Essence Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Essence Interview Questions

Updated 3 Jan 2019

Sort:

Associate Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Essence (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

You get a quick first interview with the HR rep. Must take a math test to get the second interview. You can inspect the code to find the questions. Additional math test during the in-person interview.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Essence (New York, NY (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

I contacted Essence in regards to a job posting they had for advertising operations. After being contacted almost 3 weeks later, they had me take an online test. It was a pretty easy test, and getting all of the questions right enabled me to go on to the next round. In order to even be considered for the next round of interviews, I had to call for 2 days to get someone in HR to schedule an in person interview.

The interview was typical, behavior and technical. It was only when I got to the behavioral that I realized that they had no idea what my experience was (despite submitting my resume) or have any idea what department they wanted me in. Despite not having formal experience in advertising, I was told that I did exceedingly well compared to other candidates who had experience.

After this first interview process, I worked the next few weeks trying to get in contact with HR again. After finally getting a second interview a few weeks later, I came there to find out it was for a different position, and they were basically making my second interview a "redo". I have never felt like a company has wasted more of my time. At least until they asked me to come in the very next day for a third interview, this time with twice as many people, and with a second technical aspect.

After this I was completely ignored for many weeks, despite occasional emails every week or so just to see how the process was coming on hiring me. After almost a month, they sent me a trite email telling me they took someone more experienced for their entry level position.

I would also like to add that this process took many months, and that their interviews varied from half a day to a whole day of my time. At this point I almost feel like I should be filling out an employee review since I spent practically a sum total of a week at the company just interviewing over the course of three months.

All the while, I was being strung along for many junior level positions, which were ultimately given to people who had many more years of experience than me. What is even more laughable is that when they asked what my salary requirements were, I gave a value considerably below what the average starting salary was for the position, and they told me it was much too high.

I can't imagine that these individuals with all of these extra years of experience are actually taking salaries lower than what I stated in the interview, but perhaps that is the result of a bad economy, and Essence is exploiting the dire situation people seem to be in.

Awful experience overall, I would avoid this company unless you have a lot of time to waste and like to get your hopes up. Or perhaps you have many years of experience and would like to get paid very poorly, that is if you can ever get in contact with their HR department.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Essence Digital?   1 Answer

Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Essence (New York, NY (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

The process started with a call from the recruiter. I wasn't looking for a new role, but she contacted me directly, was very informative, and talked a lot about the culture at Essence. I passed a math test (basic SAT math) and then came in for 2 rounds of interviews. The process is quite rigorous as there is a regular interview and then a case study in each round. The case studies are pretty tough, and focus on strategy, mathematics and critical thinking. The recruiter mentioned that because Essence works with tech clients like Google, case studies are a good way to showcase my skills and abilities, like a real client strategy session. It went pretty smoothly and I enjoyed meeting everyone at Essence. I believe that I aligned well culturally with Essence as well as my analytical nature. It's an open environment, and everyone looked happy working there. I got a tour and saw employees playing foosball, ping pong and I think there was a movie playing in one of the conference rooms. Positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges in today's digital media climate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was a good amount higher than what I expected. I did not negotiate as there was a bonus as well on top of the salary, a matching 401k and free healthcare.

Media Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Essence.

Interview

I received a generic email from a recruiter saying they wanted to speak with me. After the call I was told I would have to interview with a second recruiter from London. Surprisingly, despite the atrocious number of out of date buzz words, neither recruiter seemed to understand my function.

Frustrating but most recruiters don't understand media so I went forward with the interview.

Big waste of time. Five interviews were scheduled, two peopled showed. As I said, huge waste of time. they are hugely unorganized and unprofessional. At the end of it, I really felt my time wasn't respected.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult was trying to explain what I do to the recruiters who were trying to recruit me!! shouldn't they know that already?   Answer Question

The salary they mentioned was insulting

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Essence (New York, NY (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

the recruiters are friendly and efficient. firstly comes with behavioral questions, such as why do you choose essence, what's your biggest failure, what's you motivation and then quantitative questions. credit card case. the whole interview lasts about 1.5 hour.

Interview Questions

• What kind of boss are you expecting?   1 Answer

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Essence (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

First began with an HR call where they asked for salary expectations and eligibility to work in the US, then an in-person meeting that consisted of a skills and personality interview, followed by a design test.

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Essence (New York, NY (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

The whole process took about a week. I applied to the company for one role, and they reached out to me via email about a week later asking if I could come in to interview for one I was more qualified to do. I was contacted on LinkedIn as well. The same day I received the email and message on LinkedIn, I had a behavioral phone screen at around 6:30pm. I was really pleased with the fast turnaround of the recruiting team. The next morning I interviewed at 10:00am with about four people on the team. The conversations were informational and thorough - and the process was fluid and well-done. I was extended an offer and accepted that morning.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Essence in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a set of meetings with the executive team. The team was most interested in my proficiency in media, ability to articulate through writing, and capability to solve strategic issues.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Essence in October 2014.

Interview

Phone interviews with Zach. He was great! He communicates back promptly and tackles problems and hiccups professionally. We set up 2 video interviews. The team realized that they needed someone with more experience.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Essence (New York, NY (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

First, the recruiter scheduled me for a time. She then changed due to her schedule. As the following week, I waited next to the phone for 40 mins then decided to call her, she explained that she was busy and blamed that I changed the time and informed that she would call me 1.5 hrs afterward.

Of course, after 1.75 hrs, I called and then she told me that she had to move the schedule again.

2 days after, I received a 5-min phone and she told me that she had to go to a meeting. This recruiter was just straight out rude and never apologized once. She never told me what Essence business model and what they did.

Based on their recent news with google chrome, I am sure that this co aint as good as they think they were.... esp judged by their HR personnel quality

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.