Economist Intelligence Unit Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Economist Intelligence Unit

2.9

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

I did a video interview with the Editorial Director, a three-hour editing/writing test, and a one-hour in-office interview with the Managing Editor.

If you've spent any time in publishing, the Managing Editor is a familiar type. Jaded, condescending, couldn't be bothered with interviewing, no interest in meeting talented people, just looking for cannon fodder. Her phone was on the table the whole time, which she checked periodically and of course, in turn, threw her off track. She didn't know a thing about my background (said my resume was on her computer somewhere). Didn't know anything about who else I'd spoken to either. She mentioned that the instructions on the editorial test I took had not been correct, and yet seemed to dwell critically on the erroneous work I had done as a result of their mistake. When she wasn't gazing at the ceiling, she spent the last 10 minutes talking about movies. At the end, as I gathered my things to leave, I thought she might give me an assist or walk me back to the door. Nope. She went straight back to her desk. Peace out. That interview was over before it even started. Got the rejection notice two weeks later.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit.

Interview

The hiring process took a while as it was during the end of the summer. I had three phone interviews, one with HR, one with my line manager and one with a team member. The questions weren't very targeted but were targeted to display my understanding of macroeconomics, current events, and ability to critically think.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background. Describe projects you've worked on that relate to our team (Public Policy)   1 Answer
    • How do you work on a team?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

Interview

Initial phone call then an in-person interview. I thought it went fine but it's very competitive so I knew going into it that the odds were not great. Understandable and fair.

They said I'd hear back within one week either way. Never heard *anything.* I don't know why they tell people they'll hear back when they clearly have no intention of getting back to people (as other reviewers have said). I'm young but even I know this is unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Describe some research projects you've done, talk about data skills, temperament questions, etc.   Answer Question

Summer Inter - Public Policy Consulting Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I had a phone interview followed by an in-person interview where I was asked the same few questions. None of the interviewers seemed to be able to properly explain to me what the interns did at the company.

Interview Questions

• I was mainly asked to describe current research projects I had worked on.   Answer Question

Head of Client Engagement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Do NOT consider this role - resist the temptation! EIU has no skin in the game during the interview process of your candidacy - you will spend a LOT of your time and dime to develop and present two cases while shelling out all of your travel expenses with no reimbursement.

And that is just for starters...

I was solicited by a recruiter and honesty enticed since I heard it was part of the Economist Group - I admire and respect the publication and a reader for years.

This is a newly created position within their healthcare sector reporting to two career company managers who never worked a day in their lives in either a BD or sales role. They are dismissive know-it-alls who on one hand yet passively- aggressively pick your brain for recommendations for their own benefit.

As I told the recruiter after the interview, I would decline any offer. The two hiring managers has NO interpersonal, communication or managerial skills and would not work for them for any money in the world. Not the kind of people who you want to break bread with at any costs.

As a seasoned and proven executive who has a consistent track record of distinguishing myself by exceeding expectations for over 30 years, I have NEVER been subjected to such unprofessionalism! Good riddance.

I must say the the other interviewers (C-level and auxiliary) were rational, engaging people who understood the sales, BD and marketing process to be successful in this role.

A pity really given the reputation of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Case studies - even when I sent these to the hiring manager and recruiter beforehand to make sure we are on the same page, s/he (Hiring managers) gave thumbs-up only to reject content at the interview. They don't even know the meaning of the word PROPOSAL -FYI   1 Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was long and arduous. I interviewed for two months and was blown away at the level of how unorganzized hiring managers and HR seemed to work. I advanced 6 times, which means I did well, but after months of interviewing I was rejected and would expect more than a generic copy/paste letter. Also, there were three reschedules after I had already left work early or taken time off. for such a highly regarded company (or so I thought) there needs to be more organization and more consideration for candidates.

Interview Questions

• What is it you know about the EIU? Overall relatable experience? What would you do...hypothetical questions from clients? Proposal writing experience?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (Washington, DC (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

RUN AWAY from this organization. The interview process took 3 months. 1 interview with HR, 2nd video interview with the "Global Commercial Director", 3rd in-person interview with the Global Commercial Director, 4th interview with the Editorial Director and Director of Country and Economic Research, North America, EIU; 5th interview/presentation.

Don't waste your time to apply. They are not hiring rather gathering free ideas from the applicants who reached the final round - presentation. Obviously they cannot generate ideas internally in terms of how to expand their business in North America. Very callous the way they declined my application after the 5th round: "Unfortunately, we decided to go in a different direction."

Interview Questions

• What would be your sales strategy to penetrate the State Dept.? What tactics would you deploy (groups to target, EIU assets to leverage, content to present, etc.) and track to best ensure success?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Fair, easy - I interviewed with 2 different managers and they asked pointed questions that were easy enough to answer based on my background. I had also done freelance work for the company so that helped too.

Specialist Retails Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

Though the interview process was a task that had to be completed as soon as I was contacted by email--waiting one day or even one hour--would have prevented me from the opportunity--the interviews were conducted by professionals who were encouraging, intelligent, and rehearsed. Because the interview process took place via telephone and email the efficient manner in which they were handled gave me a very good impression and made accepting the offer a smart move on my part.

Interview Questions

• My strengths as a salesperson v my strengths as a regular person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was minimal because the initial offer was intelligent.

Business Development Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with the hiring manager and one co-worker about their experiences in their positions; I prepared powerpoint presentation on subject of my choosing related to emerging markets economics.
    I had previously contacted an alum from my college who works for the firm who helped me position myself for what would be required in the role.

Interview Questions

• Business plan for growing sales in territory   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not a lot of room to negotiate better base

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.