Aire Interview Questions

Updated 1 May 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 15 of over 15 interviews

3.1
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Aire

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aire (New York, NY) in Mar 2021

Interview

30 min screening with HR & employee Project assignment or Two 60 min interviews Initially responsive. However, told of project with details, unresponsive for days. Morning of interview notified change to two hour conversations.

Interview Questions
  • Are you comfortable training customers online?
    Answer Question

Aire

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aire

Interview

Initial screening and then F2F. F2F was very long for a contracting position and not very well done. The F2F was slotted like below: - Whiteboard abstract exercise with team lead. - Pair programming exercise with other developer. - Interview with scrum master. The worst thing I found was the whiteboard exercise since it was so vague. I could not tell if this was a design exercise or technical exercise. I think a typical whiteboard algorithmic exercise or design problem would be much better since at least you know what you are trying to solve. It felt like we were jumping between design and implementation and answering vague questions with some pseudo code here and there - which made the whole thing a potato salad. Needless to say that didn't go well. Pair programming exercise was very easy. A simple exercise in Python and then writing tests (TDD) and enhancing the solution as you go. Scrum master meeting was more informal and I guess this is where you can get a feel and ask more cultural questions. I think the whole process is suboptimal. You meet 1 person at a time so you end up wasting 3-4 hours in something that could be done in 1.5-2 hours. Overall people seemed nice and the workplace seems good. But the interviewing process needs some overhaul changes - it's a waste of time.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Jun 2019

Interview

A couple of days after applying online, Aire reached out to set up a phone call. During the call, I was told lots about the company and the role which was really useful. Later that week, I had a competency interview that took an hour and a half and focused around my previous experience as well as the opportunity at Aire. I also ran through a portfolio of my work with them. I was then invited to the next stage of the process, which included a task, a culture and values interview and a few more shorter chats with members of the team. The culture and values round is entirely unique and is an excellent way of understanding better the type of people Aire look to recruit. They invest time and energy across the business in making the right hires and this round is a great opportunity to be yourself and see whether that fits with what they are looking for. Overall, it was a detailed but friendly and enjoyable experience which offered a real insight into how the company works.

Interview Questions
  • Questions focused around previous experience, strengths, areas of development and working autonomously.

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Apr 2019

Interview

Informal over the phone, informal face to face with line manager, then a series of interviews to cover the role, company values etc. Final stage was to present strategy and ideas for role.

Interview Questions
  • The suitability moving from a corporate organisation to a fintech?

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Feb 2019

Interview

The Interview consisted of 3 parts 1) An initial introduction call where I was asked a set of general non-technical questions (notice period, salary expectations etc.) 2) A video conference with one of the company's Engineer's. This one was focused on how I as a Sw Engineer perceive and implement TDD and CI/CD 3) A day long in office face-2-face consisting of 3 parts. 1 focused on coding and TDD, 1 focused on Platform design and the last one was more of a discussion attempting to identify if I am a cultural fit for Aire. The 3rd part could have been split between 2 days. It was my choice to have it all in 1 day.

Interview Questions
  • Are Unit Tests or Integration Tests more suitable for finding bugs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Feb 2019

Interview

- Very simple tech exercise to do at home, takes around 30 minutes to do but you're given 90 minutes. - Tech phone call. Face to face: - Whiteboard style interview with a very simplistic problem (Google and many other companies have gotten rid of white-boarding from interviews because they do not measure skill of the applicant at actual Software Development). - Product/processes meeting. Overall simple but the whiteboard part makes no sense in this day and age.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Dec 2018

Interview

Thorough, interesting and friendly. Allowed both Aire and I to understand our fit. An opportunity to become acquainted with several team members and understand the company's values. A mix of value-, competency- and skills-based tasks.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Sep 2018

Interview

Thorough interview process, but all the staff were friendly and accommodating throughout. Started with a couple of 30 minute calls to determine whether the job was the correct fit. The next stage included a 2 hour face to face - diving into more detail on the role followed up by some competency based questions. Final stage was again 2 hours - split between 1 hour on values and culture and 1 hour on a 'working together' session. Although it took quite a lot of time, I had the opportunity to speak with a lot of the team which gave me confidence that I was making the correct decision.

Interview Questions
  • The 'working together' section was unique from my experience. Effectively roll play, I had to work through a challenging scenario with a 'client'. This included team meetings, an 'external' phone call, solo work and finally a proposal back to the team. Although I was sceptical before the interview, I actually found this stage to be really valuable!

Aire

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Aire

Interview

The process was confusing and lengthy. Many inputs were required before the interview. Had technical difficulties connecting to the platform they use and the alternative of a phone call was rejected. A follow-up non-technical interview concluded that my experience was not technical enough.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Aire (London, England, England) in Apr 2018

Interview

Full disclosure/bias upfront: The hiring manager asked me to write a review under the impression I would write a positive one (sorry), the CEO/COO and said manager are brilliant, my girlfriend went for a job here and she was rejected. With that out of the way. This was an interview of extreme contrast, many highs and an awful low. First impressions were brilliant. Hiring manager was refreshing, professional and talked to me like a human. Secondly, while I waited to start, the CEO came up and started chatting to me...wow. Sharp man, we went into a room and there was some strange level of mind reading going on, he seemed to finish my thoughts before I had them. This guy really knows people and, though it was only 15 minutes, he's a CEO I would certainly get behind. Extreme high point... I was very excited. The conversation with the CTO brought that crashing down. On the face of it he seemed like the rest of the company, professional and sensible. He presented a problem, which is great, but then kept forcing me to solve it using only one way. I kept saying, this is not how I would do it, but he was insistent. Then he changed part of the question on the fly which really confused things, but then insisted he hadn't changed it. There was constant interrupting and he kind of answered the question for me without giving me a second to think. It was very stressful, uncomfortable and demeaning. It peaked when I discussed variable types and he said I should set a JavaScript type as a floating point. I said this wasn't possible as JavaScript doesn't allow you to define different int types, (all ints are floating points). After double checking, he was wrong. He snapped back it did. As he put more pressure on me I was finding it harder to think which made him put on more pressure... I saw this loop leading to bad outcomes... I had to stop the exercise and sit down. Then he took it to a cruel place. After that he asked what I've read, and after I named a book and him not really listening, he plonked a 400 page book in front of me with a patronising gesture, and said to read it without asking if I actually knew any of the concepts in it. He had made his mind up, I knew nothing. The conversation was a textbook dominance hierarchy game This was then followed by a rude and again patronising statement of: "we're looking for chefs here not cooks, you're a cook". Either way this left me feeling absolutely awful. The guys an old school bully, he wants to see a computer science masters degree, someone who proudly programs in C/C++/C# which I'm sure he does, owns a shirt saying "real men program in C" and someone to dominate. Learning under him could be brilliant but tyrannical... My girlfriend had a far less intense experience with him, but the sentiment was similar from her, slightly patronising, and she said she wouldn't feel 100% at ease having him as her boss. Benefit of the doubt, he could have had a bad day. Also, to be fair, it could have actually been the test to see how a candidate would deal with someone trying to throw their weight around and test if a candidate could dig in their heels when they heard a CTO say something technically wrong. I considered leaving, but then I met the COO and a developer. Right back to normal... weird... but at this point there was no real chance to salvage this. It was more of a values discussion, similar to the CEO, very affable, didn't pretend to know things he didn't (technical), even inspirational, sensible and asked good questions. I failed this stage and the reasons I think were mostly justified, I didn't answer his straight questions (and tried to laugh it off) and I misrepresented my view of wanting to program completely alone. Ideally I would have liked someone to grill me on JavaScript, but that wasn't the thrust of this stage. Another high point. Left the place feeling weirdly impressed, insulted, reflective and though embarrassing to say, very depressed. Now comes the amazing bit. Needless to say my spat with the CTO and (fair) values mismatch put the breaks on moving forward. The hiring manager called me up and talked it through with me with feedback. Thats real character, dodging having to make that call is an easy thing to do. Unfortunately my girlfriend did get an email, so not 100% amazing, but still... Extremely impressive. On that, writing this was a struggle, its not fun putting out negative stuff like this, but I have to tell you, dear reader, what you're in for. I have really tried to be fair in this and, though I know it would be easy to dismiss this as a cliche narrative "some guy who didn't like the CTO", that would be too easy. To be clear I think working at Aire would be amazing, everyone I met was great, awesome offices (partly under construction) and smart people. But... put someone between you and the CTO, better yet multiple people... maybe even a physical barrier.

Interview Questions
  • It was pretty confusing . You have a flow of 3 forms. You have two services, one is sent when you end a form and no data can be sent on that call. The other gets a count of the number of drop offs? Then it changed that you could use multiple services... Kinda turned into a confusing mess
1 person found this interview helpful