Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Guardian News & Media Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2018

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2015.

Interview

So far just a phone interview, but she was very nice and eager to have me come in for an in-person interview. She asked about my experience and interest in the company and also told me briefly about the job description, growth potential and training opportunities, since this will be an entry-level role for me.

Communications/Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied through a temp staffing agency, so had a brief meeting with the recruiter. Met for an interview with one of my line managers, which lasted around 30 minutes. It was a brief overview of my CV, why I wanted to work for the Guardian and some straightforward competency questions. The interviewer was really warm and got a really good vibe about what it would be like working on the team.

Then I had a phone interview 2 days later with the other line manager, this was a bread overview of my CV again and some quick competency questions. Another very pleasant interview, which really made me feel confident in the role.

Overall, I found that the questions they asked me were useful and interesting really allowing me to show my passion for the role.

I heard back a week after.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think The Guardian faces?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle an urgent press enquiry regarding a crisis   Answer Question

Health Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England).

Interview

I was invited for an interview 2 weeks after applying. On arriving for my interview it soon became clear someone was already earmarked for the post and the interview was just a formality. I was kept waiting for 30 minutes, the interviewer (an editor) didn't know my name, had to go through all the applications/CVs in front of me to pull up my CV - essentially it was extremely unprofessional and they were unapologetic about it.
    I felt I performed well in the interview, had good rapport with the interviewer. However there was no follow up after the interview. Weeks later HR informed me I was unsuccessful and told me to contact the editor for feedback. I did so, but he ignored my email.

Interview Questions

• Why Guardian? Why this role? What skills do you have to offer?   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

A brief interview with two head of's who are leading Data Engineering and Research, in lieu of Head of Analytics which has not been hired yet.
    They adjusted the Job Description days before my interview, so was a large pivot towards management experience.

Analytics questions were quite simple at this stage, some basic SQL questions, and some intermediate digital analytics/media questions.

Talent Acquisition Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in March 2017.

Interview

Great communication from application through till second stage interview. After the second stage I did not even receive a courtesy update or note to advise of feedback...
    Quite disappointing considering the stature of the organization.

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

The Guardian does not conduct interviews when hiring casual staff. You just write to them stating your experience and they may give you some trial shifts if they think you fit the bill.

Interview Questions

• The kind of thing they want to know if you are applying for freelance shifts is: where are you working? How long have you worked there? What are your duties? Because there is a large focus on its website, they will also want to know how up to date your online skills are.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2016.

Interview

One face to face interview with two people, was very friendly and relaxed, was more of a chat than a formal interview. However was quite disappointed with the recruitment, despite being assured I would hear back the same day with feedback as they wanted to wrap things up within the week, a week and a half later I still have not heard anything despite having sent an email. This put a negative spin on the overall experience, the sheer lack of follow up.

Audience Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

Consisted of 3 interviews.

First one was a phone conversation, 30min max, about my interests.
    Second one was a one hour interview where I had to prepare a report based in a database they sent me before, nothing too difficult. But it was a great opportunity to show my skills.
    The third interview was just a final round, about my analytical skill. Very tough questions, but I did quite well.

Unfortunately, when I went there for the final interview, I realized that they had already made a decision to go with another candidate before even interviewing me - very unprofessional. However, they really liked me and they have forwarded my application to another position (which was actually a better fit for me).

I finally had a fourth interview, for this other position. One week later they called me offering a position. I asked for 20% more on the salary and got it.

Overall, very good.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good metric?
      Questions about the Seven Bridges of Konigsberg   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted through online portal. Received schedule for a phone interview with 1 developer and 1 team leader. Both interviewers were friendly and gave me adequate time to respond to the questions. I didn't have experience in the primary language they use (Scala) but I believe if I was able to answer their questions with more detail I would have received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What are all the things that happen when you press enter on a URL in a browser?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Interview

Straight from telephone interview to pairing test which was a bit odd. Companies would usually want a F2F interview but the Guardian seemed happy with just telephone then invited me in for pairing. If you're a developer it's worth noting they use Scala, and they're good at Scala. Don't think you can just do a couple of tutorials and then rock up to the coding test expecting to blag Scala, you'll mess it up like I did ;)

Also they don't seem to like chatting, they want you to turn up, do it quickly, then let them do the talking.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.