.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Application process took about 2 weeks. I applied through Glassdoor and was contacted by a guy their dev team. Interview was via Skype and it took about 30 minutes. It was a live coding challenge (JS). After which I was given a take home challenge .

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why you decided to become a developer?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Adaptiva in August 2018.

Interview

Scheduled an onsite interview without even doing a phone screen of some sort. Got no offer because of my visa status which they asked at the start of the interview but went on with it. They rejected me 2 hours into the interview. I really hope they don't waste my time by telling me to go to Kirkland for an interview and rejecting me because of my visa. The interviewer was intimidating at first but got better as the interview went on. They asked typical Ds Algo questions where I was able to solve it in my own way and achieved their O(n) complexity requirements, however, when I was explaining my thought process, the interviewer was nodding his head in disapproval. I suggest the company be open to multiple solutions.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my resume and typical DS/Algo questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Kirkland, WA (US)).

Interview

Unfair to Adaptiva, I had previously done a Google onsite so the thought of world class engineers and interviewers was fresh on my mind. And this interview was a stark contrast to that.

I'll start off by listing some PROS before I go further. But if you're looking for a spoiler alert, I noticed the cons within 30 seconds of the first interview and knew that I would not accept an offer and came to peace that today was just be used as interview practice.

PROS
    - The main recruiter here and person who gives you lunch is the nicest person ever. If this was a company of all said person, I would take a pay-cut just to work at a company full of these people, so these other people could get that deserved pay-raise.

- Made some small chat with the employees in the bathroom, the non-tech people seem pleasant as heck, too.

- They gave you lunch so that made up for your trip out to Kirkland if you're coming from Seattle. Very nice of them.

- Brain teasers were fun. Definitely stretch you a bit and make you go back to the fundamentals of data structures and algorithms.

On to the juicy cons:

CONS
    - First and foremost, this is a company that still uses SVN, not Git. That company has every right to ask the hardest DS&A question they can muster, but doesn't mean they should. It'd be akin to someone who looks like Gilbert Godfrey expecting to get girlfriends who look like Megan Fox (my Hollywood references are pretty outdated, just like their tech stack): it probably won't happen unless you have personality and heart, which you can tell by looking at this company's reviews and going through the interview, probably isn't happening. Though to be fair, the questions were at least consistent with the rest of the industry, problems weren't too difficult and if they were, it was just stretching your fundamentals and showing your weak spots.

- Tip for the candidates: interviews aren't just them interviewing you but you interviewing the candidates. I had just gotten done with that Google onsite, as I mentioned. Here is a world-class company with world-class engineers; you would think the ego would be through the roof but every interview was more like a conversation with a buddy, no ego involved, and made me feel super great afterwards, good or bad outcome. Coming here was the stark contrast. I had to repeat myself many times, the interviewers stare you down and won't say anything unless it's to correct something you had already mentioned, prompt you to write code even though you literally just said you're going to work through the algorithm first in English to translate to code easily down the line (not to mention this is good practice), and interrupt to break your concentration. You can use this as a litmus test to see how a 1:1 collaboration is going to go, and if I wanted interruptive coworkers with minimal social awareness that don't listen, I'd apply to Amazon or Microsoft instead.

- They sit you in a room by yourself to do that interview question. I think their were good intentions here since they want to take the nerves off and let you to your thinking. This is one wrench in the status quo gears that I wasn't fond of, as it throws you a bit off-balance and makes you feel like a kid doing homework while the adults do their work. You can tell they're looking for something specific and it doesn't matter if you have a different optimal solution, it's their way or the highway. Sounds pretty akin to what the rest of the company reviews say. Since they're so choosy, that's their prerogative, but at least a more technical phone screen could filter this out and minimize everybody's time wasted.

Overall, the reviews are telling you to stay away as a prospective employee. And this review is telling you to stay away as a prospective interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What were your recent projects at your current job? What languages do you work with?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Good experience working with the former VP of sales. Had an opportunity to meet a customer in person with VP. Wish that I would have had an opportunity to meet the owner and dig into his history a little more before joining the company.

Interview Questions

• Fairly standard interview questions. Not a difficult process.   Answer Question

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Adaptiva (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I came in and interviewed with the marketing department, and briefly met the founder. I was given a design task as a test. Later on, I received a call from the founder, and met with him and someone from HR for dinner at a nice restaurant, where I was offered the position. Overall, it was a great experience, and I'm still happy to have accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• The founder is very adamant about a set of core values he adheres to, so he asked me a lot of questions about honesty, work ethic, etc.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.