Jagex Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 54 of over 54 interviews

Recruiter18%
Employee Referral8%
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex (London, England, England)

Interview

Interviewing and liaising with this company is a liability, multiple interviews for different departmental roles and nothing more than a single sentence of feedback if any. Even getting the interviews was a constant case of following up to arrange them and then the same again to find out the outcome. If your idea of interviews is being messed around to either be told you're over qualified or not strong enough for the role then get applying to the fun house.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex (Cambridge, East of England, England, England) in Aug 2021

Interview

Questions to see if I had the same experience in the same tools and used them in the same way. Very unfriendly and unprofessional experience. They did not seem interested in anything ese about my skills or personality that I could bring to the role or company.

Interview Questions
  • Did I use the same tools as them?
    1 Answer

Jagex

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex in Jun 2021

Interview

My experience was sadly very negative, due to feeling strung along and having the goalposts moved both in the process and format. This isn’t the type of conduct I would expect from a long-established game studio, and I hope their leadership review this with respect to their own processes and to ensure this doesn’t become commonplace, as it was unnecessarily disheartening at best and indirectly discriminatory at worst. A recruiter called less than 24 hours after I applied and seemed extremely excited about me. There was no email in advance, so this caught me off-guard. It felt like he was selling me Jagex and the position. He asked questions that were promising and noted that I could be hired in a junior position, if my experience was lacking. He said the interviews are designed to get to know me and my skills, and would involve a one-on-one with the team lead then a panel interview with the data engineers. A few days later, the interview with the team lead went extraordinarily well. It sounded like a great team to work with and like I would be able to grow in this position. I was informed there would be a coding exam after the panel interview. The recruiter called later to say feedback had been positive, which was wonderful to hear. At the panel interview, everyone had clearly gone over my portfolio and CV, as the questions were about my skills, experience, and projects. The atmosphere was kind and positive, and I was assured that I would be able to learn and make adjustments easily based on my background. Later, I had a voicemail and email from the recruiter saying the feedback was highly positive, and that he wanted to get my thoughts on working at Jagex. According to all interactions, everything seemed to be coming together incredibly well and there were strong hints that this would be my next position. However, the recruiter now wanted to schedule the “second” interview, which was unexpected, as I had just finished it. He said there was also a panel interview with the game devs, which he kept referring to as the second, despite the process being laid out by two different parties as described above. The job is a bridge between the teams, so it didn’t seem out of place. I was excited about the position, so I was excited to meet more people. I assumed the coding exam would come after. The final interview diverged in content and didn’t feel as friendly. It seemed as if they didn’t have questions prepared, and the bulk of the interview was asking me what I would like to track in various games (both real and hypothetical, primarily from other studios and developers), rather than getting to know my background. The only example from RuneScape came from a minigame I mentioned earlier, but the one questioning me hadn’t played it. I found it hard to answer, as I also had to explain the minigame to him. I would have appreciated more focus and for any evaluation of my skills to be based on real world situations rather than being put on the spot. While telemetry is the bulk of this position, I was given no insight into what was already being tracked or input on what they wanted. I assume Jagex has specific goals, so asking what I would personally track from various games seems moot. Further, I’m neurodiverse with disabilities, and this unexpected format was extremely stressful. As the telemetry pseudo-quiz started up fairly quickly, by the time they were asking me anything about my experiences, I was incredibly anxious. I can’t imagine this follows protocol, as the expected coding exam would have been a more appropriate way of evaluating my skills. While the first panel had obviously taken time to review my provided materials (despite only having the weekend to do so), the second seemed not to have (despite having 7+ days). Analytics on my portfolio indicated that one of the devs viewed my portfolio for the first time during the interview (when I mentioned a specific project page), and minimal engagement otherwise. Only one viewed my LinkedIn right before or during the interview. Knowing this, I don’t believe I was being given appropriate consideration, especially since shortly after a recruiter with whom I had never interacted wrote to say that I didn’t meet requirements. I asked the recruiter for feedback, but he never responded. This made the entirety of what had occurred before seem wildly inappropriate and misleading, especially considering that the job posting remains up, unaltered, as it has for 2+ months. Whether or not I meet requirements should have been sussed out before a recruiter called me, not after two weeks of being misled. I feel strongly that the goalposts were moved (the added interview and jarring divergence in format) and, if this follows their interviewing procedures, I hope they will review them for indirect discrimination against neurodiverse and disabled individuals, as well as consistency and transparency.

Interview Questions
  • Recruiter: what pay range do you expect?
  • Recruiter: are you okay to start remotely then move to 1-2 days in the office?
  • Panel 1 (data engineering team): do you feel confident in learning new things and motivated to do so (partly because the game is written in a non-standard script)?
  • Panel 1: can you describe your experience working with a team?
  • Panel 1: if you could implement telemetry in RuneScape right now, what would you track?
  • Panel 1: what was one of the challenges you faced on a project, and how did you overcome it?
  • Panel 1: do you have experience in conflict resolution?
  • Panel 2 (game dev team): what would you track in <your game; the Legend of Zelda; Fallout; a certain minigame in RuneScape>?
  • Panel 2, after giving an example of how poor telemetry planning crashed the launch of a game they worked on: can you think of a way to track kills without causing a crash?
  • Panel 2: what would you track in a "shooter" (later specified as FPS, after I asked for clarification)?
  • Panel 2: can you describe a time that you had a conflict and how it was resolved?
  • Panel 2: why do you want to pursue data science?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Jagex (London, England, England) in Apr 2021

Interview

I was first called up to be told I was selected out of a large number of applicants, which made me feel really great! I was then told that my interview process was going to go forward, and I'll get an email through about the interview. The interview was held over zoom, I had 1 proper interview, and then a few other little 'catch up' calls, these were all wonderful! I was told a few technical questions, and they were great and patient with my answers if I had to take an educated guess! I haven't started my first day yet, but so far they have treated me absolutely amazing, and I really feel like I've got all the support I need!

Interview Questions
  • A question about using pointers, Pass by Reference/Value
  • I had to pick one of my favorite games and explain how I would implement the core mechanics.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex (Cambridge, East of England, England, England) in Jan 2021

Interview

I applied online via Jagex's website by submitting a CV. I received a call from their Recruitment Team 11 days later inviting me to an initial Zoom interview. The Zoom interview was with the Senior Director of Player Experience (lovely guy!) and it lasted around 45 minutes. The interviewer gave an introduction to Jagex as a company and what the Player Support & Player Experience Team do within Jagex. I was then shown some dashboards to illustrate the kind of data I would be working with. We then ran through my CV and spoke about how my skills would fit the role I was applying for. Most of the interview was more of a get-to-know-you given the close culture at Jagex. At the end of the Zoom call, the interviewer invited me to attend a virtual assessment day the following week. The virtual assessment day was held 3 weeks after my initial CV application. The assessment days are usually held at their offices in Cambridge, however due to Covid the assessment centre was to be conducted virtually. The assessment day lasted from 10am - 4pm, with an hour break for lunch. The day was broken down into various different elements, which included: - A more detailed introduction from the Senior Director of Player Experience - An separate interview with 2 senior members of Jagex - A practical forecasting excel exercise - A practical data analysis excel exercise - A final interview / chat with the Senior Director of Player Experience I received a call the next day with an offer which I accepted. The whole process, from start to finish, was a very enjoyable experience. My review would have been the same even if I hadn't received an offer. The communication from the Recruitment Team was outstanding. The interviewers were genuinely nice people and interested to learn more about you. At times it felt like you were talking to a group of friends because the interviewers were so approachable and made you feel at ease.

Interview Questions
  • In your opinion what do you feel are the most important considerations when it comes to forecasting operations in the workplace?

Jagex

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Jagex in Dec 2020

Interview

Poor form and communication from recruiters, number of booked calls missed. Follow ups took chasing and way too much time between comms. Left a bad taste to what internal comms are like if this is outward facing.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Jagex

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Jagex in Nov 2020

Interview

A quick chat with the internal recruiter and then an hour session with the data engineering team going over my skills and background and what they needed for the role, very nice team it seems like. The team got back to me within an hour or two which was amazing. I turned it down because I decided I want to go back to an office when offices open again, and they are based in Cambridge.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex (Cambridge, East of England, England, England) in Oct 2020

Interview

Jagex's recruiter headhunted me for an artist position, citing my current role as being excellent experience. I had an intro call and then an art test. The whole took about 4 weeks. The initial call was fine - the recruiter was really friendly and gave me the hard sell on why the company is great to work for. He asked specific questions about my experience and what a Senior role would entail. I was asked to do an art test (at Senior level art tests are always a bit of a red flag that a company doesn't know what they want) - They used an excuse that my previously "excellent" experience was now called into question because the genre of game I had worked on before was not the same as the genre of the project I was interviewing for. I accepted to do the art test anyway. The art test was roughly 16 hours worth of work (roughly 2 days) - they sent me plenty of materials to help inform the work, and I did the art test to the best of my ability. I promptly returned the art test to them on time and awaited feedback. The feedback took THREE WEEKS to arrive. I asked the recruiter a few times about progress on it and there seemed to be some kind of delay in providing it. The eventual rejection email was extremely generic and they just said the work wasn't "what they were looking for". There was very little to analyse to help me improve in any way.

Interview Questions
  • Asked about commuting to Cambridge Post pandemic
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Jagex (Cambridge, East of England, England, England) in Sep 2020

Interview

I've been contacted on LinkedIn. I've got a first chat at the phone, and an interview scheduled the week after. After literally ten minutes, the interviewer didn't know what to ask, he probably couldn't hide I wasn't what he wanted. I'm still wondering if they've read my resume before contacting me, and starting the process. I've spent the rest of the interview with the feeling the interviewer just wanted to finish, and I didn't have any update thereafter. A bad experience, not so professional tbh also without even following up with an conclusive email.

Interview Questions
  • Very generic questions about my infrastructure experience, interviewer seemed to be unsure on what to ask.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jagex (Cambridge, East of England, England, England) in Apr 2020

Interview

Screening call with talent recruiter; main video interview with lead Producer; culture fit video interview with VP of studio; team fit interview with Executive Producer; follow up call with talent recruiter

Interview Questions
  • How would you handle a dispute between ideologically different personalities?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 Interviews