Games Workshop Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Games Workshop Interview Questions

Interviews at Games Workshop

2.9

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Glen Burnie, MD (US)) in June 2009.

Interview

Awful! The VP sat and talked for over an hour about the entire company's history, products and business philosophies, spending no time talking about the position I applied for. After an hour and a half, I am allowed to ask questions. When asked about the specific responsibilities, she asked back "What do you think?", forcing me to come up with my own answer. She did this again for several other questions. Nevre really answering the questions but making me answer for her.

Only 20 mins. into the convo I wanted to walk out and I left there with very little info about the position. I politely withdrew my application a few days later.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Fairfax, VA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied after seeing a Facebook ad, and received a call on the next day from a very friendly recruiter. We scheduled a Skype interview for the following week. The Skype interview was very thorough, yet enjoyable and I felt good about it. They promised to call me the week after that, once they were done with all of their other interviews for this location, in order to let me know if they'll move forward with my application. They did call me, but they had picked somebody else for this location and offered me a similar position at another location, which was too far away from me, unfortunately. Overall, it was probably the best interview process I've ever had.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Took around 8 calls and 4 interviews in before I was rejected. The hiring managers where polite and decent to talk to. They where respectful of your needs and when they called.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (North Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

I wrote a letter and e-mailed it in and was contacted within a few days by a really friendly recruiter who just wanted to give me a brief run down of the job. He said they'd be going over cover letters and calling potential candidates at the beginning of the next week. It was a couple weeks later before someone called me (at 8pm) to set up a Skype interview the following Monday. The Skype interview seemed to go okay and I was told I'd be called on the following Friday and they'd let me know one way or another. I didn't hear back until the following Tuesday when I got a voicemail to call them back. I was hopeful that since they didn't just turn me down in my voicemail like most recruiters would do, that it was a good sign I'd get a second interview. I called back and left a message. It was few days before I was contacted again. After about a week of playing phone tag I was getting a little leery but thought maybe if that much effort was being made to actually speak with me that it was still a positive sign. But they just wanted to thank me for interviewing and said it "definitely wasn't a normal rejection and to please reapply if there were any openings in the future"
    Whatever that means...

I've been incredibly selective about what jobs I apply for when I relocated to Chicago and this job was something that really called to me. I thought I'd be really happy at it and do a good job. So of course I'm also disappointed, but that is something I can deal with and accept. The frustrating part is the unnecessary waste of time. The whole thing took well over a month. During this interview process I received 2 job offers which I turned down (not entirely because I was holding out for this job, but that did influence my decision a little, particularly on one of them). The fact that I was turning down jobs led me to stall my applications and wait to hear back, which was my choice, but there's still no reason it should take this long. Especially for a rejection.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in this role?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop.

Interview

Multiple phone conversations with hiring manager. This was followed by 2 skype interviews with one or more people. The questions where basic, they seemed more interested in games knowledge than sales knowledge. Core values promoted table top culture throughout the company. I had a difficult time with consistent communication but overall the experience was good

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Cincinnati, OH (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

You had to prove your ability to sell, take feedback, and follow direction. A willingness to think independently on your feet is absolutely necessary. Knowledge of this particular product is not necessary for this position. They were more interested if you knew how to run a business.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a sales pitch for an imaginary product after reading a handout for a few minutes.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Rochester, NY (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

I believe I was discriminated against based on my gender during the interview process with this company. After a Skype interview which went well I learned another candidate had been hired. This person had a two year arts degree from a public college while I have a four year scholarly degree from a highly ranked private university. This person had no management experience while I have nearly a decade of management experience. This person had no experience with the game and did not even know how to play based on Facebook posts they made after being hired about how customers were going to teach them how to play and repeatedly calling Age of Sigmar "Age of Signer." I on the other hand spent dozens of hours watching gameplay videos and learning the rules and mechanics of the game leading up to my interview so that I was intimately familiar with the game, as well as studying in-depth on the company's history and culture.

So while the person who got the job was under-qualified in almost every comparable sense and clearly put in so little effort they didn't even bother to learn the game, they were still hired over me. As previously mentioned my interview seemed to go really well and I presented several ideas I had to improve the store's networking and showed how passionate I was about the hobby. The only difference is that the person who got hired has drastically different political views and also a different gender. When I emailed Games Workshop to ask how I fell short as a candidate so I could work to improve on these things in the future, they refused to answer any questions about it which seemed suspicious.

Surprise, surprise the person they hired as the manager immediately hired on their best friend. What a coincidence their best friend just happened to be the most qualified for the job. This type of nepotism should be discouraged and it's what kills stores like this.

Interview Questions

• If you got the store what would be your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Memphis, TN (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

Was over the course of several month time frame. Had two phone interview, two skype interviews, and a face to face interview - as stressing as that is, try and maintain enthusiasm as it would appear if they select you, it's worth it. Stay patient.

Phone interviews were done very formally with standard questions; eligibility to work, age, consent to drug testing and background check. Second phone interview was more explaining what they were looking for and how to best proceed. Very simple yes/no, and follow up questions.

Skype interviews, I had two, were a bit more intensive but not very difficult. I thought I did well in answering the questions. They pose a lot of "how would you" and "what would you do if" questions. Answer truthfully. They're looking to see if you're a fit or not on a personality level, not if you're going to change the market place.

Face-to-face interview. This is where I blew it I believe. They fly you down to their office and you get to meet their awesome staff and see their warehouse and back end employee's. Everyone is very nice and they go out of their way to answer your questions. You then have the face-to-face with your recruiter and the head of the sales team. Sadly, I think this is where I went afoul - I was very exhausted (flying is NOT my thing, and my current job had me on edge and burned out) so I answered very shortly and did not impress. Again, they're looking for a good fit and someone with drive, and I believe I did not impress as I normally do. I think the right person could succeed if they're honest and are better motivated and not as worn out.

You get to ask managers questions, I suggest you do. Come prepared and have questions. If you do research on your own, like I did, re-ask the questions. I did not, and it may have affected my review. Also - and this is very important if you have any sort of ego - they will not tell you why you were rejected, just that they are moving on without your application. Do not take it personally, they are looking for someone with a personality that matches what they need/want, not everyone is going to fit the role.

Interview Questions

• Let's say you get the store, how will you make it yours?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Memphis, TN (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

Straightforward. More concerned with personality and ability to interact with people. They are a company that wants to grow and a large part of that is having strong sales people leading the store. Their questions are related to how you will succeed in the position and how you will attract new customers to the hobby. They do not want hobbyists who only wish to run the store as their own private club. They want someone who will leave the store open to all types.

Interview Questions

• How will you overcome sales that aren't meeting expectations?   2 Answers

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop in November 2015.

Interview

Going through the proper channels. The interview. Typical questions, I found the lady talking to me a bit monotone and cold, young and green behind the ears, wanting to explain her question she kind of cut me off. Now I have done recruiting also.
    Well the interview could of been better but went I thought alright, she replied with email my application is in process...
    I followed up and mentioned some ideas the company and I would be prepared to try if they would be interested (showing my interest etc as one does).
    Before this time I have made another contact recruiter within the company who does not see the wood for the trees, who also does not obviously read my profile and asks the questions that are staring him in his face.
    Well cut a long story short, I think after being too business mindset, they did not like someone like me prepared to actually give it some hammer have interest and make profit for them.
    Hence, keeping me in the void for a period of time and finally turning me down. Maybe better for me after all.
    A shame.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job and why you think we should pick you etc.....yawn.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.