Coupang Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Coupang

2.9

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coupang (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

there are 4 person in the interview process. Candidate will stay in a conference room, each interviewer will spent an hour with you to ask question. Particularly one person is on behavior type of questions, the rest are mostly on design questions.

Interview Questions

• in a vendor management system, design a system for seller to upload their product   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coupang (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

First pre screening round and then had one phone interview then got rejection. The process is really weird.have some knowledge about the company and prepare your resume well.

Interview Questions

• Asked most of the questions on my resume and he asked me to code one sample project somewhat similar to my projects on my resume, it was unexpected still I have completed my code and given him proper explanation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coupang (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn
    Recruiter phone call
    Tech screen
    on site
    Never got any follow up email after on site, so I guess it was good I only used it as practice, preparation for other companies

Interview Questions

• Behavioral, In order Traversal Tree Print with no recursion, typical   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coupang in July 2017.

Interview

It starts with a phone interview and onsite in Seattle. Interviewers are unprofessional and insecure. Recruiter is irresponsible. Hopefully not all employees at Coupang are like them. The worst interview experience ever. No wonder why lots of people (formal employees or interviewees) complain about this company.

A hiring manager pretended to listen but its obvious that he was working on something else like replying to other emails. Later, he asked the same question again.

Other interviewer excused that he needs to reply to other emails for 10 minute. While he's replying, he asked some questions which is obvious that he didn't listen nor care. During an interview, he said that I am not qualified for a position since I didn't answer to some of his questions.

I've interviewed many candidates but it's rule of thumb that whether an interviewee is good or bad, the interviewer's job is to encourage him/her to do his/her best.

He was such an insecure and unprofessional interviewer ever. I felt bad for Coupang that he in the employee who ruins Coupang's company reputation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Coupang.

Interview

I went through two phone screens which were relatively easy. Then I had two more phone calls with the heads of two teams I was being considered for. Both were very enthusiastic about having me on their team.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Coupang (Mountain View, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Got in a call with recruiter, understood the teams, and set up phonescreen. Cleared phonescreen and scheduled onsite. It had 5 people on panel.

1) Person was someone at a high position in the leadership. He for 1+ hrs just talked about business of coupang. Talked about technology very less and talked about the projects he managed in the past very less. at the end of the interview he gave me an algorithmic question which he wanted only the idea for solving the problem from me.
    2) second person learnt about my background, told me code on blackboard tree traversal problem. i did using recursion, then he told me to do it iteratively as well. He asked me a design question about designing a marketplace on a website. i gave him an indepth answer
    3) 3rd interviewer gave me a paper on which the problem was stated, i had to hit that api, get the data, and display on console. Can do paginations. I coded that from scratch on my laptop and gave it to him. I can look up on the internet for some usage or examples if needed
    4) 4th interviewer asked me write a spark job on blackboard. i kind of struggled as i was not told that i will be asked questions specifically related to a technology hence i had not brushed up on it.

The interviews did not stick to the time plan and i got out of the office 1+ hr late than originally scheduled. The first interviewer bored me out. I did not like the fact that i was grilled on a specific technology. The 3rd interviewer was just sitting there and did not ask me anything related to my code or thought process.
    I dont know what they were trying to evaluate from me. The interviews were very peculiar than other companies

Interview Questions

• phonescreen:
      What is singleton pattern. Code an example of singleton. What are its use cases   1 Answer
    • algorithmic question related to sparse array   1 Answer
    • coding: tree traversal in recursive and iterative   1 Answer
    • design: marketplace kind of a feature on ecommerce website. Send notification to merchants   1 Answer
    • write a spark job   1 Answer
    • hit api on internet, get data, put it in the csv file   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coupang (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

Standard interview with 4 rounds - 3 Technical and 1 HR. Technical person were not ready to listen approach and would like to just see solution. On top of that the interviewer was always on Laptop and on trying to get into discussion about approach or anything, there was no response from him. At the end of two interviews, I was told that interview process would not continue as feedback is not good. This is not the end. The very next day in the morning, I got email from HR that "I am in the process of doing a quick review meeting on your assessment in your onsite interview last week from the panel. I will keep you posted if there is a change in our decision. Let me know if you have any further questions." What!!!!! I don't believe that employees in the company are not sure about their decision and they send people out of interview process after two rounds? Good that I got rejection as I would have rejected them anyways if the decision would have changed. I would recommend people to think twice before applying to Coupang.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Coupang (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

I do not recommend interviewing or working here unless you are mainland Chinese, which is the majority of the employees at this location.

Some of the behavioral questions were offensive and not appropriate but I guess it is normal for them.

The phone screen was not difficult, but the onsite had very specific questions. Most of the questions were related to their work. However, unless you are already working in a similar industry, you will feel unprepared this interview.

The recruiters were not helpful at all and I wish I did not waste my time here.

Interview Questions

• Some leetcode questions, some database questions, and a coding question relating to web scraping.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Coupang.

Interview

Was contacted over linkedin and was given the Hackerrank challenge. There was a problem on Hackerrank and they let me do a over the phone interview. Make sure to study you need to know the basics.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions was based around the basics of CS.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Coupang (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

1st - hacker Rank Challenge.
    Good Challenge

2nd - Onsite (4 technical interviews)
    Coding on laptop and white board.

3rd - Onsite (1 technical interview)
    More coding on white board.

Overall bad experience. Do not listen to recruiters and prep for interview. Positive feedback after first on-site and but called again for second onsite. After 1 round I was sent out. No interview pattern at all.

Interview Questions

• General computer science fundamentals. Even Senior positions require DS or undergrad knowledge to solve questions.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.