Games Workshop Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Games Workshop Interview Questions

Interviews at Games Workshop

2.9

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop in August 2019.

Interview

I submitted an application for Store Manager one night while job hunting, and the next day, I get a call from a recruiter with GW to stop by for a hiring event at the store. The event happens, and it's a standard meet-and-greet where we can talk to the recruiters and have our questions answered. I must have made an impression, because the next day, I was offered an interview.

The first direct interview went well, and I was told that I should expect an answer within two weeks about a second interview. Sure enough, next day goes by, and I get my second interview. The second interview also went well, though it wasn't as long as the previous one. I was then told to expect a response within the week on their decision, then...nothing.

My last interview was in mid-August, and instead of telling me what was happening, I instead got ghosted. I was very much looking forward to working for the company, but being treated this way has soured me greatly, especially since other reviews on here talked about they stayed in touch even with a rejection. It's been a disappointment.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time that you failed in your tasks at your previous job?   Answer Question
    • What is the most important aspect of customer service to you?   Answer Question

Retail Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

I've had two separate second interviews with GW recruiting in the USA. Both times the initial interview was far more in-depth and overall pleasant than either of the second interviews. But both first interviews felt like a proper second interview. In both initial interviews I was able to really sell myself, my passion and knowledge and ideas / experience to run a successful store etc. The recruiter was very approachable and asked in depth questions and was very engaging. I was called back the same day both time to schedule a second interview.

Both second interviews were with a different recruiter. They only asked a handful of questions about my character like " tell me about a challenge you've faced" and other pretty old school style interview questions. After a few minutes it became very clear he knew nothing about my previous interview nor could they answer any questions I had. Like actual questions about the job, sales goals the list goes on. The guy had a really disinterested attitude like he had a few more of these to do and just trying to get through the day. I found it incredibly rude he could not answer basic questions and gave me these weird responses that were passive aggressive. He also literally laughed when closing the interview I said "I look forward to working for the best miniature company in the world".

I've politely retracted myself as a candidate after the second interview. And would never recommend a retail position with Games Workshop within the USA

Interview Questions

• nothing its an easy interview   1 Answer

Marketing Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Fort Worth, TX (US)).

Interview

Dull and short. there were no questions about capabilities or what I could bring to the company. They should improve their questions and the people doing the interviews. All in all it was no the best learning experience.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Fairfax, VA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied after seeing a Facebook ad, and received a call on the next day from a very friendly recruiter. We scheduled a Skype interview for the following week. The Skype interview was very thorough, yet enjoyable and I felt good about it. They promised to call me the week after that, once they were done with all of their other interviews for this location, in order to let me know if they'll move forward with my application. They did call me, but they had picked somebody else for this location and offered me a similar position at another location, which was too far away from me, unfortunately. Overall, it was probably the best interview process I've ever had.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Took around 8 calls and 4 interviews in before I was rejected. The hiring managers where polite and decent to talk to. They where respectful of your needs and when they called.

Warehouse Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Memphis, TN (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

conducted via video conference w/ 3 managers from Home office in UK ; had trouble hearing all of the questions; asked standard DC manager interview questions; only a few behavioral questions ; then toured DC with supervisors

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop.

Interview

Multiple phone conversations with hiring manager. This was followed by 2 skype interviews with one or more people. The questions where basic, they seemed more interested in games knowledge than sales knowledge. Core values promoted table top culture throughout the company. I had a difficult time with consistent communication but overall the experience was good

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Rochester, NY (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

I believe I was discriminated against based on my gender during the interview process with this company. After a Skype interview which went well I learned another candidate had been hired. This person had a two year arts degree from a public college while I have a four year scholarly degree from a highly ranked private university. This person had no management experience while I have nearly a decade of management experience. This person had no experience with the game and did not even know how to play based on Facebook posts they made after being hired about how customers were going to teach them how to play and repeatedly calling Age of Sigmar "Age of Signer." I on the other hand spent dozens of hours watching gameplay videos and learning the rules and mechanics of the game leading up to my interview so that I was intimately familiar with the game, as well as studying in-depth on the company's history and culture.

So while the person who got the job was under-qualified in almost every comparable sense and clearly put in so little effort they didn't even bother to learn the game, they were still hired over me. As previously mentioned my interview seemed to go really well and I presented several ideas I had to improve the store's networking and showed how passionate I was about the hobby. The only difference is that the person who got hired has drastically different political views and also a different gender. When I emailed Games Workshop to ask how I fell short as a candidate so I could work to improve on these things in the future, they refused to answer any questions about it which seemed suspicious.

Surprise, surprise the person they hired as the manager immediately hired on their best friend. What a coincidence their best friend just happened to be the most qualified for the job. This type of nepotism should be discouraged and it's what kills stores like this.

Interview Questions

• If you got the store what would be your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (North Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

I wrote a letter and e-mailed it in and was contacted within a few days by a really friendly recruiter who just wanted to give me a brief run down of the job. He said they'd be going over cover letters and calling potential candidates at the beginning of the next week. It was a couple weeks later before someone called me (at 8pm) to set up a Skype interview the following Monday. The Skype interview seemed to go okay and I was told I'd be called on the following Friday and they'd let me know one way or another. I didn't hear back until the following Tuesday when I got a voicemail to call them back. I was hopeful that since they didn't just turn me down in my voicemail like most recruiters would do, that it was a good sign I'd get a second interview. I called back and left a message. It was few days before I was contacted again. After about a week of playing phone tag I was getting a little leery but thought maybe if that much effort was being made to actually speak with me that it was still a positive sign. But they just wanted to thank me for interviewing and said it "definitely wasn't a normal rejection and to please reapply if there were any openings in the future"
    Whatever that means...

I've been incredibly selective about what jobs I apply for when I relocated to Chicago and this job was something that really called to me. I thought I'd be really happy at it and do a good job. So of course I'm also disappointed, but that is something I can deal with and accept. The frustrating part is the unnecessary waste of time. The whole thing took well over a month. During this interview process I received 2 job offers which I turned down (not entirely because I was holding out for this job, but that did influence my decision a little, particularly on one of them). The fact that I was turning down jobs led me to stall my applications and wait to hear back, which was my choice, but there's still no reason it should take this long. Especially for a rejection.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in this role?   1 Answer

One Man Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

This process lasted from March 5th, 2016 to May 3rd 2016 for an opening in New York. Sent my resume and the all important cover letter in early March. Was contacted about two weeks later for a Skype interview. Interview was scheduled mid workday so I had to take a half day. Interviewer was nice, early twenties, average questions. Seemed to like what I had to say. Was contacted a week later for second Skype interview with different recruiter, this time interview was scheduled for the end of the work day so I only had to miss a couple of hours work.

Second interview was a little more challenging. Upbeat fellow in his thirties. At this point I had a better Idea of what the job entailed and had done some research. Interviewer seemed very impressed with my answer. Told me I would be contacted within the weeks wether or not I would be scheduled for a face to face "final interview" he called me back within thirty minutes to let me know that they ha unanimously decided to move me forward in the process. I would be booked on a flight to Dallas to meet them in person. I walked away from this second experience feeling very confident that I had a good chance to be hired.

I ended up having two connecting flights with layovers in one day (four flights total) to make this interview possible. I left the house at 3:30 am to make a 6:30 flight from New York to Boston layover for an hour and a half then a four and half hour flight to Dallas. Arrived groggy and beat up but still feeling upbeat about experience, was picked up by both recruiters I had spoken to previously and taken out for a pleasant and quick lunch, no business was discussed. Then was brought to the offices where I was shown around briefly, interviewed briefly and then asked to give a demonstration on the game (which I had not had too many opportunities to learn) was assured that knowing the rules was not important for the exercise and was given more positive feedback. I was then told that my main interviewer was not in the office and another Skype interview would need to be scheduled "If they decided to go ahead with me" was then dropped off at the airport. Was at the airport a half hour when received a call from one of the recruiters letting me know that I "did great" and that they would be scheduling the next interview for me tomorrow. Two and half hour flight to north Carolina, hour layover, two hour flight home. Finally home around 1:30 am (22 hour day!) But things looked very good and I felt that this experience would likely pay off. Worth the two days I needed to take off of work to make this happen.

Interview was scheduled for two days later in late afternoon (didn't have to miss any work!) interviewer was very brief made me feel like this was just a formality. Asked me no questions but invited me to ask my own questions which i did afterwards the brief interview was concluded and I walked away from it with overwhelming confidence that I would be made an offer. I was told that I would contacted no later than the following Wednesday with their decision. All in all I'd say that performed well and that they led me to believe that they believed I was a good fit.

I was contacted the following Tuesday by a secretary who briefly told me that I would be hired and they are "Starting fresh with a new group of applicants." I have attempted to reach out for feedback as I am still confused where the process went bad, but they have been given no response. It's always a let down to be this far into an interview process and get dropped from consideration, but the time commitment as well as the overwhelming feeling that I was sugar-coated and misled left me with a bad taste in my mouth the whole of this experience.

My Feedback to Games Workshop is to treat people's time a little better. This process did not need to span two months and I didn't have to miss three days work for it.

Interview Questions

• What were my plans on how to expand customer base in my market.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.