Arnold Clark Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Arnold Clark Interview Questions

Updated 2 Jul 2018

2.6

Car Valeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Had my interview for the job which was a fairly standard set up and a pretty relaxed environment. This was over a week ago and still haven't heard amything, now I don't mind if I didn't get the job but they just leave you not knowing at all. Bad practice in my opinion.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland) in July 2015.

Interview

Premise: I applied for a Software Engineer position from outside Scotland, passing through a talent recruiting company.

I don't want to judge the final decision. I just want to say that it was a very awkward experience that I have never had in my life and I hope I will be able to avoid in the future.

The interview process took almost two months, partly because of the time I took to develop their technical test, mostly because of their slow working rhythm (which is some way I consider positive).

I had my first interview with the talent recruiter on the phone and then I received a technical test to work on. I put a lot of effort in the test as I wanted to impress them with my code skills, completeness of the solution and testing coverage. The test had been made available on github for them to review in full. On that I had a technical interview. I had the impression that they did not look at it until the moment we started the conversion (it can be just an impression though).

After that, everything looking great, I was invited to their Development Center in Glasgow. My communication was only with the recruiter, to whom I immediately asked whether some part of my trip was paid by the company (accommodation, transportation...). They told me that unfortunately everything was out of my pocket. At the beginning I did not want to embark in this, an employee does not really feel drawn by such behavior.
    Then I talked with the recruiter, which was confident that I would get the job and that it was worth risking, and, with substantial investment on my part, I went there.

The morning of the face-to-face interview, at their headquarters, I had another conversation on my test, explaining and detailing again why I made this or that choice, what I would change if I had to implement it "for real" and highlighting that after all that was just a test I had fun with.
    It was a bit weird that we went over the test again, but they had just hired another person for the position (they were slowly building the team) and they wanted him to judge my work. I then discovered that they hired this person even if he did not submitted a complete solution to the test.
    Afterwards I started pair programming with him on a real problem. He described me very clearly the issue at hand and we started discussing about the solution. All the decision were taken together, as a sort of mini-team. At the end we agreed that the solution would be "on these lines".

I was not selected. They wrote me some feedback on why they decided not to (and by the way I am grateful for that). This is the most difficult part to describe and I will try to be objective.

Objectively the company does not do anything to lure good and skilled workers to them. The fact that I had to pay my trip to Scotland is an example of how a company should never behave if it wants to improve its talent store. Not that I was that talent, they did not select me after all, but then why inviting me? Why not rejecting me directly after the test (in the feedback they said one of the reasons was that I had done "too much" in the test, I had not been YAGNI, and they invited me to take it again) ?
    This might also mean that they are not financially strong enough to do it (I was a "final stage" candidate after all), and this is kind of scary as well.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online following a email from my Lecturer at Uni advising me of the opening. The job was advertised on s1Jobs.com in the UK, but AC do promote their openings within the University and as such I thought I had a decent chance at an offer at least... Boy I was wrong!

The emailed me to confirm some personal details and asked me to complete a technical test within a day of submitting my application, and subsequently requested a technical test to be completed.

I sent everything back within the agreed timescale, but never heard back from Arnold Clark... nothing at all. I emailed them a couple of times to ask for some feedback, but they never bothered replying.

I submitted my code and files to my Curriculum Lecturer at Uni (I am a 4th year honour Student in Mobile and Web Development) and he told me that all my code was pretty good and there was not much to add to it really... He told me that it was above what he would expect to receive for such task.

I never actually spoke to anyone at AC so they only really have my code to rely on... which makes it even more disheartening to not hear back at least...

Interview Questions

• I was contacted within a few days of my application being sent. The first email was to confirm that was aware of the location (Glasgow, Hillington) and the hours. They also wanted to confirm that I was eligible to work in the UK.

Once I sent my reply, it took a day for them to send me a technical test to complete. They did not mention any timeline for completion however they suggested returning the completed files within a week. The test was completely open and they only provided very little guidance as they mention wanting to see the best you can do, and as such they let you choose which language to use.   1 Answer

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Arnold Clark's career pager and received my offer for Marketing Executive one month lather.

Overall, it was a very thorough process, but that's to be expected if you want to work for one of the biggest automotive companies in UK. The salary is competitive and you get to work on some awesome projects. If I wasn't selected for the role, I would feel like my ideas were "farmed", but you have to "roll the dice if you want to play the game". I had a strong resume, backed by very relevant previous experience, and nailed every one of my interviews with good documents/followup.

Interview Questions

• The creative approach is what really separates candidates for this role. This is the point where a good candidate stands out from the rest.   Answer Question

Graduate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stirling, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Stirling, Scotland) in April 2017.

Interview

Relatively straightforward, send CV and AC gets back to you to arrange an interview if successful. The only problem was there was a lot of going back and forth with HR to supply different documents etc. The interview itself was simple with an Area Manager asking questions about yourself, a couple technical questions, what you know about the company etc. It lasted roughly half an hour to 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• What is the journal entry for a prepayment on rent?   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arnold Clark.

Interview

I sent my application away and got accepted for the first stage and got sent a design document. I finished it in approximately 1 week and sent it back and it took the company about 3 weeks to respond, then I got a Skype interview with the senior developers and it was just an overview of my approach.

The work I produced was very well written, I had a senior from my current team who has 8 years javascript experience look over my work and he told me it's perfect. So I got an email back telling me I was unsuccessful with a contradictory "your code and testing was satisfactory but we think that your javascript skills are not too standard"

Just to note that I used node which is standard, I wrote selenium testing, everything was done very efficiently.

I had to constantly chase this company as I was told they would get back to me in a day or so.

I probably avoided a bullet. I will post the github repository

Interview Questions

• What was your approach and why?   1 Answer

Arnold Clark Response

11 Jul 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for leaving a review of our recruitment process, and for your interest in working for Arnold Clark.

Firstly, I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for the delay in assessing your... More

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark.

Interview

Applied online through LinkedIn. Was contacted by a recruiter and an interview was set up soon after.
    Thee recruiter was professional, and friendly at the same time. Therefore, the atmosphere was relaxing and it was easy to give answers to the questions without being to worried. (I always get stressed at interviews)
    It was a really simple interview, where I just had to tell about myself and basically what I can offer.
    Right after the initial interview with the recruiter, another interview was set up with the branch manager.
    Likewise, very relaxed atmosphere. Had an interview with the branch manager and a brief conversation with the sales manager.
    Everyone informed me about the long hours and target driven environment, which I am completely fine with.
    I asked a lot of questions and received detailed answers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland).

Interview

I have applied and been to several interviews now with arnold clark never to here anything back from them. I have 10 years of experience of sales and 16 years of customer service experience but i am also disabled beginning to think this is the reason why i don't hear anything back. certainly isn't experience or lack of knowledge 1 manager told me i was more experienced and qualified than he was. Awaiting to here back about another job with them see what the outcome is , i will be contacting disability act and taking it further

Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Stoke-on-Trent, England).

Interview

Questions based on my sales experience and my personal life. Just a general chat based on my work and personal life. Job was offered to me there and then. I don't know what else to say, i just need to build up my 50 words minimum.

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland) in May 2015.

Interview

The current Interview Process - HR Representative is brought into branch to meet you along with the manager. Once the interview is concluded, they run a disclosure check and check out any relevant references. When I originally applied, it was General Manager who took the interview, tore up my CV as I entered his office and told me to sell him that car (pointing to one in the showroom). I got the job, and worked for him for 5 years, he was one of the best guys I worked for within my time in the company.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.