GSA Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

GSA Capital Interview Questions

Interviews at GSA Capital

3.4

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GSA Capital in November 2019.

Interview

Extremely disappointing process. The PM I interviewed with was only interested in the strategy I built for another hedge fund. He was not at all interested in other work I did, or my skills. He kept asking me to give him specifics about the strategy, while I gave the more general detail from the academic research about the topic while telling him that it's proprietary. After realizing that I'm not giving out the specific variable names, data source, etc, he started telling me that what I did was completely wrong and my strategy wouldn't make money. Same with the other strategy I built for another hedge fund. Overall a terrible experience, not sure why they want to extract strategy from the interview, maybe they don't have much going on for themselves.

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GSA Capital (New York, NY (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied on the website and they gave me a phone interview. And the interviewer was patient and stated his question very clearly. But it seems I don't have enough knowledge for statistical learning. So I failed in the interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GSA Capital (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Interviewed with 3 men onsite, each for about 1 hour. One focused on research experience on resume and coding, one focused on technical math/stats problems, the last one is a senior boss and asked you to find alpha given a specific scenario.

Interview Questions

• What is the MLE of the parameter of a Poisson Distribution?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GSA Capital.

Interview

Only made it to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and patient when working through math/quant problems. Asked him about the overall hiring process and he said it starts with a phone interview, then a second phone interview, then a mathematical modeling problem, then another interview about your model, then they fly you over for a final interview.

Quantitative Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GSA Capital (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

First stage is a set of interviews, for a total of 3 hours (1hr per interview) on the same day. Questions include basic statistics, and math. In the second stage, they sent a project and you need to finish with a limited time. And the last stage is on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Law of large numbers, central limit theorem, approximate probabilities, etc.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GSA Capital.

Interview

I found the role through a recruiter specialised in functional programming dev positions. The interview turned out to be about something neither functional nor development. My overall impression of the process was that it wasn't prepared for, and was more a quant/finance interview than a software engineer one. Despite being told I'd be completing a programming task so would need access to a computer, I was instead asked to complete a logic puzzle over the phone. Although pleasant, the interviewer wasn't too prepared as they initially asked me if I was applying for the intern position. They didn't ask whether I'd like to give the programming task a shot, instead assuming it wouldn't be suitable, as I didn't have much experience in the OO language that they used (I was surprised, as I was under the impression the role would involve FP). When I asked if this sort of logic puzzle was what they did on a day-to-day basis as a developer, they replied in the negative, which made me wonder what sort of candidates they were filtering for - traders or software engineers.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

I applied with CV and cover letter and was rejected after 6 hours. This was especially irritating as I had spoken with company employees and been encouraged to apply just two days before.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GSA Capital in November 2019.

Interview

The interviewer asked some staff about Linear Algebra and Linear regression. I haven't had much knowledge in Linear Regression so he kind of defined some staff and then started asking intuitive questions. In the end, he told a computer science easy problem.

Interview Questions

• Diagonalize a 2X2 matric with some real entries, Have an array how to find the three elements with the biggest product.   Answer Question

Market Risk Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GSA Capital in November 2019.

Interview

A recruiter suggested this would be a Scala role with an initial coding interview in coderpad. On the day the interviewer said they're not sure about using Scala and we did a puzzle instead. Neither I did nor wanted to get to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• There're 1000 bottles of wine, one of which contains poison that takes 24 hours to work. What's the minimal number of test subjects you need to identify the poisonous bottle within 24 hours.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at GSA Capital.

Interview

The phone interview process was fully technical, comprising of 3 algorithm questions and 2 probability questions. Overall the experience was positive, I definitely got the feel that they are looking for the best of the best.

Interview Questions

• Return all numbers in an array that occur more than once. There were several follow ups to this question: implementing in O(NlogN) time (using either constant or linear space), and implementing in O(N) time (with several assumptions given).   Answer Question
    • Implement a queue using two stacks   Answer Question
    • Implement binary search   Answer Question
    • If you have an urn with 2 yellow balls and 2 black balls, what's the probability of drawing 2 consecutive yellow balls?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.