Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.7

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Account Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, KY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, KY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Lots of questions about experience, where you would like to go in the future and what if scenarios. Generally laid back but kept it's serious nature. A good, overall interview with good interviwers

Interview Questions

• If you could invite 5 guests to a party, who would they be?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2015.

Interview

So far just a phone interview, but she was very nice and eager to have me come in for an in-person interview. She asked about my experience and interest in the company and also told me briefly about the job description, growth potential and training opportunities, since this will be an entry-level role for me.

Community Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King's Cross, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (King's Cross, England) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online through the careers page.

They were slow responding. It took several months to hear back from the initial application in which time I completed multiple interviews and accepted an offer elsewhere.

The people were nice and worked with me to arrange an appropriate interview date. There wasn't much hope initially as all of their interview times were during shifts I mentioned I'd be working. It was a slow process, which they mentioned would be difficult due to them already having started second and third stage interviews with other candidates. At the least, it is commendable that they worked their hardest to try and find a mutually acceptable time.

The office seemed like a nice environment and from what I experienced it was fairly clean and relatively modern.

The interview itself was fairly straightforward. I was taken to a meeting room with a few members of staff and asked fairly standard questions. The interviewers didn't seem very enthusiastic however the content of the interview was informative and I learnt quite a bit about how the team functions.

Following the interview I was told that they would contact me in a week or two, however I still have yet to hear from them (almost 3 months later.) Due to having started somewhere else, I felt more skeptical about any potential offer than I otherwise would have been. Ultimately they could improve their processes by being more responsive, both following an application and following any interview. Communication is important.

+ Nice office
    + Nice people
    - Rubbish response times

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Guardian?   Answer Question
    • Are you aware of our editorial angle?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • A mock scenario where they ask you which order you prioritize tasks. It lacked a lot of detail and background so you need to make your own assumptions and talk them through your thought process.   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

A brief interview with two head of's who are leading Data Engineering and Research, in lieu of Head of Analytics which has not been hired yet.
    They adjusted the Job Description days before my interview, so was a large pivot towards management experience.

Analytics questions were quite simple at this stage, some basic SQL questions, and some intermediate digital analytics/media questions.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in September 2015.

Interview

I had a telephone interview which was extremely short and covered only the basic screening questions. This was followed approx 1 week later by a 2 on 1 interview with members of the team. This was more in depth but was not overly difficult. I enjoyed the process and would recommend people apply here as it was extremely pleasant.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have of evaluating data   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2016.

Interview

One face to face interview with two people, was very friendly and relaxed, was more of a chat than a formal interview. However was quite disappointed with the recruitment, despite being assured I would hear back the same day with feedback as they wanted to wrap things up within the week, a week and a half later I still have not heard anything despite having sent an email. This put a negative spin on the overall experience, the sheer lack of follow up.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Interview

Straight from telephone interview to pairing test which was a bit odd. Companies would usually want a F2F interview but the Guardian seemed happy with just telephone then invited me in for pairing. If you're a developer it's worth noting they use Scala, and they're good at Scala. Don't think you can just do a couple of tutorials and then rock up to the coding test expecting to blag Scala, you'll mess it up like I did ;)

Also they don't seem to like chatting, they want you to turn up, do it quickly, then let them do the talking.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call followed by pair programming followed by a chat with some developers (on separate days).

After being told that I would get a reply within 4-5 days, I chased a few weeks later and was told that although I was an "excellent" candidate, the position had been closed due to a restructure.

Interview Questions

• Explain the entire process of an HTTP request.   1 Answer

Talent Acquisition Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in March 2017.

Interview

Great communication from application through till second stage interview. After the second stage I did not even receive a courtesy update or note to advise of feedback...
    Quite disappointing considering the stature of the organization.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Interview

I applied via the online form and then was informed about two to three in fact maybe four or five weeks later that I would have a telephone interview. The line was really bad, but I could just about hear them. There were two people on the line - the interviewer and a recent graduate employee. There was plenty of opportunity to ask questions and I promptly received feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions

• How have you worked together on a technical project with someone. What did you disagree on and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.