Grant Thornton Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated 23 May 2017

2.7

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn regarding an opening with Grant Thornton. I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter that went well. I then did a phone interview with the overall program director that also went well. My third interview was with the person who I would have directly reported to. I was told that following that interview, I would be invited to meet with leadership and executives in person as well as some additional team members. After a somewhat lengthy phone interview process, I was never contacted again. After two attempts to reach the recruiter who sourced me, I gave up trying to touch base. I was really disappointed that I never received any more communication from the company letting me know why I was not selected to go any further in the process.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (New York, NY (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

phone interview with recruiter which lasted for about 30 minutes. then a followup interview with the hiring manager. People were very nice during the entire hiring and interview process.

Advisory Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I did an on-campus interview. It was the quickest interview of my life, he only asked me five questions and then asked if I had any questions for him. It lasted less than 20 minutes total. The questions were generally to be expected ("what have been your favorite classes?" "where do you see yourself in x years?") and then a couple behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you were working with a group and it wasn't going well. What role did you play in that situation?   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

In person 30 minute conversational. Was first recruited on campus at job fair. Interview was straight forward describing the job tasks and projects. Nice guy but no one got the offer and they ended up going with a grad student instead of an undergrad

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I went through on campus recruiting and was very impressed with everyone I met throughout the process. Typical interview questions for this type of job, interviewed only with higher level management

Summer Leadership Development Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Irvine, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied through my university's website and GT. Got an interview through on campus recruiting. The people were very welcoming and interview was conversational. I had two interviewers for my round one interviews; each were 30 minutes long. Afterwards, I was invited to fly to California to meet the firm.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about GT?   1 Answer

Advisory Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

First is an interview on campus with recruiting department. If they decide to continue then their will be an on-site interview with partners and then a lunch with all the team members.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

First call was with an outside Recruiter. He was great and thought I was a strong candidate based on cultural fit as well as professional experience. The second round was another phone call, this time directly with a member of the consulting team, more culture fit and "tell us about yourself and your background" questions. The last round was an intensive 3-hour in-person process. First hour was with two Consultants who walked through my CV and probed every project and previous job. Very detailed. 2nd hour was a case study with two consultants. No prep time and the case was given orally. Needed to identify weaknesses in the P&L (they had one when I asked) and make recomendations on whether or not to drop a product line. I was then given a 2nd case study focusing on change management and workforce augmentation. The last hour was with the VP. He came off like he didn't want to be there and was annoyed I was wasting his time.

Interview Questions

• Your client is a PE Firm and they just purchased a Mom & Pop shop in CA that makes surfboards. You just got the booked and learn their operating in a deficit. What do you do?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Referred by a friend. Had a phone interview that covered basic interests and fit. Then had an on-site interview with 2 managers, and went out to lunch with members from the RAS team. The interviews were good conversations, fairly straightforward, nothing to trip you up. Bring questions for them after the conversation is winding down.

After that i was asked to join the full team for a happy hour, and it seemed like a good fit. i was not offered the job immediately due to a hiring hault, but after nearly 3 months, i was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• How you deal with adversity in a client-serving scenario (say for a client who is being difficult)?   Answer Question

Word Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

I submitted an online application for the Word Processor position that the Chicago Grant Thornton office had available. I received an email from a recruiter in the Houston Grant Thornton office the same day requesting I contact her for a phone screen. I spoke with her on the phone the following day. Though it was not required information on the online application, the recruiter insisted I tell her my wage expectations and tell me what year I graduated from the university I attended. I gave her a broad range regarding my wage expectations and did not tell her the year I graduated (I felt she was trying to determine my age).

The recruiter contacted me three days later and indicated the company would like me to come in for an in-person interview in the Chicago office. I received an email from an HR coordinator in the Dallas Grant Thornton office scheduling the in-person interview.

Four days later, I had an in-person interview with two management employees in the Administrative area of the Chicago Grant Thornton office. I interviewed with each manager separately. They were both very pleasant and easy to talk with. It was a comfortable, easy interview.

The recruiter in Houston gave me a reason why the current person in the position was leaving and one interviewer in Chicago gave me a different story why the person was leaving, and actually indicated the person hadn't given their official resignation at the time of the interview. (I was offered the position and I found out that not only had the one person given a resignation, but another person had decided to retire, so I was one of two new people being hired.)

Another discrepancy during the interview: Both interviewers gave a very different description of certain aspects of the Word Processor position. One interviewer indicated the position placed a heavy emphasis on Microsoft Excel; the other interviewer indicated the position used Microsoft Word almost entirely, with very little Excel use.

I found the discrepancies somewhat concerning, but the interviewers were so friendly that I let it slide. When hired, I found the discrepancies were a sign of things to come.

Four days later, I received a call from the recruiter in Houston. She made me an offer. I accepted. I never heard from the recruiter again. From that point on, the HR coordinator sent a few emails. The background check was handled by multiple companies outside of Grant Thornton. I received various emails from them requesting information I had already provided Grant Thornton when I completed the online application. The company doing the background check was unable to contact my previous employer, so I had to provide W-2s from my former employer. I never heard from the recruiter or the coordinator regarding whether the background check was fully completed. While I was still receiving emails from the companies completing the background check, I received an email from a Chicago Grant Thornton HR employee scheduling my orientation. Though I had not received confirmation that the background check was complete, I showed up for the orientation. I guess the background check was fine!!

I would be working entirely in the Chicago Grant Thornton office and would have a desktop. The majority of Chicago Grant Thornton employees have a laptop. The person completing the orientation indicated she had never done an orientation for someone who didn't have a laptop. I was left sitting for large portions of the orientation while the employees with a laptop could work through parts of the orientation on their laptops. The orientation lasted almost one complete day. For lunch, two people in the Administrative area were assigned as "buddies" to take me to lunch. One "buddy" did not show up because she was unable to make it back from her out-of-state vacation. One of the people that interviewed me came along instead. Again, she was very pleasant to talk with. It would have been nice if the person who scheduled and led the orientation had indicated the orientation would be a daylong event and that I should not bring a lunch.

Note: The Word Processor job description needs to be updated!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.