Great Ormond Street Hospital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Great Ormond Street Hospital Interview Questions

Updated 3 May 2018

3.4

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Interview

Overall a really nice assessment day, lasts about 5 hours.

Online application- through NHS jobs.

Assessment day comprised of group activity, numeracy and literacy test and interview with two band sevens/eight

Organisation is good, staff are lovely and they are quick to get back to you with your result!

Medical Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England) in April 2016.

Interview

The process was simple as I applied internally so it didn't take long however I did feel when it came time for the face-to-face interview, I was being scrutinised with many questions that they knew I did not know the answer to as I was jumping from a heavy admin-based position. They exchanged many looks that genuinely had me squirming in my seat. I would recommend they do better in this.

Clinicians Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Made my application in November 4th 2015 via the NHS website. I put a lot of thought through the personal statement section which is fundamentally the most important bit. Took me roughly an hour but if you can easily do it in 30 minutes. I got a NHS text message on the 26th November (prob the week after the closing date of apps) saying I made it through the interview stage. I replied on the NHS website to accept the interview date on the 4th December. At first I couldn't get time off work and the lead Nurse was really nice and offered me a different date but finally my manager authorised my time off so I went on the 4th.

Went in there at 9am. It was a full day group assessment with 5 other people. We did a 20 minute maths test and 20 minutes English test. All relatively easy at GCSE level (but saying that I did get an two A's in both subjects at GCSE level). If you fail you do not go to interviews.

Following this we had a group conversation of "what will you do if...." "what is the best solution to resolve conflicts..." those types of questions. I think they just want to get to know you a bit more but there is no failing or passes, everyone at this stage is having an individual interview. This group chat lasted 3 minutes per two questions. If you have someone in your group that talks a lot then this will obviously last longer.

Finally, we all get our interview timings (I was last)! Interviews were 15mins each. So for 5 people I had to wait an 1hr15mins for my turn.

They called me up 3 days later (Interview was on Friday, they called me Monday morning) to let me know I got the job.

Interview Questions

• They asked me 5 simple questions. Scenario based questions, 'what will you do if..' Predominately it was all based on my previous work experience. It does not have to relate to child care. Questions like how do you cope under pressure or remain calm you can use any aspects to previous work.   1 Answer

Nurse Bob Interview

Interview

The experience was really bad because there was no experience of the behalf of the interviewer and questions mostly focused in general competencies of completion. Overall questions focused on knowledge of first aid as well as the use of paramedic honey tape.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if an infected patient came to the hospital without paperwork?   Answer Question

Biomedical Scientist - Histopathology Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England).

Interview

post Registrations Interview
    The interview process starts with an Ice breaker, tell us what you did since leaving UNI.
    Then some technical questions such as what does a particular antibody stain or what stain would you use to identify a structure.
    Obvious Health and safety questions such as what to do with a spillage? what do you do you when you have come across something you don't know what to do with? What to do when a dr messes up something?
    then the ISO 15189 questions , what do you know about it, its applications..etc. not expecting you to be an examiner for the ISO, just general awareness of it to show that you will be an effective member of the lab and will play your part it maintaining its compliances (that could form your answer)
    then a written test, you will have 20 slides to go through and identify structure, stain and quality issues, further what stain will you use for the identifying of certain structures.
    If lucky a tour around the lab

Interview Questions

• ISO 15189 questions , what do you know about it, its applications..etc.   1 Answer

Governance and Compliance Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

First stage - CV application was chosen and an interview was arranged.

Second stage - Attending the interview. Interview was with 3 people that dealt with the different aspects of the department.
    There were no tests required. It was quite an approachable interview.

Third stage - Wait to here if you received an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   1 Answer

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

I would never consider a role here again after my experience of their recruitment process. They were impossible to get hold of, unprofessional and don’t value their candidates. They don’t see recruitment as a priority either (my agent was constantly told they were out of the office, off sick, off site or on holiday)

An agency put me forward, but it was another two weeks before a phone interview took place. Second stage took place on-site interview with two BPs. No room had been booked. We were crammed into a tiny office with no aircon or open windows. One big distraction was that the interviewer brought in a laptop, and loudly typed out my responses as I answered questions. I’ve never before seen someone use a laptop to record an interview! Final stage would consist of a third interview and a presentation task (to ‘test a particular skill’) - from which I understood that they were giving each candidate a different presentation topic – not a balanced and fair process.

I received the presentation brief at 7pm a few days before the interview- my agency had been trying and failing to get hold of the interviewer and finally heard from them at this time. The topic was directly related to the company’s strategic objectives, and the size of the task equated to several day’s work. Against my better judgement, I put in a huge amount of effort and set aside my weekend to complete this. I’m kicking myself now, as they were quick to scribble down all the ideas and initiatives shared with them during the presentation and even requested a softcopy of my work sent by email! Free consulting if ever I saw it.

There was no structure to their interviews, and oddly the line manager was present in all three interviews, so I spent a lot of time repeating myself. My final interview was several weeks ago, I just heard I was unsuccessful but have received no feedback whatsoever. This is inexcusable and insulting after a 5 week process, three rounds of interviews, an intensive presentation task plus a ‘chemistry meeting’ with another team member.

The line manager seemed inexperienced for their seniority and essentially I’m glad I didn’t proceed further. Everything you hear about the charity sector was true for this company. They gush about their culture, but don't embody their values.

Interview Questions

• What was the most complicated ER case you have worked on?   Answer Question

Manager On IT Side Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Great Ormond Street Hospital (London, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied via agency.
    Face to face interview with 2 people - line/hiring manager & peer of post applying for.
    Mainly discussion about plans, strategy and organisation.
    4 weeks after interview, no feedback despite 2 follow-ups.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.